In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sgtgrumbles

Silver

Re: In at NYU

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 pm

neonx wrote:Did anyone write RTK specific essays? I just checked all of the scholarship boxes at the end and hoped for the best. To be honest, I never even thought I had a chance of getting accepted to the school, much less one of their scholarships, and by the time I received the purple envelope, the deadline to scholarship essays had already passed. Interestingly, my personal statement wasn't even on public interest (save for one or two lines at the end. Maybe they looked at the PI-slant on my resume?

Either way, I'm pumped to visit NYU!
I didn't write an RTK-specific essay. I was worried that this would hurt me, but I talked to a faculty member who works on the RTK team and was told not to worry about it. My personal statement was about PI stuff, which suffices.

But wait, one of the scholarship app requirements was an extra LOR that addresses your commitment to PI...did you submit one?

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:00 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
neonx wrote:Did anyone write RTK specific essays? I just checked all of the scholarship boxes at the end and hoped for the best. To be honest, I never even thought I had a chance of getting accepted to the school, much less one of their scholarships, and by the time I received the purple envelope, the deadline to scholarship essays had already passed. Interestingly, my personal statement wasn't even on public interest (save for one or two lines at the end. Maybe they looked at the PI-slant on my resume?

I didn't write an RTK-specific essay. I was worried that this would hurt me, but I talked to a faculty member who works on the RTK team and was told not to worry about it. My personal statement was about PI stuff, which suffices.

But wait, one of the scholarship app requirements was an extra LOR that addresses your commitment to PI...did you submit one?
I submitted three LORs to every school: 2 academics, 1 work related (though all three addresses my softs/PI-interest.)

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:04 pm

mel2010 wrote:

I didn't write the specific one because my personal statement was all about it and I thought my softs would back it up a little. That being said, I thought I'd get into the school but I did not have high hopes for the scholly, just figured I'd give it a shot. At this point though, just waiting to get rejected and find out what my regular financial aid offer will be, if anything...

Edit: Does anyone have an idea about whether it's worth sending updates during the financial aid process? I got good midterm grades and my senior thesis was nominated for an award, but I don't know if that merits bugging them about it. Thanks either way...
I did the same here (I would have been almost repeating my personal statement verbatim if I were to write the RTK specific essay), but since it clearly didn't work so well for me, maybe I should have wrote one.

Oh well, I hope I get some $$, but I always knew RTK was a very very very long shot.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 pm

Hmm, the expected ding did not come.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:40 pm

Omg, I just got the interview! I just applied for the general RTK, but they want to consider me for Sinsheimer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:51 pm

sarahh wrote:Omg, I just got the interview! I just applied for the general RTK, but they want to consider me for Sinsheimer.
Congratulations! I guess we were wrong about all the invitations having gone out already. Now I'll try willing my phone to ring...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Slick. They asked you to interview for a different scholarship than the one you applied for? (Looking it up, I also found out there is more than one Jacobson scholarship...)

This process is pretty great.

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:31 pm

ahduth wrote:Slick. They asked you to interview for a different scholarship than the one you applied for? (Looking it up, I also found out there is more than one Jacobson scholarship...)

Kind of. It still falls under RTK. They thought it would be a good fit based on my interests and I agreed.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Not as exciting as the named scholarships, but my aid application is finally in the final stage of review, hopefully that means a decision will come soon next week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:54 am

sarahh wrote:
ahduth wrote:Slick. They asked you to interview for a different scholarship than the one you applied for? (Looking it up, I also found out there is more than one Jacobson scholarship...)

Kind of. It still falls under RTK. They thought it would be a good fit based on my interests and I agreed.
CONGRATS!!!

Still radio silence for me, sigh.

New

Post by 5251 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 am

LinzerTorte wrote:
sarahh wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Ditto here - the last time I checked, the website said RTK applicants should hear back by March 21, so hopefully we get some kind of closure on Monday...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:10 am

Not that I'm expecting anything from them, but after filling out NeedAccess do I just chill and wait until my financial aid application becomes active?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:46 pm

5251 wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
sarahh wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Ditto here - the last time I checked, the website said RTK applicants should hear back by March 21, so hopefully we get some kind of closure on Monday...
Which website?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

New

Post by 5251 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:22 am

I'm not sure which of the others are still interviewing, but the RTK timeline is here: http://www.law.nyu.edu/publicinterestla ... /index.htm

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 am

law_monkey wrote:
neonx wrote:So, how many users on this board are going to the RTK interview? I feel like we should be besties and quick.
Meeee!!!!! And yes we should all be besties now so we can all be besties for real next fall after we've all won the scholly! :D
Heyo, checkin in, friends. Anyone got info on what the interview is like? Other than intense n in front of 7 people of high achievement?

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:58 pm

I know it's a new process this year, but does anyone have any idea how long they'll take to get back to you on appealing your offer?

cboo

New

Post by cboo » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm

Hi all. I got a Furman interview invite about a week ago. Does anyone have any info on the Furman interview process? I gather about a third of RTK and AnBryce interviewees are offered the scholarship, but can't find any comparable Furman info despite neurotically scouring the internet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cawquette

New

Post by cawquette » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:53 am

supahstahxruv wrote:for those who were at the first ASW, is it normal for people to bring guests? Penn's ASW email stated that guests were welcome, so I'm planning on bringing a friend who wants to go for fun, but I don't see any mention of it on the NYU website and I don't want to bring someone along if that's frowned upon/they aren't planning for the space to accommodate +1's...

thanks!
i'm also gonna bring a guest. i posted a question about this earlier in the forum and some people posted it'd be ok except for some events. see you there! ;)

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:09 am

Aaaaaand, here we are, March 21st.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:10 am

LinzerTorte wrote:Aaaaaand, here we are, March 21st.
10 days until ASW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet everyone!!!

pocketwatcher

New

Post by pocketwatcher » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:Aaaaaand, here we are, March 21st.
Indeed. I guess that's that then. Hopefully RTK gives me the courtesy of a ding email here soon...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

New

Post by 5251 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Meep, I just got the RTK email - it looks like they're still going out.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

5251 wrote:Meep, I just got the RTK email - it looks like they're still going out.
Wait, you got an email instead of a call? Are you abroad?

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:16 pm

5251 wrote:Meep, I just got the RTK email - it looks like they're still going out.
Congratulations! Boy, they are cutting it pretty close with the flights.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:19 pm

sarahh wrote:
Congratulations! Boy, they are cutting it pretty close with the flights.
No kidding! Luckily we don't have to pay! :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”