IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpk5372

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:OK i'm so confused. Not only did I get nothing, but my expected family contribution is REALLY high. I don't understand =(

Your expected family contribution is high, that's why you don't get anything.

Your parents income, and your/your parents' assets are probably the reasons. I you can review your needaccess form to make sure everything is right.

You can borrow the contribution amount in PLUS loans. they just don't automatically group it under loans because some people will opt to pay that amount.

Ugh this sucks. My parents are actually kind of against me going to law school in the first place and will def. not be contributing a single penny.... Considering whether its worth it to go to ASW or not now...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:06 pm

jpk5372 wrote:Ugh this sucks. My parents are actually kind of against me going to law school in the first place and will def. not be contributing a single penny.... Considering whether its worth it to go to ASW or not now...

I guess the need-based aid is only suppose to be for those who have no resources, not those who are unwilling to use resources. FWIW, they assessed me contribution that I have no way of paying, so I will be taking out loans to cover it.

Sorry :( so you are unwilling to pay sticker?

badgers22

Postby badgers22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Also just received the financial aid email. Didn't get any money either, but there was no mention of anything other than need-based aid, which I knew I would probably not qualify for.

Was hoping for some merit money though since I am around both 75ths. Is there any chance of getting merit money later or is this just it?

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:Ugh this sucks. My parents are actually kind of against me going to law school in the first place and will def. not be contributing a single penny.... Considering whether its worth it to go to ASW or not now...

I guess the need-based aid is only suppose to be for those who have no resources, not those who are unwilling to use resources. FWIW, they assessed me contribution that I have no way of paying, so I will be taking out loans to cover it.

Sorry :( so you are unwilling to pay sticker?

I can't really justify paying sticker since I have some other scholarships... I was just really excited about the prospect of Penn. I grew up in PA, love the area, my brother is close by and their programs sound great. I just am really concerned about racking up too much debt and being unable to pay it off...I can't really justify paying sticker anywhere. I guess I should go to ASW anyway to check it out, I just really don't want to fall in love with another school that I probably will be unable to attend.

czelede

Postby czelede » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:25 pm

Got a (1) in my inbox...

...from upenn.edu...

...It was for Penn Law Preview Day.

:(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:28 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
I can't really justify paying sticker since I have some other scholarships... I was just really excited about the prospect of Penn. I grew up in PA, love the area, my brother is close by and their programs sound great. I just am really concerned about racking up too much debt and being unable to pay it off...I can't really justify paying sticker anywhere. I guess I should go to ASW anyway to check it out, I just really don't want to fall in love with another school that I probably will be unable to attend.

Well like I trumpeted to someone else, if you make 60k and use IBR your payment is capped at $545/month no matter the amount.

ETA: of course this could change but I don't expect it to be other than to keep up with inflation but no one knows for sure obviously.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:44 pm

Just got mine-not quite as high as some other schools, but not bad at all. Going to try and negotiate it upwards.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Just got mine-not quite as high as some other schools, but not bad at all. Going to try and negotiate it upwards.

was this through the financial aid portal or a separate email?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:49 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:Just got mine-not quite as high as some other schools, but not bad at all. Going to try and negotiate it upwards.

Through the financial aid website, after I got the email with my username/password.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:51 pm

So excited to see you guys tomorrow!! Ahhh I can't believe it's so soon!

hoping

Postby hoping » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:52 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

Through the financial aid website, after I got the email with my username/password.

when did the ppl who heard today get accepted?! and congrats! :)

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:54 pm

hoping wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
jpk5372 wrote:

when did the ppl who heard today get accepted?! and congrats! :)

Thanks! I was accepted 1/3.

Edit: Although I think I was a week (or so) late with my FAFSA--I didn't complete it until late February.

hoping

Postby hoping » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:58 pm

thanks!!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:10 pm

still waiting :(

accepted 12/21

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:12 pm

czelede wrote:Got a (1) in my inbox...

...from upenn.edu...

...It was for Penn Law Preview Day.

:(

+1

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:15 pm

Haha I got an email on my phone from law.berkeley.edu, with the word scholarship it in.

Open it to find scholarship to Law Preview.

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:20 pm

Scheduled my visit to ASW before I knew Carolina would be playing their Sweet 16 Game during Penn events. Agh...I'll be the guy wearing Carolina blue and constantly - but hopefully discreetly - checking my Droid for updates.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:21 pm

Tarheel10 wrote:Scheduled my visit to ASW before I knew Carolina would be playing their Sweet 16 Game during Penn events. Agh...I'll be the guy wearing Carolina blue and constantly - but hopefully discreetly - checking my Droid for updates.

You mean you will only wear the color, but not the name? If you go all out they would probably understand.

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:25 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Tarheel10 wrote:Scheduled my visit to ASW before I knew Carolina would be playing their Sweet 16 Game during Penn events. Agh...I'll be the guy wearing Carolina blue and constantly - but hopefully discreetly - checking my Droid for updates.

You mean you will only wear the color, but not the name? If you go all out they would probably understand.

You thinking body paint?

qed2011

Postby qed2011 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:26 pm

Oh hi! I didn't attend UNC but my family lives in Chapel Hill. I'll have to sit next to you to see how my imaginary boyfriend Kendall Marshall is doing.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:Haha I got an email on my phone from law.berkeley.edu, with the word scholarship it in.

Open it to find scholarship to Law Preview.

Got me too....

Although, I have resigned myself not enough money from them to justify COA and seperation from my target market (DC). They won't match my one big offer (wft?)

Tarheel10

Postby Tarheel10 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 pm

qed2011 wrote:

Oh hi! I didn't attend UNC but my family lives in Chapel Hill. I'll have to sit next to you to see how my imaginary boyfriend Kendall Marshall is doing.

You better keep an eye on him. They way he's going to play on Friday, I reckon he'll encounter more than a few temptations later that night.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm

badgers22 wrote:Also just received the financial aid email. Didn't get any money either, but there was no mention of anything other than need-based aid, which I knew I would probably not qualify for.

Was hoping for some merit money though since I am around both 75ths. Is there any chance of getting merit money later or is this just it?

I spoke to the financial aid coordinator shortly after I received my email. I also received no financial aid and had no mention of merit anywhere in the email or on the site. I was told that the financial aid and merit aid processes are separate and that you could conceivably still receive merit aid in the future because the scholarship committee will continue meeting through about mid-April.

badgers22

Postby badgers22 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Kwax wrote:
badgers22 wrote:Also just received the financial aid email. Didn't get any money either, but there was no mention of anything other than need-based aid, which I knew I would probably not qualify for.

I spoke to the financial aid coordinator shortly after I received my email. I also received no financial aid and had no mention of merit anywhere in the email or on the site. I was told that the financial aid and merit aid processes are separate and that you could conceivably still receive merit aid in the future because the scholarship committee will continue meeting through about mid-April.

Thanks KWax. Hopefully we will both be getting some merit money in the future then. I really like Penn but I'm not sure I can rationalize that decision at sticker.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:36 pm

One more question RE negotiating: some of my acceptances haven't given me a scholarship letter or PDF. Is it acceptable to take a screenshot of the ASW/Financial Aid website that shows your award? I'm assuming so, but I wanted to check to see if anyone had done anything similar.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”