In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thecilent

Gold

Re: In at NYU

Post by thecilent » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 am

jpk5372 wrote:Can someone please tell me what is in said pizza box? My post office left me a parcel slip but won't redeliver because they are dumb and my mailbox is teeny tiny =(
It's not a pizza box. It's a tiny little box with like a faculty viewbook. It is really nothing.

/being annoyed by all this "pizza box" shit

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:38 am

thecilent wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:Can someone please tell me what is in said pizza box? My post office left me a parcel slip but won't redeliver because they are dumb and my mailbox is teeny tiny =(
It's not a pizza box. It's a tiny little box with like a faculty viewbook. It is really nothing.

/being annoyed by all this "pizza box" shit
what! Thats really not as fun as I imagined, and now i just REALLY want a pizza. glad i found out now so i wasn't all dissapointed at the post office.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 am

wait... i thought there was a t-shirt in the box. lol damnit...

edit: lol @ kitten mittens. love its always sunny.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:24 am

glitched wrote:wait... i thought there was a t-shirt in the box. lol damnit...

edit: lol @ kitten mittens. love its always sunny.
LOL at your tar, that tumblr is amazing.

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 am

So I'm going to ask a question that will probably show my ignorance of anything financial aid related because I was lucky enough not to have to take out loans for undergrad:

I didn't apply for any of the big named scholarships. Do I get notified if I got any merit based award like a dean's award or something similar after I fill out the financial aid stuff? Is this how it is at other schools? I got admited to CLS as well, but scholarship money at NYU could make me go there. Or is it if we didn't get notified of a scholarship during our admit letter we didn't get one? Sorry if this sounds blindingly obvious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:35 am

Ship87 wrote:So I'm going to ask a question that will probably show my ignorance of anything financial aid related because I was lucky enough not to have to take out loans for undergrad:

I didn't apply for any of the big named scholarships. Do I get notified if I got any merit based award like a dean's award or something similar after I fill out the financial aid stuff? Is this how it is at other schools? I got admited to CLS as well, but scholarship money at NYU could make me go there. Or is it if we didn't get notified of a scholarship during our admit letter we didn't get one? Sorry if this sounds blindingly obvious.
That's exactly what you do. Fill out Need Access and FAFSA then sit back and wait for NYU to hopefully give you some money. Initial financial aid packages come out in April I believe. Good luck!

Ship87

Bronze

Post by Ship87 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 am

bistduverrueckt wrote:
Ship87 wrote:So I'm going to ask a question that will probably show my ignorance of anything financial aid related because I was lucky enough not to have to take out loans for undergrad:

That's exactly what you do. Fill out Need Access and FAFSA then sit back and wait for NYU to hopefully give you some money. Initial financial aid packages come out in April I believe. Good luck!
Thank you! Is this the process at most schools then too I take it?

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:44 am

Ship87 wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:

It depends on the school. Some have school specific forms in addition to Need Access and FAFSA, some just want FAFSA, some want your tax returns. Need Access requires parental info though and is really arduous to get through so be prepared to spend a day doing it.

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:49 am

Need Access is ridiculous. For example: How am I supposed to come up with a number for "Unusual Expenses during the 2011-2012 school year"? I feel like by definition I shouldn't be able to estimate that very well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 am

Need Access is the worst thing ever. My mom and I just stared at it confused for a while. And when you call the number with questions (because the form is ambiguous to the extreme) the people on the other end have no idea what you're talking about.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:54 am

Ship87 wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:

Ugh, now I am confused...I thought the NYU email said that if you are just looking for merit awards, not fin. aid necessarily, you only needed Need Access? And not FAFSA?

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:55 am

bistduverrueckt wrote:Need Access is the worst thing ever. My mom and I just stared at it confused for a while. And when you call the number with questions (because the form is ambiguous to the extreme) the people on the other end have no idea what you're talking about.
Yeah, I feel like I'm fairly intelligent, plus I come from an Accounting/Tax background. If this thing seems ridiculous to me, I can only imagine what someone without a financial background thinks of it.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:59 am

Ugh I am going to start my needaccess shit today. I knew it was going to be annoying as hell.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:04 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
Ugh, now I am confused...I thought the NYU email said that if you are just looking for merit awards, not fin. aid necessarily, you only needed Need Access? And not FAFSA?
I didn't know if Ship87 was only looking for merit so I gave a rundown of the entire process. I think you're right though--for merit ONLY (not a lot barring the named scholarships) you just need the Need Access.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
I didn't know if Ship87 was only looking for merit so I gave a rundown of the entire process. I think you're right though--for merit ONLY (not a lot barring the named scholarships) you just need the Need Access.
Ok, I see..god, Need Access is really annoyingly complicated.

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:17 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
Ok, I see..god, Need Access is really annoyingly complicated.
Almost broke my computer out of frusteration last night.....whoops.

bistduverrueckt

Bronze

Post by bistduverrueckt » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Does anyone know if there are special deadlines for filing financials if we applied for a named scholarship?

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:49 pm

ahduth wrote:Does anyone know if there are special deadlines for filing financials if we applied for a named scholarship?
I'd like to know this, too. Also, I know a lot of invitations for dean's scholarships went out mid-February last year. Does anyone know whether we'd need to have our financial info in before they would send an invitation. I glanced through the 2010 thread for this info, but didn't see a definitive answer.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:11 pm

Anyone having problems accessing the admitted student site? I am. =/

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:21 pm

i had issues earlier today - i think it gets quite buggy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hotthaichick

Bronze

Post by hotthaichick » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:58 pm

So I'm pretty sure my acceptance letter was officially lost...

DLS 1/21 and still nothing in St Louis. I know I'm in due to the emails I've been getting and the ASW. Should I call admissions on Monday and ask for a new letter? Is that weird...?

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:36 pm

Just got my purple envelope in the mail - really excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:37 pm

Does anyone know if NYU provide travel stipend for ASW?

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm

Anybody from the DLS 1/21 group receive any mail other than purple envelope yet? I got the purple envelope but nothing since then, and I'm wondering how long the wait usually is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”