IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:21 pm

tipler4213 wrote:So, they just gave me a $0 birthday present. I guess its the thought that counts though, right?

:( Have faith that more is coming later! They were super busy, so they decided that they wanted to wait to make sure they could give you a super amazing present rather than give you the dinky crappy present that they would've had to pick up at a random gas station on the way to your place.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I still don't understand. For people who got the email today, and got no merit, is Penn saying "Don't worry, we haven't made decisions on your metrit aid yet"?

Yeah, pretty much what they said to me. I think what they want is for other people to decline their offers and they then take that money and offer it to us.

Spot on. I think they have more liberty to offer needs, with a much smaller pool of merit money to throw around. Penn is the only school so far to give me need aid so far.

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:30 pm

Does anyone know the likelihood of Penn matching (or close to matching) a full tuition scholarship from a peer school like UVA? Does it just really depend on the situation?

Edit: There is no way I would qualify for need.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:33 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:Does anyone know the likelihood of Penn matching (or close to matching) a full tuition scholarship from a peer school like UVA? Does it just really depend on the situation?

I would think it depends. Even schools that have matching policies don't straight match all the time. I remember reading in at least 2 books that it depends on your "fit" in the incoming class.

parsi

Postby parsi » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:36 pm

got 0 from penn

confusing to me because i both my parents and I made <20k last year and have no real assets..

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:Does anyone know the likelihood of Penn matching (or close to matching) a full tuition scholarship from a peer school like UVA? Does it just really depend on the situation?

I would think it depends. Even schools that have matching policies don't straight match all the time. I remember reading in at least 2 books that it depends on your "fit" in the incoming class.

Ok. That's what I thought. They could possibly not give me a dime, right?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:42 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Possible. You already would get a better deal/money off for being a VA resident, so it will take more to persuade you. So maybe they will pass on offer you a lot and focus on others? There are also other considerations anyway? Maybe you have a twin you don't know about admitted too. :lol:

Purely guessing by the way.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:43 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I believe Penn is the stingiest T14 (outside of YHS) when it comes to money in terms of % of students receiving merit-based aid.

I'm still hopeful we will see more money this cycle though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:44 pm

Older Chest wrote:I believe Penn is the stingiest T14 (outside of YHS) when it comes to money in terms of % of students receiving merit-based aid.

I'm still hopeful we will see more money this cycle though.

That may be, they more than makes up for it in need grants, if you are low-income. I don't think we expected this much need aid even for HYS.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:50 pm

A current Penn student has posted on Facebook that Friday night asw dinner emails were sent out. Check your email if you signed up for the dinner and fill out the survey! Four more sleeps until we're at Penn!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:52 pm

slax wrote:A current Penn student has posted on Facebook that Friday night asw dinner emails were sent out. Check your email if you signed up for the dinner and fill out the survey! Four more sleeps until we're at Penn!

yes it was sent Friday. With links to a survey of choices. I wonder where everyone wants to go, should we try to hit the same place?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote:A current Penn student has posted on Facebook that Friday night asw dinner emails were sent out. Check your email if you signed up for the dinner and fill out the survey! Four more sleeps until we're at Penn!

yes it was sent Friday. With links to a survey of choices. I wonder where everyone wants to go, should we try to hit the same place?

I already filled mine out. I don't even remember what I put since there were so many choices haha. And it would be confusing to coordinate anyway since we had to rank 14 different choices. We might have to all talk to non-TLS people at some point! :shock:

yngblkgifted

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Possible. You already would get a better deal/money off for being a VA resident, so it will take more to persuade you. So maybe they will pass on offer you a lot and focus on others? There are also other considerations anyway? Maybe you have a twin you don't know about admitted too. :lol:

Purely guessing by the way.

Well, at the time I wrote my negotiation letter, I was head over heels for Penn. I wrote passionately about why I would like to be in Philly next year. Hopefully the could sense my desire to attend. We'll see. Regardless, I plan on having an awesome time in Philly next weekend, who's with me?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:56 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:
Well, at the time I wrote my negotiation letter, I was head over heels for Penn. I wrote passionately about why I would like to be in Philly next year. Hopefully the could sense my desire to attend. We'll see. Regardless, I plan on having an awesome time in Philly next weekend, who's with me?

Well money usually cool that loving feeling real quick. I think if you can make a realistic case of why you would want Penn more, then they will probably consider you more seriously.

It's like the admissions process all over again isn't it. (everyone off to write Why Penn V.2)

sonervous88

Postby sonervous88 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:

Well money usually cool that loving feeling real quick. I think if you can make a realistic case of why you would want Penn more, then they will probably consider you more seriously.

It's like the admissions process all over again isn't it. (everyone off to write Why Penn V.2)

I;'ll be there Friday!!!

supahstahxruv

Postby supahstahxruv » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

ack, 1/7 here with an empty inbox. please love me penn...!!

congrats to everyone who's gotten offers so far!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:03 pm

sonervous88 wrote:I;'ll be there Friday!!!

Look for me!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

So I just got a thing about technical difficulties with a site and that I'll be getting an update later today. Did anyone else get that?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

Got an email saying there is some omitted info on the financial aid site. so everyone relax until they fix it.

:)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

r6_philly wrote:Got an email saying there is some omitted info on the financial aid site. so everyone relax until they fix it.

:)

Maybe they forgot to add a couple 0s. :D

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

I got that e-mail too! You are killing me Penn...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:06 pm

law_monkey wrote:So I just got a thing about technical difficulties with a site and that I'll be getting an update later today. Did anyone else get that?

Waaaa you get moooaaarrrr money?

cmaas

Postby cmaas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:07 pm

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:So I just got a thing about technical difficulties with a site and that I'll be getting an update later today. Did anyone else get that?

Watch the update be a tab where they forgot to tell us how to apply for some kind of loan or something like that. :evil:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Watch the update be a tab where they forgot to tell us how to apply for some kind of loan or something like that. :evil:

Well they are definitely missing some stuff on mine. I was just going to wait until they fix it anyway I am sure 100 people are calling at the same time.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”