In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kiwi917

Bronze

Re: In at NYU

Post by Kiwi917 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 am

sarahh wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
hellome wrote:
re-applicant wrote:Let's some activity in this thread. Do we know when the ASW is yet?
Scroll up
oops.

Also, I received an invitation in my inbox this morning to a regional event in San Francisco on February 7 with Dean Revesz and alumni. Is anyone planning to attend?
I might attend. The location is awful for me, though.
I am thinking about it, but I doubt I can get out of work in time to make it. Maybe just for the second half.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:38 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:I'm looking to decide between this an UChicago right now.
I'm visiting them back-to-back in the same trip. So excited!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:09 am

eskimo wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:I'm looking to decide between this an UChicago right now.
I'm visiting them back-to-back in the same trip. So excited!
Really? I mean I'm in the Midwest right now and have friends from Chi-Town so I was thinking about just going up there a weekend. Not sure if it would be the same as an official visit, but it would save me the money. I haven't been to NY in years so I would definitely fly out for that to figure out NYU.

Let me ask you this, is UChicago really the place where "fun goes to die" LOL? Secondly, I don't have a strong econ background...AT ALL, will I be hampered there? I mean I don't mind reading up on my economics the summer before matriculating if it comes to that, I've been planning to do that anyway. I was just wondering. I know they semi-answered it on their website, but you seem to be a UChicago stalker LOL..so I figured you would know.

NYU seems like a place I'd like a lot...and I like their clinicals more than UChicago's...in fact that's my only knock on UChicago from what I've seen. Their clinical program doesn't seem that extensive though some of them appear interesting. I don't think I saw a mediation/negotiation clinic.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Really? I mean I'm in the Midwest right now and have friends from Chi-Town so I was thinking about just going up there a weekend. Not sure if it would be the same as an official visit, but it would save me the money. I haven't been to NY in years so I would definitely fly out for that to figure out NYU.

Let me ask you this, is UChicago really the place where "fun goes to die" LOL? Secondly, I don't have a strong econ background...AT ALL, will I be hampered there? I mean I don't mind reading up on my economics the summer before matriculating if it comes to that, I've been planning to do that anyway. I was just wondering. I know they semi-answered it on their website, but you seem to be a UChicago stalker LOL..so I figured you would know.

NYU seems like a place I'd like a lot...and I like their clinicals more than UChicago's...in fact that's my only knock on UChicago from what I've seen. Their clinical program doesn't seem that extensive though some of them appear interesting. I don't think I saw a mediation/negotiation clinic.
Well Chicago gives a travel stipend for ASW if you're more than 150 miles away, so you can go cheaply then!

I hate to disappoint, but everything I know about Chi (the school) is from the threads on TLS - I haven't visited the law school yet. I've been to the UG campus and Hyde Park, and my mom's from Chicago so I've been there a lot (and love it, of course!), but most of my love for the school is wanting to be in Chicago (the city), and I've had my heart set on the T6 for law school, so it was the best of the three for me. Sorry I'm not of more help, but I think visits will be really helpful for you! Good luck in the decision!

hotshot234512

New

Post by hotshot234512 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:40 am

did your envelopes come to your permanent or current address

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:53 am

hotshot234512 wrote:did your envelopes come to your permanent or current address
Current.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:10 am

arite i didnt get an envelope yet but i was dls 1/18 and can log into the website sooo i'm going to just do it and chime in here! Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the ass in a few days.

But I have a few questions (yes I did not read through the first 3 pages of this thread. sue me.). How does financial aid work? So we fill out of a FAFSA and a Need Access and then wait?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:19 am

Can someone chime in when they were able to access the admitted site post-DLS notification?

brightheart

New

Post by brightheart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:10 am

Hey everyone!

Has anyone decided on when to visit yet? Looks like we have three options to choose from! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:29 am

brightheart wrote:Hey everyone!

Has anyone decided on when to visit yet? Looks like we have three options to choose from! :)
Last one for sure! Gonna be awesome.

brightheart

New

Post by brightheart » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:33 am

eskimo wrote:

Eskimo, have you applied to any of the scholarships? I do not want to visit NYU twice if I happen to get an interview (that is, a big IF :) ), so I want to know whether mid-April can be the time for both ASW and scholarship interviews.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:19 pm

No, I didn't. I didn't see any that were not for those interested in PI or first-generation students, and I am neither of those.

(If I missed one, just let me live in blissful ignorance.)

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:32 pm

brightheart wrote:
eskimo wrote:

Eskimo, have you applied to any of the scholarships? I do not want to visit NYU twice if I happen to get an interview (that is, a big IF :) ), so I want to know whether mid-April can be the time for both ASW and scholarship interviews.
Probably going to the last one. I applied for one, but let's just say my chances aren't stellar :) . If by some miracle I get an interview, then I guess I'll just be going up there twice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:32 pm

kicking myself for not applying for a scholarship! i thought it was too much of a long shot to even get in, let alone be considered for a scholly. it's...definitely too late to apply for those right?

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm

i mean don't you have to have a good reason to be applying to one of those? lol it would be pretty hard for me to honestly say that i fit into any of those categories. Except maybe the Furman one? Not a lot of detail on that one.

alicen

Bronze

Post by alicen » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:04 pm

glitched wrote:i mean don't you have to have a good reason to be applying to one of those? lol it would be pretty hard for me to honestly say that i fit into any of those categories. Except maybe the Furman one? Not a lot of detail on that one.
hahah i do have a good reason, but i'm assuming the deadline has definitely passed?

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:07 pm

hahaha dangit. i was hoping someone would say that even if you don't have a good reason, you should apply for a chance at $. but guess not. yeah i think the deadline was jan 1. Or that's when you needed your jd application in by to be considered for those scholarships? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out when we do need access or fafsa. Hell - i'm still waiting for a letter to arrive. LOL i'm DLS 1/18 still. This might get reallly awkward for me in a few days.

Also: 200th post on TLS.. uh oh.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brightheart

New

Post by brightheart » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 am

glitched wrote:hahaha dangit. i was hoping someone would say that even if you don't have a good reason, you should apply for a chance at $. but guess not. yeah i think the deadline was jan 1. Or that's when you needed your jd application in by to be considered for those scholarships? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out when we do need access or fafsa. Hell - i'm still waiting for a letter to arrive. LOL i'm DLS 1/18 still. This might get reallly awkward for me in a few days.

A few days ago I got emails that asked me to submit the need assess form. Kinda lost right now how to get started. :shock:

mala2

Bronze

Post by mala2 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:16 am

haha the cat reminds me of my new york friend from undergrad who transferred to NYU. He was so hip he didn't have to worry about scholarships:)

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:35 am

brightheart wrote:
glitched wrote:hahaha dangit. i was hoping someone would say that even if you don't have a good reason, you should apply for a chance at $. but guess not. yeah i think the deadline was jan 1. Or that's when you needed your jd application in by to be considered for those scholarships? I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out when we do need access or fafsa. Hell - i'm still waiting for a letter to arrive. LOL i'm DLS 1/18 still. This might get reallly awkward for me in a few days.

A few days ago I got emails that asked me to submit the need assess form. Kinda lost right now how to get started. :shock:
it's a standard financial aid form; not much different from the fafsa.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:02 pm

OFFICIALLY. I. AM. OFFICIALLY. IN! LOL just chiming in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

awahoya

Bronze

Post by awahoya » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 am

glitched wrote:OFFICIALLY. I. AM. OFFICIALLY. IN! LOL just chiming in.
Congratulations!!!! :D

Question- does anyone know the relative ease of receiving a travel subsidy to attend an ASW? I live abroad so am not searching for 100% coverage, but I'd love to come see the school and meet some of y'all at the March 31-Apr 1 one and so will be applying for one.

SentinelsOfEvil

Bronze

Post by SentinelsOfEvil » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 am

awahoya wrote:
glitched wrote:OFFICIALLY. I. AM. OFFICIALLY. IN! LOL just chiming in.
Congratulations!!!! :D

Question- does anyone know the relative ease of receiving a travel subsidy to attend an ASW? I live abroad so am not searching for 100% coverage, but I'd love to come see the school and meet some of y'all at the March 31-Apr 1 one and so will be applying for one.
+1

I'd like to know that too. If the subsidy is worth it, I'd like to make the trip to an ASW too

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:39 am

I thought nyu was one of the ones that didn't do travel stipends? I really hope I'm wrong about this :/

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:09 pm

Spykuh wrote:I thought nyu was one of the ones that didn't do travel stipends? I really hope I'm wrong about this :/
Just got off the phone with them. You have to email the law school financial aid office and request a subsidy. Let them know what weekend you want to attend and what other asw's you'll be attending (presumably schools that will make them jealous).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”