In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarahh

Silver

Re: In at NYU

Post by sarahh » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:33 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:Last ASW we all met up at the arch in Washington Square Park and then grabbed lunch together. Then we all headed to NYU together after that. It worked really well. We just exchanged phone numbers beforehand and had a list of who was going to be there. If you guys want to meet up that would be a really good way of doing it.
I am up for something on Friday but I can't do anything on Thursday :( . My family would never forgive me if I just visited NYU, so I am spending Thursday with my mom, and Saturday with my dad and brother. One of the downsides of NYU is that I won't have the buffer of the whole country between me and my family.

Are people doing the RTK interview planning to wear a suit? The RTK student I was put in touch with said that dress pants and a blazer were okay, but a suit is the best option.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Got email about financial aid. Getting nothing. I guess my stats aren't good enough and I applied for financial aid too late.

Note: didn't apply to any named-scholarships.
Last edited by champsound on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Luls, $ticker.

Nobody wants to give me any money. This makes it interesting.

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

champsound wrote:Got email about financial aid. Getting nothing. I guess my stats aren't good enough and I applied for financial aid too late.

Sorry to hear that, champsound. Did your FAAPS status update prior to your receiving the email? Still no word on my end.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:47 pm

Sandrew wrote:
champsound wrote:Got email about financial aid. Getting nothing. I guess my stats aren't good enough and I applied for financial aid too late.

Sorry to hear that, champsound. Did your FAAPS status update prior to your receiving the email? Still no word on my end.
The date for "your stuff is in final review" or whatever changed like 2 days ago I think. Other than that... no, and I've been checking my FAAPS status checker pretty obsessively.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

supahstahxruv

Bronze

Post by supahstahxruv » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 pm

+1.

ETA: champsound your stats are AMAZING. i can't believe i was hoping for finaid when people with stats like yours aren't getting anything.
Last edited by supahstahxruv on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Sandrew wrote:

+1

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I think NYU's stock dropped enough for me just now that I will be going to 2 days Columbia ASD and 1 day NYU ASD, instead of the original plan of the 1 day Columbia, 2 days NYU. Anyone have any thoughts on which Thursday Admitted Students Day is more worth it (they overlap)? I'm most interested in hearing about the clinics, especially the environment law ones at each school. Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially on the RTK and other named scholarships!

I was kind of mislead by the wording of the email. It says to click on "My Award" when instead it should say to click on "You just got shafted sucker! Enjoy Stafford loans"

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:11 pm

champsound wrote:I think NYU's stock dropped enough for me just now that I will be going to 2 days Columbia ASD and 1 day NYU ASD, instead of the original plan of the 1 day Columbia, 2 days NYU. Anyone have any thoughts on which Thursday Admitted Students Day is more worth it (they overlap)? I'm most interested in hearing about the clinics, especially the environment law ones at each school. Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially on the RTK and other named scholarships!

I was kind of put off by the wording of the email. It says to click on "My Award" when instead it should say to click on "You just got shafted sucker! Enjoy Stafford loans"
For me I was always planning on doing 2 days CLS 1 day NYU because of CLS's travel stipend stipulations. It seems that NYU's main events don't start till the very end of day 1 so you can skip most of the early afternoon stuff without losing much. CLS day 2, however, has most of the substance for CLS's ASP

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:15 pm

champsound wrote:I think NYU's stock dropped enough for me just now that I will be going to 2 days Columbia ASD and 1 day NYU ASD, instead of the original plan of the 1 day Columbia, 2 days NYU. Anyone have any thoughts on which Thursday Admitted Students Day is more worth it (they overlap)? I'm most interested in hearing about the clinics, especially the environment law ones at each school. Good luck to everyone still waiting, especially on the RTK and other named scholarships!

I was kind of mislead by the wording of the email. It says to click on "My Award" when instead it should say to click on "You just got shafted sucker! Enjoy Stafford loans"
You mad?
I would prob trade my nyu $ for cls acceptance

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:24 pm

bhan87 wrote:

I was kind of put off by the wording of the email. It says to click on "My Award" when instead it should say to click on "You just got shafted sucker! Enjoy Stafford loans"
For me I was always planning on doing 2 days CLS 1 day NYU because of CLS's travel stipend stipulations. It seems that NYU's main events don't start till the very end of day 1 so you can skip most of the early afternoon stuff without losing much. CLS day 2, however, has most of the substance for CLS's ASP
At the first ASW at NYU the clinics were on Friday. So if that's mostly what you wanna check out, two days at CLS makes sense to me. Also, I thought Friday was more worthwhile than Thursday.

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Just got a $75k Dean's Award (30/30/15 for L1/2/3). I am completely and totally stoked.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:55 pm

Sandrew wrote:Just got a $75k Dean's Award (30/30/15 for L1/2/3). I am completely and totally stoked.

Congratulations, not at all surprising judging by your numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:04 pm

Sandrew wrote:Just got a $75k Dean's Award (30/30/15 for L1/2/3). I am completely and totally stoked.
Why didn't you apply to Harvard if you dont mind me asking?

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:08 pm

mst wrote:
birdlaw117 wrote:Last ASW we all met up at the arch in Washington Square Park and then grabbed lunch together. Then we all headed to NYU together after that. It worked really well. We just exchanged phone numbers beforehand and had a list of who was going to be there. If you guys want to meet up that would be a really good way of doing it.
I'm nervous to break down my TLS mask lol.
+1, haha.

But if anyone wants to meet up, I'm down. Just RSVP'd for next Thurs/Fri, though I think I'll probably only be able to make Thursday (I'm supposed to work on Friday - though I live in the city, so it's no big deal).

On a side note, I'm totally jealous of those of you going to Columbia's ASW... CLS is probably my first choice (mainly because I did my undergrad at NYU), but I'm still on the hold list there... :cry: But I think I will go sit in on a class next Tuesday and check out the law building/library when there's actually students in it (I accidentally went last week not knowing they were on spring break). Still, I'd love to hear thoughts on the ASW... which days is it exactly? Is it the last/only one?
Last edited by amorfati on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:09 pm

$25,000 Dean Scholarship. I'm a bit unimpressed, but at least it's something to negotiate with for CLS aid.

Would've taken a half ride for me to choose NYU over CLS. Looks like it won't be happening

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm

Where's my decision. At this point I think even 25k would push NYU over CLS for me...I mean NYU is already 5k cheaper than CLS per year so comparatively it's more like a 40k scholly.
Last edited by chasgoose on Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh, just got the 25k dean scholarship email! I was expecting sticker, so I'm fairly content :)

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Last edited by moneko on Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:34 pm

Dammit, I am still e-mail free!

NYU, I've been in "final stage of review" for over a month now. I'm just saying.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 pm

eeek, I just saw the April 4th deadline for the financial aid package... I would really like to wait and see if I get off the Columbia hold list (supposed to find out by April 22). Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best course of action would be? Perhaps ask NYU for an extension, or ask Columbia to hurry up? (Don't want to piss Columbia off, though...)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:39 pm

amorfati wrote:eeek, I just saw the April 4th deadline for the financial aid package... I would really like to wait and see if I get off the Columbia hold list (supposed to find out by April 22). Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best course of action would be? Perhaps ask NYU for an extension, or ask Columbia to hurry up? (Don't want to piss Columbia off, though...)
Let's trade. You can have my CLS acceptance, I can have your 25k at NYU.

amorfati

Bronze

Post by amorfati » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:42 pm

chasgoose wrote:
amorfati wrote:eeek, I just saw the April 4th deadline for the financial aid package... I would really like to wait and see if I get off the Columbia hold list (supposed to find out by April 22). Does anyone have any thoughts on what the best course of action would be? Perhaps ask NYU for an extension, or ask Columbia to hurry up? (Don't want to piss Columbia off, though...)
Let's trade. You can have my CLS acceptance, I can have your 25k at NYU.
Haha. If they would let us, I think I might seriously be up for that!!

Actually though, NYU is growing on me. At least they make me feel wanted. And their library is just so much sexier.

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:58 pm

mst wrote: Why didn't you apply to Harvard if you dont mind me asking?
Fiancé said no. Location an issue.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Sandrew wrote:
mst wrote: Why didn't you apply to Harvard if you dont mind me asking?
Fiancé said no. Location an issue.
Your fiance would rather be in New Haven than in Cambridge? That is novel.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”