In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mst

Silver

Re: In at NYU

Post by mst » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:02 am

gatorgirl4life wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:
congrats user82189!! I think cawquette was there, too. also, my cousin suggested the following website for gamedays in the city: --LinkRemoved-- yay gators! :D
Aaahhh so excited for the football wars that are definitely going down once the season starts! Apparently NYU is big on flag football. I think we might have to reenact our rivalries on the field! :D
omg i'm already excited! i rocked powderpuff in high school...but i've always sucked at/hated softball...it just seems like a really long glorified game of catch...definitely biased me against UVa. :oops:
haha. i actually started getting into softball last fall (i bought a glove at walmart and everything, it was intense)... was a minor factor in me applying to UVA as well haha

ShuckingNotJiving

Bronze

Post by ShuckingNotJiving » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:59 am

re-applicant wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Can you tell me what Stevenson said....because I think we're thinking the same (the two of us).
+1, I heard people raving about him at the Friday reception.

here is what i remember -- it's in bits and pieces because, well, wasn't taking notes

-he spoke about the "school to prison pipeline" he had spoken to some boys (african-american) who believed they'd either be dead or in prison by age 21
-he described a conversation with prominent civil rights activist who told him, after he described the litany of issues he wanted to tackle that he'd be "tired, tired, tired"
-he spoke on his encounters with his community and how grateful they were for his accomplishments and achievements -- specifically a custodian who hugged him upon finding out he was a lawyer and said "thank you."
-he detailed an interesting case, where he attempted to try his poor black client as a wealthy white man. (didn't work, obviously, and resulted in a heated courtroom feud)

basically -- he made public interest law seem exciting and extremely rewarding, despite being difficult and troubling work.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:56 am

ShuckingNotJiving wrote:
re-applicant wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Can you tell me what Stevenson said....because I think we're thinking the same (the two of us).
+1, I heard people raving about him at the Friday reception.

here is what i remember -- it's in bits and pieces because, well, wasn't taking notes

-he spoke about the "school to prison pipeline" he had spoken to some boys (african-american) who believed they'd either be dead or in prison by age 21
-he described a conversation with prominent civil rights activist who told him, after he described the litany of issues he wanted to tackle that he'd be "tired, tired, tired"
-he spoke on his encounters with his community and how grateful they were for his accomplishments and achievements -- specifically a custodian who hugged him upon finding out he was a lawyer and said "thank you."
-he detailed an interesting case, where he attempted to try his poor black client as a wealthy white man. (didn't work, obviously, and resulted in a heated courtroom feud)

basically -- he made public interest law seem exciting and extremely rewarding, despite being difficult and troubling work.
the 'prominent civil rights activist' was rosa parks!!!

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 am

My Aid status changed form Application not started to In the final stages of review in the last hour.

snowkat

New

Post by snowkat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:26 am

BrightLine wrote:My Aid status changed form Application not started to In the final stages of review in the last hour.
+1

How long does it usually take to get a response after that? Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am

snowkat wrote:
BrightLine wrote:My Aid status changed form Application not started to In the final stages of review in the last hour.
+1

I don't think anyone has the answer to that, but since a number of people had a scholarship response deadline of 4/4 it seems like they are working on a second round.

I hope that enough people opted not to accept their scholarships that there is a decent amount of money to be distributed amongst this upcoming group. Best of luck to everyone.

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:39 am

bdubs wrote:
snowkat wrote:
+1

I don't think anyone has the answer to that, but since a number of people had a scholarship response deadline of 4/4 it seems like they are working on a second round.

I hope that enough people opted not to accept their scholarships that there is a decent amount of money to be distributed amongst this upcoming group. Best of luck to everyone.

I dont really have a number in my head, but whatever the number is, i doubt i will get it :| I almost wish i didn't have another offer. Now, I won't be able to talk myself into the debt.

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:40 am

snowkat wrote:
+1
Mine did that today too. I'm 99.9% sure I'll get 0 dollars and 0 cents.

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:50 am

GOT THE CALL! I'm a Root-Tilden-Kern scholar!

Totally didn't think any more would go out until Thursday!

See you all in August!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:51 am

What the eff...I was in "application in final stages of review" dated FEBRUARY 23 since then and it just changed to "application in final stages of review," no little lock icon, dated YESTERDAY.

This means I'm hearing imminently, correct?

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:52 am

BrightLine wrote:

I dont really have a number in my head, but whatever the number is, i doubt i will get it :| I almost wish i didn't have another offer. Now, I won't be able to talk myself into the debt.
+1. Oh well, choices are better than no choices.

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:57 am

user82189 wrote:I got the AnBryce :) So it's definitely NYU for me.

I interviewed in NY and my name is Mike C if anyone remembers me. I know 2 others besides me who got it who interviewed in NY. I really hope they are still making offers, though, because some of the people in my interview group were amazing and haven't heard back :/

Good luck to anyone else waiting to hear back!
congrats!

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:03 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
BrightLine wrote:

+1. Oh well, choices are better than no choices.

Absolutely, that's why I need TLS. I cant really bitch about this "problem" in real life without someone punching me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:What the eff...I was in "application in final stages of review" dated FEBRUARY 23 since then and it just changed to "application in final stages of review," no little lock icon, dated YESTERDAY.

It happened to Champsound and they heard back 2 days later. Same happened to me yesterday, so waiting maybe for tomorrow?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:11 pm

somewhere wrote:GOT THE CALL! I'm a Root-Tilden-Kern scholar!

See you all in August!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I know you really wanted this, so I'm SUPER excited for you!!!

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:16 pm

law_monkey wrote:

See you all in August!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I know you really wanted this, so I'm SUPER excited for you!!!
Thanks! You too! See you in August!

dot

Bronze

Post by dot » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

law_monkey wrote:

See you all in August!
Awesome, congrats!! I'm still holding out for a Thursday/Friday call... we shall see.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:20 pm

dot wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

See you all in August!
Awesome, congrats!! I'm still holding out for a Thursday/Friday call... we shall see.
I'm not sure I figured out which person you were at the ASW/interviews... but good luck!

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

mel2010 wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:What the eff...I was in "application in final stages of review" dated FEBRUARY 23 since then and it just changed to "application in final stages of review," no little lock icon, dated YESTERDAY.

It happened to Champsound and they heard back 2 days later. Same happened to me yesterday, so waiting maybe for tomorrow?
Yep. That's correct. And I got $0.

edit: kind of creepy to know that people on TLS know more about my cycle than people I know in real life.

mel2010

Bronze

Post by mel2010 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22 pm

champsound wrote:
mel2010 wrote:

edit: kind of creepy to know that people on TLS know more about my cycle than people I know in real life.
:oops:

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

mel2010 wrote:
champsound wrote:
mel2010 wrote:

:oops:
Yeah no kidding. Now that people are actually going to be my classmates I kind of regret that people know so much about my cycle haha.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adestante

New

Post by adestante » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Does anyone have insight on how long the finaid appeal process usually takes? Submitted a week ago, starting to bump up against other schools' deadlines, wondering not so much whether I should panic as HOW MUCH I should be panicking.

Thanks!

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 pm

See you all in August!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am so so so happy for you! I was (get ready for this pun) Rooting for you, man!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:37 pm

I got a message from Deb saying that I did not get the Root, but they had other good news and to call her back. She did not answer when I called. I am guessing they are going to offer me some lesser amount. I must be on the bottom of the list for them to reject me now and not on Friday. Kind of bummed because I thought I did well in the interview. Oh well, I guess they made the decision easier for me.

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 pm

neonx wrote:

See you all in August!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am so so so happy for you! I was (get ready for this pun) Rooting for you, man!
Thanks! Good luck w/ your decision. I'd love to be fellow Roots this fall, but you really can't go wrong with your choices.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”