Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:17 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

leopardRAWR

Re: Are You There, Dean Z? It's Us: Michigan 10/26 Club

Postby leopardRAWR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm

I'm thinking some maize and blue Christmas cookies with a reason Dean Z should show us 10/26ers some love written in icing on every cookie. Thoughts?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Yeah... So, I just realized today that I'm in this club too! Guess I wasn't paying much attention to how many people had the same date here. It's gotta be decision time soon, right? It's almost Christmas! :mrgreen:

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:45 pm

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:52 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:
zworykin wrote:Yeah... So, I just realized today that I'm in this club too! Guess I wasn't paying much attention to how many people had the same date here. It's gotta be decision time soon, right? It's almost Christmas! :mrgreen:

Welcome welcome. And yes, I would be happy with anything, Yes WL or ding, before new years. It's torturous.

But we'd all be happiest with acceptances!

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:53 pm

zworykin wrote:Yeah... So, I just realized today that I'm in this club too! Guess I wasn't paying much attention to how many people had the same date here. It's gotta be decision time soon, right? It's almost Christmas! :mrgreen:

If the stats in your profile are correct, they further the view that this is an exceptionally strong group.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:23 pm

Dwigt wrote:

If the stats in your profile are correct, they further the view that this is an exceptionally strong group.

Indeed, I'd like to think that. (Yes, they're accurate, with 2 caveats--my LSDAS GPA is 3.66, not quite the 3.7 in my profile, since TLS doesn't allow hundredths. Wonder why not? Edited my profile to note that, btw. And my 176 is a retake of a 5 year old 169 from when I took the test on a whim, with almost no prep, to provide moral support for a friend who was taking it. I didn't have any idea I'd eventually choose to go to law school. I'd have prepped for it if I'd realized how big a deal that old score could end up being.)

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 am

zworykin wrote:
Dwigt wrote:

Indeed, I'd like to think that. (Yes, they're accurate, with 2 caveats--my LSDAS GPA is 3.66, not quite the 3.7 in my profile, since TLS doesn't allow hundredths. Wonder why not? Edited my profile to note that, btw. And my 176 is a retake of a 5 year old 169 from when I took the test on a whim, with almost no prep, to provide moral support for a friend who was taking it. I didn't have any idea I'd eventually choose to go to law school. I'd have prepped for it if I'd realized how big a deal that old score could end up being.)

You're in. It's just a matter of when. (Michigan doesn't yield protect, per Dean Z's blog: http://www.law.umich.edu/connection/a2z ... 558f&ID=11)

I wish I could be that sure of my own chances 8)

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:48 am

I wonder what could be the red flag in our applications...do we all check that admitted students site a little too much? I'm not going to lie I check it maybe once a day. Anyone else?

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 am

I'm in this group too, still waiting on a Michigan decision despite the October completion date. I've stated this theory before but I'll state it again for this thread: so far on LSN no one with a 175 or higher has been accepted to Michigan without Harvard-level numbers. This leads me to believe that applicants with a score of more than 174 are being considered separately, perhaps by a separate individual or perhaps on a later date. Either way if you are an applicant with a higher than 174 LSAT do not yet be worried about admissions, chances are that they are considering your application differently. Historically Michigan is known for YPing large numbers of candidates, so here's hoping that that doesn't happen to us.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:12 am

St.Remy wrote:I'm in this group too, still waiting on a Michigan decision despite the October completion date. I've stated this theory before but I'll state it again for this thread: so far on LSN no one with a 175 or higher has been accepted to Michigan without Harvard-level numbers. This leads me to believe that applicants with a score of more than 174 are being considered separately, perhaps by a separate individual or perhaps on a later date. Either way if you are an applicant with a higher than 174 LSAT do not yet be worried about admissions, chances are that they are considering your application differently. Historically Michigan is known for YPing large numbers of candidates, so here's hoping that that doesn't happen to us.

I, for one, am in that strange six rectangle block with zero acceptances thus far: LSAT 175-180; GPA 3.7-3.9.
Last edited by The Real Jack McCoy on Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 am

leopardRAWR wrote:I wonder what could be the red flag in our applications...do we all check that admitted students site a little too much? I'm not going to lie I check it maybe once a day. Anyone else?

I check it about every other day :lol:

From what I understood from Dean Z's one post on TLS about the admitted students' site, they don't actually track how many times you check the site (though they can run a report that shows how many times you logged in if they wanted to).

Dean Z says they don't YP (in terms of rejecting, at least); perhaps waiting to give a response is their form of YP? Also looks like Mich will waitlist a lot of people with high numbers.

Here's the LSN graph so far. http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats
Here are October completions from last year: http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... er=asc&p=5

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:49 pm

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:11 am

seancooksey07 wrote:I'm getting a little more confident that more strong candidates are finding this group. But then again it also adds to the confusion. Why the delay? Why us? I'm starting to plan ahead for ASWs and I'd really like to be able to put Ann Arbir on my itinerary...

A huge +1 to that! I might be the weakest applicant of this group, and I don't think I'm a weak candidate for Michigan at all. I really want to know what it is that we have in common that's holding all of us up.

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:51 am

Maybe Dean Z is just trying to drum up more money to fund Darrows for all of us.

(One can wish! :lol:)

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:52 am

Dwigt wrote:Maybe Dean Z is just trying to drum up more money to fund Darrows for all of us.

(One can wish! :lol:)

This, clearly. Although if I actually got an invite, I'd never recover from the shock in time to submit the essay and whatnot. :P

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

beatrock

Postby beatrock » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:39 pm

10/26er here. I don't think I would call myself a strong applicant however, competitive certainly. 169/3.83

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:48 pm

Good luck everybody! Pulling for you!

Dwigt

Postby Dwigt » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

Still at complete.

Perhaps Santa will deliver our Michigan acceptances this year?

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:51 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:I'm getting a little more confident that more strong candidates are finding this group. But then again it also adds to the confusion. Why the delay? Why us? I'm starting to plan ahead for ASWs and I'd really like to be able to put Ann Arbir on my itinerary...

I suspect the delay is something of a game of finding more out about applicants--they've identified their clear Darrows, but after that they are looking for interest or withdrawal of applications from students getting into other schools. Just a suspicion--I didn't write a Why Michigan? but if I wrote materials now and an LOCI when appropriate I'd guess it'd help my chances. But I might also withdraw if I decide I'm sticking with HYS (the pure need-based schools). I'm probably the kind of applicant they are trying to filter or to compel to make up their mind.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:07 pm

The Real Jack McCoy wrote:

I suspect the delay is something of a game of finding more out about applicants--they've identified their clear Darrows, but after that they are looking for interest or withdrawal of applications from students getting into other schools. Just a suspicion--I didn't write a Why Michigan? but if I wrote materials now and an LOCI when appropriate I'd guess it'd help my chances. But I might also withdraw if I decide I'm sticking with HYS (the pure need-based schools). I'm probably the kind of applicant they are trying to filter or to compel to make up their mind.

sooooo, in other words.............YP?

The Real Jack McCoy

Postby The Real Jack McCoy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:21 pm

ilovemulch wrote:
The Real Jack McCoy wrote:

sooooo, in other words.............YP?

Sort of. In my case I did a poor job of communicating how Michigan was a good fit so I'm not terribly upset by the lack of an acceptance at this point. This might not apply to others, of course, but I can see why Michigan would pass on my application. Being at a school with the right fit really does help one succeed in the long run.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”