In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sgtgrumbles

Silver

Re: In at NYU

Post by sgtgrumbles » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:46 pm

edit: never mind.

cawquette

New

Post by cawquette » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:40 pm

BrightLine wrote:Sent a letter basically saying that NYU is my 1st choice but I have this other full scholarship in the T14, anything they can do?

Lets see what happens.
ha, i also got a full scholarship to a T14, wrote a letter saying the same and nyu only offered me 1/6 of that =/

BrightLine

Bronze

Post by BrightLine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:51 pm

cawquette wrote:
BrightLine wrote:Sent a letter basically saying that NYU is my 1st choice but I have this other full scholarship in the T14, anything they can do?

Lets see what happens.
ha, i also got a full scholarship to a T14, wrote a letter saying the same and nyu only offered me 1/6 of that =/
1/6 > 0

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:59 pm

they STILL haven't received my needaccess...i submitted it in january (and called needaccess to confirm that it was sent to NYU). :( NYU's financial aid people recognize me by voice at this point. at least they're friendly?

also, i'd be thrilled with 1/6 haha

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:44 pm

Should I have received an ASW schedule of some kind? Did I miss it? I'm trying to figure out how late on Thursday I can arrive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Time to send them a letter asking for money. I have little leverage, but I think it's worth a try.

1/6 would be great.

Also, if you haven't received a sched, you should probably show up around 12:30. I believe the first event started at 1 during the early-March ASW.

EDIT: I think I received my "ticket" and tentative time to show up via email on Tuesday afternoon of that week. They send it out rather late, especially if you leave to travel early.

jeng

New

Post by jeng » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:03 pm

ahduth wrote:Should I have received an ASW schedule of some kind? Did I miss it? I'm trying to figure out how late on Thursday I can arrive.
Apparently NYU mail sucks, I received two invites to ASW but I still never received my initial package! They told me the resent it UPS on Tuesday and I STILL haven't gotten anything. But you can pretty much find all info you need on the admitted students section of the website (you can login /w your SIN and bday), here is the schedule from the website:

Thursday Program (12:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.)
D’Agostino Hall, 108 West Third Street
Arrival and Check-in
Student Life Panel
Class Visits
NYU Campus Tour
Student Organization and Journals Fair
Panel Discussion with Recent Alumni
Pizza Party with Current Students and Recent Alumni
Evening out in Greenwich Village with Current Students

Friday Program (8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.)
Vanderbilt Hall, 40 Washington Square South
Arrival and Check-in
Continental Breakfast and Welcome
Conversation with Dean Richard Revesz
Academic Presentations
Class Visits
Lunch with Faculty
NYU Law Students Panel
Campus Tours
Career Services Panel
Public Interest Law Center Panel
Student Financial Services Panel
Reception with Current Students

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Speaking of NYU mail, I received my acceptance letter on 2/28, but I thought I was also due for a "pizza box" of sorts?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:17 pm

chasgoose wrote:Speaking of NYU mail, I received my acceptance letter on 2/28, but I thought I was also due for a "pizza box" of sorts?
My pizza box took about a month to show up after my acceptance. I don't know if they're supposed to be quicker now that it's later in the cycle...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:32 pm

incompetentia wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Speaking of NYU mail, I received my acceptance letter on 2/28, but I thought I was also due for a "pizza box" of sorts?
My pizza box took about a month to show up after my acceptance. I don't know if they're supposed to be quicker now that it's later in the cycle...
Went DLS 3/22 and got my purple envelope in DC 3/25, i think that was much much faster than earlier in the cycle.

jeng

New

Post by jeng » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:35 pm

incompetentia wrote:
What's a pizza box? Mine went DLS March 7 and still nothing except for ASW invites and a bunch of e-mails, getting super frustrated! (But I am in Canada so it would be slower that US applicants regardless...)

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:13 am

Pilfered from elsewhere on the forum:

--ImageRemoved--

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 am

incompetentia wrote:Pilfered from elsewhere on the forum:

--ImageRemoved--
Nothing that interesting or beautiful inside, unfortunately.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 am

jeng wrote:
ahduth wrote:Should I have received an ASW schedule of some kind? Did I miss it? I'm trying to figure out how late on Thursday I can arrive.
Apparently NYU mail sucks, I received two invites to ASW but I still never received my initial package! They told me the resent it UPS on Tuesday and I STILL haven't gotten anything. But you can pretty much find all info you need on the admitted students section of the website (you can login /w your SIN and bday), here is the schedule from the website:

edited schedule
Ya, but I was hoping for an actual schedule, with times and shit. Trying to figure out how late I can arrive without missing anything interesting.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:47 am

ahduth wrote: Ya, but I was hoping for an actual schedule, with times and shit. Trying to figure out how late I can arrive without missing anything interesting.
I don't have my programs in front of me, but this is pretty much how I remember it going down, and I assume the schedule is almost identical.

Thurs:
1-2pm Student Life Panel
2-3pm Class visits (We had Evidence, Administrative State, and Crim Law during this time...I'm assuming they have the same offerings, and Pildes' class is pretty baller)
3-4:30pm Area tour (not that useful)
4:30-5:30 Orgs/journals fair
5:30-6:30 Recent alumni panel
6:30-7:30 Pizza + free beer
7:30- SBA event (I think you guys get Revue this night?)

Fri:
8:30-9am Breakfast with faculty
9-10am Dean's schtick/Q&A session
10-11am:
-Lots of class options (Con Law, International Trade Law, Bankruptcy)
-Corporate law panel
-International/global law panel
-Legal academia session (I had lunch with the prof that ran this, and she's an interesting one)
11-noon:
-Lots more class options (International Law, Corporations, Property, Con Law, Property, Copyright Law)
-Panel about clerkships (if Rascoff is at this thing, he's freaking hilarious...if you're interested in being part of the "future gunners meeting")
-Panel about clinics
-Panel with Wachtell Lipton senior partners (and a couple others) about corporate governance and risk management
12-2pm (staggered, running simultaneously to allow for smaller groups):
-Lunch with faculty
-Campus tour
2-3pm:
-LRAP financial presentation
-Current judges' panel
3-4pm
-Richard Epstein gave an interesting talk/presentation our week. I can't imagine that they won't have something similar going on during this timeslot
-Panel about working in private practice now and in the future
-Res hall tours
4-5pm:
-Financial presentiation (general)
-Public interest (PILC) panel
-Clinics fair
5-6pm Reception with more free alkyhol

I'm seriously considering coming back for the Apr 14-15 one because there was SO much stuff I missed on the second day (and my mother might want to go to NY anyway around this time, therefore she pays).
Last edited by incompetentia on Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crumpetsandtea

Platinum

Post by crumpetsandtea » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 am

incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote: Ya, but I was hoping for an actual schedule, with times and shit. Trying to figure out how late I can arrive without missing anything interesting.
I don't have my programs in front of me, but this is pretty much how I remember it going down, and I assume the schedule is almost identical.

Thurs:
1-2pm Student Life Panel
2-3pm Class visits (We had Evidence, Administrative State, and one other during this time...I'm assuming they have the same offerings, and Pildes' class is pretty baller)

Fri:
10-11am:
-Lots of class options (Con Law, Tax, Property, Civ Pro, etc.)
-Corporate law panel
11-noon:
-Lots more class options
-Panel about clerkships (if Rascoff is at this thing, he's freaking hilarious...if you're interested in being part of the "future gunners meeting")
-Lunch with faculty
-Campus tour
2-3pm:
-Current judges' panel
3-4pm Richard Epstein gave an interesting talk/presentation our week. I can't imagine that they won't have something similar going on during this timeslot
4-5pm:

I'm seriously considering coming back for the Apr 14-15 one because there was SO much stuff I missed on the second day (and my mother might want to go to NY anyway around this time, therefore she pays).
QF omfg photgraphic fuckin memory o_o

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:19 am

incompetentia wrote:

Thurs:
1-2pm Student Life Panel
2-3pm Class visits (We had Evidence, Administrative State, and one other during this time...I'm assuming they have the same offerings, and Pildes' class is pretty baller)

Fri:
10-11am:
-Corporate law panel
11-noon:
-Lots more class options
-Lunch with faculty
-Campus tour
2-3pm:
-Current judges' panel
3-4pm Richard Epstein gave an interesting talk/presentation our week. I can't imagine that they won't have something similar going on during this timeslot
4-5pm:

I just read through this to see if I could find any errors/anything to add, but I've got nothing. I'm pretty sure incompetentia hit everything (which is super impressive).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:10 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

Thurs:
1-2pm Student Life Panel

Fri:
10-11am:
-Corporate law panel
11-noon:
-Lots more class options
-Lunch with faculty
-Campus tour
2-3pm:
-Current judges' panel
4-5pm:

I just read through this to see if I could find any errors/anything to add, but I've got nothing. I'm pretty sure incompetentia hit everything (which is super impressive).
They had a really interesting panel with Martin Lipton of Wachtell, Lipton at the first one at the same time as the clerkship meeting. It was really interesting... I highly recommend it.

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:10 am

birdlaw117 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

Thurs:
1-2pm Student Life Panel

Fri:
10-11am:
-Corporate law panel
11-noon:
-Lots more class options
-Lunch with faculty
-Campus tour
2-3pm:
-Current judges' panel
4-5pm:

They had a really interesting panel with Martin Lipton of Wachtell, Lipton at the first one at the same time as the clerkship meeting. It was really interesting... I highly recommend it.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:01 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
incompetentia wrote:

edited actual schedule

lol, you rock, thanks. Sounds like I can skip most of Thursday if I want. NYU should give you a job promoting their ASW, as they're sure doing a shit job of promoting it themselves.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:42 pm

They can pay me in financial aid, and everything would be set. :o

But yeah, the student life panel (although informative at the time) pretty much echoed everything that was said earlier in the day. The class was good (although I sat in on another on Friday), and the org fair was important to me as somebody definitely getting into Law Revue, but the Friday sessions are decidedly more substantive and interesting.

If you are coming from CLS, though, you should definitely show up for the free pizza and beer by 6:30.
If the 2L doing energy law is still on the student panel, somebody should ask him if he can guarantee biglaw for all incoming students. :lol:

Just looked over my programs and have added the sessions that I missed, mostly on Friday morning. You wouldn't be able to do everything even if you came to all three events

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:58 pm

Anyone interested in sharing a shuttle to JFK on April 1st? My flight leaves 8:15pm so I'm planning on getting to the airport by 7:30pm

Super Shuttle Cost Per Person would be:

Alone: $23 / person
2 people: $16.50 / person
3 people: $14.33 / person
4 people: $13.25 / person

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah, CLS is the same drill, most of the interesting stuff is on the second day. The reception-type deals are actually one of the things I'm most interested in. I'm anti-prestige and I can't find any substantive difference between the programs, so this is mostly a people-watching trip. :D

agora139

Bronze

Post by agora139 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:43 pm

neonx wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
i never got that! i got an envelope with a letter in it and that was it (although it was a very nice letter/envelope combination!)

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:58 pm

agora139 wrote:
neonx wrote:

--ImageRemoved--
i never got that! i got an envelope with a letter in it and that was it (although it was a very nice letter/envelope combination!)
I got my purple envelope on CHRISTMAS EVE and I still do not have my pizza box, lololol.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”