In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
birdlaw117

Gold

Re: In at NYU

Post by birdlaw117 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:56 pm

pulandasu wrote:Thanks for all your help.

My petition today was denied by the school. I've asked for an explanation hoping they can overturn the decision, but highly unlikely. I guess they need to be loyal to other grad programs within their university.
I expected this to happen, but sorry nonetheless! Hopefully you can still make it happen. Good luck with everything!

pulandasu

Bronze

Post by pulandasu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
pulandasu wrote:Thanks for all your help.

My petition today was denied by the school. I've asked for an explanation hoping they can overturn the decision, but highly unlikely. I guess they need to be loyal to other grad programs within their university.
I expected this to happen, but sorry nonetheless! Hopefully you can still make it happen. Good luck with everything!
haha, thanks - well, I wanted to stay in NYC, but I have other options (AA here I come)

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:30 am

anybody know - if we don't get the NYU campus housing, when we should be going to NYC to set up our living situation?

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:46 am

melamine wrote:anybody know - if we don't get the NYU campus housing, when we should be going to NYC to set up our living situation?
Unfortunately, in my and friends' experience, people tend to want you to move in almost immediately. (My husband and I were given the outdated advice that you should be looking for 45-60 days in advance... this turned out not to be true.) So your options are to wait till mid-July/August and cut it sort of close with school starting, search extra thoroughly online for someone looking to move out around the time you're moving in (using Craigslist, keeping an eye on the listserve [coases list - find it through nyuhome], maybe emailing the listserve), move in a little earlier than you would have wanted, etc.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah, unfortunately the timing of the orientation will make for a difficult move-in. Typically you'd take a place on the 1st of the next month from when you're looking. Of course, that will be difficult unless you're willing to spend July looking and move in three weeks before orientation. Some landlords will allow you to move in on the 15th of the month, but you'd definitely want to establish whether that's possible before you start seriously looking. I'd suggest finding places with an August 1st move-in and emailing in late July to see if you could instead move in on the 15th. If the apartments aren't rented by then the landlords would be happy to bring someone in on the 15th rather than having to wait until September 1st. In any case, start compiling a list of places that look appealing in July so you're in no danger of moving to NYC without an apartment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Hey - i'm sure this has been noted already - but for people who submit the deposit and turn in the enrollment form - is it required that you withdraw from waitlists at other schools? I'm already going to do that - but it's not clear (given the exact wording of the form) that one needs to?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

melamine wrote:Hey - i'm sure this has been noted already - but for people who submit the deposit and turn in the enrollment form - is it required that you withdraw from waitlists at other schools? I'm already going to do that - but it's not clear (given the exact wording of the form) that one needs to?
No, you do not need to withdraw from waitlists. I called the NYU Admissions office with this very question and was told that the option to remain on waitlists was intentionally included so students could have a full picture of their opportunities before reaching their ultimate decision.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Can anyone tell me if/how I can withdraw from NYU online?

Thanks!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:47 pm

dot wrote:Can anyone tell me if/how I can withdraw from NYU online?

Thanks!
Send them an email? wtf

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:47 pm

thecilent wrote:

Thanks!
Send them an email? wtf
I can confirm that email withdrawals do work, although it took them a day to confirm it.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:51 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote:
melamine wrote:Hey - i'm sure this has been noted already - but for people who submit the deposit and turn in the enrollment form - is it required that you withdraw from waitlists at other schools? I'm already going to do that - but it's not clear (given the exact wording of the form) that one needs to?
No, you do not need to withdraw from waitlists. I called the NYU Admissions office with this very question and was told that the option to remain on waitlists was intentionally included so students could have a full picture of their opportunities before reaching their ultimate decision.
thanks - yeah i thought it seemed intentionally left open - just every time i think to myself "well...technically it doesn't say ...." i get nervous. lol.

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:12 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
thecilent wrote:

Thanks!
Send them an email? wtf
I can confirm that email withdrawals do work, although it took them a day to confirm it.
Cool, thanks. This was my backup plan, but if there was already a more formal way to do so online, I figured I'd go through that.

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:20 pm

In off WL by phone a few hours ago. Totally stunned. Not sure if I'll attend or not, but thrilled to have the option!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:21 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:In off WL by phone a few hours ago. Totally stunned. Not sure if I'll attend or not, but thrilled to have the option!
Congrats! I knew you would get a few WL offers with that LSAT.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”