IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bmore

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I got no $. No mention of merit. Above the 75th. Sent an offer from Cornell. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I will try again. :cry:

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm

law_monkey wrote:Just got mine. I got merit and need based. Unfortunately my need based decreases significantly over the 3 years, making my 1L year dirt cheap and my last year ridiculously expensive. I guess I won't complain though if others are getting nothing. :?

:shock: --> :evil: --> NYU 8)

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Just got mine. I got merit and need based. Unfortunately my need based decreases significantly over the 3 years, making my 1L year dirt cheap and my last year ridiculously expensive. I guess I won't complain though if others are getting nothing. :?

You got NYU?

slax

Postby slax » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:46 pm

No email here :cry:

Admitted first day of RD and a last name in the middle of the alphabet. Penn, please love me.

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

coveyellow wrote:I got the email last week and I got both merit and need-based (although the merit was pretty insignificant). When I emailed the fin aid office with offers from peer schools one of the things they said in their email back was "The email you received was an evaluation of your need based financial aid. The Merit Scholarship Committee is continuing to review files for merit scholarship consideration." I don't really understand it but I'll just let them do their thing...

Maybe they are sending out the need and merit combos and if you only get merit it may come later (hope, hope,hope)

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

bmore wrote:I got no $. No mention of merit. Above the 75th. Sent an offer from Cornell. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I will try again. :cry:

Why would Penn care about Cornell's offer? Kind of a big drop off between the two.....

Georgiana

Postby Georgiana » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

This is pretty common... they assume you'll be making pretty good money (30k+) during 2L summer (which for most people is true) so you'll need less loans during 3L. Plus, because its the last year, you won't be accruing interest on those loans for very long before you start repayment which also justifies giving you the bulk of the money during 1L. (UChicago also made offers like this when I was applying but they made the final year amount depend on whether you chose to do an SA job or something public interesty).

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:49 pm

flexityflex86 wrote:
bmore wrote:I got no $. No mention of merit. Above the 75th. Sent an offer from Cornell. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I will try again. :cry:

Why would Penn care about Cornell's offer? Kind of a big drop off between the two.....

I am hoping they will care a little. They said to send it in so I did.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 pm

You can have summer earnings for 1L (not a lot) and 2L (if you work firm) so that's probably why they staggered it.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:52 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:

Hahaha you make me laugh. We'll see. I'll know the first week of April...which is only a couple weeks away! :shock:

This is pretty common... they assume you'll be making pretty good money (30k+) during 2L summer (which for most people is true) so you'll need less loans during 3L. Plus, because its the last year, you won't be accruing interest on those loans for very long before you start repayment which also justifies giving you the bulk of the money during 1L. (UChicago also made offers like this when I was applying but they made the final year amount depend on whether you chose to do an SA job or something public interesty).

That makes sense and everything, but I'm 100% PI and will definitely not have that flashy summer work that brings in the $$$$$. So if that's how UChi works, then they do it better. Thanks Penn for not considering the fact that not everyone's biglaw. :roll:

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

This process is a little interesting -- I emailed them asking if they had taken into account my competing offers from other schools. They said that the merit decisions are still being made and this only reflected my need based stuff. Weird.
So, for people who got merit awards, when were you accepted/alphabetized?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:55 pm

TLSNYC wrote:This process is a little interesting -- I emailed them asking if they had taken into account my competing offers from other schools. They said that the merit decisions are still being made and this only reflected my need based stuff. Weird.

Accepted 1/7, got 4k per year in merit, last name is starts with a P.

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 pm

TLSNYC wrote:This process is a little interesting -- I emailed them asking if they had taken into account my competing offers from other schools. They said that the merit decisions are still being made and this only reflected my need based stuff. Weird.

Based on Penn's response I am thinking these Merits are in combo with need and the Merits only will come later.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:59 pm

pereira6 wrote:

Accepted 1/7, got 4k per year in merit, last name is starts with a P.

Hmm..I only got accepted 3 days later with the a last name that starts with around the same letter. I actually have a reason to deposit rather quickly and am wondering if I should just go ahead and do that if I don't get a merit email by the end of the week.I have a hard time believing that they really want to give me strictly merit money given my fairly weak numbers. They are my top choice though if money was equal

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Ugh @ UPenn costing a bazillion dollars a year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 pm

pereira6 wrote:Ugh @ UPenn costing a bazillion dollars a year.

It's only 1200 more than UVA's budget. Their loans are better since they offer institutional loans, subsidized.
Last edited by r6_philly on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 pm

I still don't understand. For people who got the email today, and got no merit, is Penn saying "Don't worry, we haven't made decisions on your metrit aid yet"?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Ugh @ UPenn costing a bazillion dollars a year.

It's only 1600 more than UVA's budget. Their loans are better since they offer institutional loans, subsidized.

And it's cheaper than Berkeley :( (Even accounting for getting IS at Boalt in years 2 and 3).

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Hmm. Did they give any indication as to when merit offers would be sent then? This is a major concern, because I got no need even though my parents aren't going to give me a dime (seriously guys, this isn't undergrad...) and I am dead-set on PI. I can be bought and some similar schools have/will made me some good offers. I will be very disappointed, because Penn is my top choice.

Quite frankly, this is pretty heart breaking. I would rather not get accepted than have to deal with realizing I can't afford to go...

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:I still don't understand. For people who got the email today, and got no merit, is Penn saying "Don't worry, we haven't made decisions on your metrit aid yet"?

Yeah, pretty much what they said to me. I think what they want is for other people to decline their offers and they then take that money and offer it to us.

TLSNYC

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:07 pm

tipler4213 wrote:

Hmm. Did they give any indication as to when merit offers would be sent then? This is a major concern, because I got no need even though my parents aren't going to give me a dime (seriously guys, this isn't undergrad...) and I am dead-set on PI. I can be bought and some similar schools have/will made me some good offers. I will be very disappointed, because Penn is my top choice.

Quite frankly, this is pretty heart breaking. I would rather not get accepted than have to deal with realizing I can't afford to go...

They said I could expect something by early April ..LoL.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:08 pm

tipler4213's letter to UPenn wrote:Hmm. Did they give any indication as to when merit offers would be sent then? This is a major concern, because I got no need even though my parents aren't going to give me a dime (seriously guys, this isn't undergrad...) and I am dead-set on PI. I can be bought and some similar schools have/will made me some good offers. I will be very disappointed, because Penn is my top choice.

Sincerely,

tipler4213

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm

pereira6 wrote:
tipler4213's letter to UPenn wrote:Hmm. Did they give any indication as to when merit offers would be sent then? This is a major concern, because I got no need even though my parents aren't going to give me a dime (seriously guys, this isn't undergrad...) and I am dead-set on PI. I can be bought and some similar schools have/will made me some good offers. I will be very disappointed, because Penn is my top choice.

Sincerely,

tipler4213

Haha, is this my negotiation letter?

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:16 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Sincerely,

tipler4213

Haha, is this my negotiation letter?

Somethin like that haha

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 pm

So, they just gave me a $0 birthday present. I guess its the thought that counts though, right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”