In at NYU Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neonx

Silver

Re: In at NYU

Post by neonx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 pm

somewhere wrote:Anybody from the DLS 1/21 group receive any mail other than purple envelope yet? I got the purple envelope but nothing since then, and I'm wondering how long the wait usually is.

That's all I got so far!

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:22 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:
ahduth wrote:Does anyone know if there are special deadlines for filing financials if we applied for a named scholarship?
I'd like to know this, too. Also, I know a lot of invitations for dean's scholarships went out mid-February last year. Does anyone know whether we'd need to have our financial info in before they would send an invitation. I glanced through the 2010 thread for this info, but didn't see a definitive answer.
^ this...
Gah I didn't apply for one of the named scholarships cause I looked through their previous winners and my softs were absolutely pitiful in comparison but now... now I wished I had hail-maried it 'cause with lack of stats-granted scholly response from any of the other schools I've gotten it's starting to look like a grim sticker future for me... :(

Are Dean's scholarships mostly stats based?

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 pm

neonx wrote:
somewhere wrote:Anybody from the DLS 1/21 group receive any mail other than purple envelope yet? I got the purple envelope but nothing since then, and I'm wondering how long the wait usually is.

That's all I got so far!
Ditto. Although Chicago mail has been wicked messy.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:24 pm

I got my "Pizza box" today and must say am a bit disappointing... lol i got my purple envelope on 1/24.

jcn4

New

Post by jcn4 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm

ahduth wrote:Does anyone know if there are special deadlines for filing financials if we applied for a named scholarship?
Are you talking about NeedAccess, or is there something else they need for the named scholarships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm

jcn4 wrote:
Are you talking about NeedAccess, or is there something else they need for the named scholarships?
If you ever actually meet me, you'll realize I never have any idea what the hell I'm talking about.

But yeah, some schools seem to want NeedAccess for some of their merit stuff, but I don't see that anywhere for NYU. I'm not going to worry about it. I am eager to find out what the deal with those scholarships is - do you think they'll send "rejection" emails to people who aren't going to be interviewed / aren't under consideration?

degibogen214

New

Post by degibogen214 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:47 pm

ahduth wrote:
jcn4 wrote:
If you ever actually meet me, you'll realize I never have any idea what the hell I'm talking about.

But yeah, some schools seem to want NeedAccess for some of their merit stuff, but I don't see that anywhere for NYU. I'm not going to worry about it. I am eager to find out what the deal with those scholarships is - do you think they'll send "rejection" emails to people who aren't going to be interviewed / aren't under consideration?

I thought the same thing but double checked with an email. This is the response I received:

"Thank you for your email. You must complete the Need Access application if you would like to be considered for merit based aid but you will not have to submit your parents finances."

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:43 am

Whoever said earlier in this thread that the location of the SF Admitted Students reception is terrible was dead on. It'll take me 45 minutes to get there on public transit from SOMA.

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:45 am

re-applicant wrote:Whoever said earlier in this thread that the location of the SF Admitted Students reception is terrible was dead on. It'll take me 45 minutes to get there on public transit from SOMA.
The one at the alumna's house? Man, I wish I was living back home in the Bay Area so I could go. That house is in (or the next block up from, depending on whose definition you're using) "Billionaire Row," which is allegedly the densest population of billionaires in the world. Take a cab, it'll be worth it. I can only imagine what those houses are like on the inside. It's literally right across the street from this place, which you can buy for a cool 45 mil: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

somewhere

Bronze

Post by somewhere » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:52 am

Oh, and remember when Obama took a lot of heat for saying at a fundraiser dinner that people in economically depressed areas sometimes "cling" to guns and religion? That fundraiser, also: right across the street.

dianaw

New

Post by dianaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:15 am

I can't log on to ASW anymore with my ssn, anyone else have this prob?

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:20 am

dianaw wrote:I can't log on to ASW anymore with my ssn, anyone else have this prob?
Its working for me. Try again.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:21 am

Also, no $ or accommodations offered for ASW right? or did I miss something?

(no pizza box delivered here yet)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:46 am

BlakcMajikc wrote:Also, no $ or accommodations offered for ASW right? or did I miss something?

Someone a couple days ago said you can email them about travel stipends. But it's strictly need-based, so they want your Need Access first.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Has anyone tried negotiating for scholarship money yet? If not, when should we? After need- and merit-based offers are announced? When would that be?

(cross-posted in NYU 2011 thread)

moneko

Bronze

Post by moneko » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:35 am

free dinner party tomorrah!! :D

cawquette

New

Post by cawquette » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:16 am

hotthaichick wrote:So I'm pretty sure my acceptance letter was officially lost...

DLS 1/21 and still nothing in St Louis. I know I'm in due to the emails I've been getting and the ASW. Should I call admissions on Monday and ask for a new letter? Is that weird...?
i would call and ask. i am DLS 1/21 and i got my letter 1/30 and some packet with a magazine a few days ago. the snow storms probably lost it. maybe it'll show up...that is strange. a phone call won't retract your admission, so why not call.

i hope you get it soon! congrats =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cawquette

New

Post by cawquette » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 am

would anyone who has completed the NeedAccess form please give me an estimation of how long it takes to complete? any special documents?

thanks! and congrats to all! =)

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:23 am

cawquette wrote:
hotthaichick wrote:So I'm pretty sure my acceptance letter was officially lost...

DLS 1/21 and still nothing in St Louis. I know I'm in due to the emails I've been getting and the ASW. Should I call admissions on Monday and ask for a new letter? Is that weird...?
i would call and ask. i am DLS 1/21 and i got my letter 1/30 and some packet with a magazine a few days ago. the snow storms probably lost it. maybe it'll show up...that is strange. a phone call won't retract your admission, so why not call.

i hope you get it soon! congrats =)
I received exactly the same stuff. The pizza box, I'm realizing, could be kind of useful - I think it had professor profiles in it. I wonder if they'd resend it.

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am

ahduth wrote:I received exactly the same stuff. The pizza box, I'm realizing, could be kind of useful - I think it had professor profiles in it. I wonder if they'd resend it.
I've only received my purple envelope and ASW map thingy. No pizza box, no magazine. I called and mentioned that other admitted students reported receiving more materials than I had. The woman I spoke to told me to email them explaining what I had received and when I had received my letter of admission. I did so last Thursday, but haven't heard anything back so far. I really want the pizza box. NYU's faculty is one of its highlights for me.

Also, if anyone would care to answer my question from a few posts earlier about negotiating scholarships I'd really appreciate it.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:Has anyone tried negotiating for scholarship money yet? If not, when should we? After need- and merit-based offers are announced? When would that be?
I'd also like to know when merit-awards come out. Need... I'm not sure of. Need Access isn't due until much later on, right?

I also need to confirm with them the mechanism by which named scholarships are handled. Mine requires an interview - I think those requests go out in early March, but I need to find out if they'll tell me if I'm not being granted an interview.

Didn't respond to your question before because... I really have no information. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:57 pm

^^ I called the LS financial aid office yesterday, and they said they encouraged all students to get Need Access in within 2 weeks of being admitted (even though the deadline isn't until April 1). They also said it needed to be filled out in order to be considered for merit aid, but that seems to contradict some posts from last year, in which students received invitations to apply for dean's scholarships before they filled out any financial info. (I don't know if the same applies for named scholarships, but I would assume so). Anyway, I think a safe bet is to fill out at least Need Access ASAP.

timmna

Silver

Post by timmna » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Anyone else get calls from current students? I missed them, but I thought it was a really nice touch.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:
BlakcMajikc wrote:Also, no $ or accommodations offered for ASW right? or did I miss something?

Someone a couple days ago said you can email them about travel stipends. But it's strictly need-based, so they want your Need Access first.

Thanks. Will do.

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:12 pm

NYC_7911 wrote:^^ I called the LS financial aid office yesterday, and they said they encouraged all students to get Need Access in within 2 weeks of being admitted (even though the deadline isn't until April 1). They also said it needed to be filled out in order to be considered for merit aid, but that seems to contradict some posts from last year, in which students received invitations to apply for dean's scholarships before they filled out any financial info. (I don't know if the same applies for named scholarships, but I would assume so). Anyway, I think a safe bet is to fill out at least Need Access ASAP.
So merit isn't granted automatically and sent later on the basis of numbers--they ask you to write an essay for a Dean's?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”