IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
obrienfa

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby obrienfa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:37 am

r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:I only need three credits as well but I was going to lose my health insurance if I wasn't at least part time so I am taking a graduate criminal justice class since my advisor couldn't find me anything else that wasn't at 8am.

Take computer crimes (grad or UG) if they offer it. It's a really interesting class.

What are you currently going to grad school for?

MPA with a focus on non-profit management. I am probably going to drop the core class and only take 1 elective. Especially if I can get Berkeley to say yes to a combined degree (then it would work for both B and P).

Computer crimes isn't offered at either level this semester so I am taking terrorism.
Very cool - I am assuming you are doing the MPA through Penn?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:41 am

obrienfa wrote:
Computer crimes isn't offered at either level this semester so I am taking terrorism.

Yup it's one of the approved joint degrees. It's listed as an MGA (governmental admin) now but they are changing it starting with my class. They can only dual count classes taken after law school matriculation so I am going to hold off on my last 4 core classes unil 2L. I am going to take the 1 elective I signed up for and maybe try to get in one of the Wharton classes.

thechee

Postby thechee » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:50 am

r6_philly wrote:
glacierfrost wrote:Does anyone know if the bookstore at Penn sells different or better looking Penn Law sweaters than the one on Zazzle??? My secret santa would love to know :wink:

I am pretty sure there are only 2 versions of pullover hoodies - dark blue with Penn Law on the front and a gray one. There are about 30 different kinds of general Penn sweatshirts, some are very cool, but not school specific.

You couldn't find anything good on Zazzle? I got mine on there and it turned out great.

Granted, it's not that easy a site to navigate. It took me a while to realize how many options are available beyond what's listed on the main page.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:33 pm

So I visited yesterday and this city totally kicked my ass. When I visited I didn't really realize a few very important things that I will share so you guys also do not have to find out the hard way. Though, I know a lot of you already live in Philly so you may already know or, hopefully, will refute some of this. 1) The financial/admissions individual I spoke with said that it's not a great idea to have a car as it will just be an added expense to take care of parking; 2) the apartments are pretty expensive/ hard to find/ small. I live in NYC/ Queenish area and for less than what I saw last night I get like 1,000 sq ft versus 700 sq ft or less. Does anyone know how much it costs to park at Penn? The adcomm just said that it was expensive but was an option.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

shanshan333 wrote:So I visited yesterday and this city totally kicked my ass. When I visited I didn't really realize a few very important things that I will share so you guys also do not have to find out the hard way. Though, I know a lot of you already live in Philly so you may already know or, hopefully, will refute some of this. 1) The financial/admissions individual I spoke with said that it's not a great idea to have a car as it will just be an added expense to take care of parking; 2) the apartments are pretty expensive/ hard to find/ small. I live in NYC/ Queenish area and for less than what I saw last night I get like 1,000 sq ft versus 700 sq ft or less. Does anyone know how much it costs to park at Penn? The adcomm just said that it was expensive but was an option.

Comes down to about $150 a month. You can buy the 9 month option or the year round option. The lot is fairly close. If you keep a car, you don't have to look for apartments near campus though. You can rent 1-2 br outside the city (10-20 min drive) for around $1000.

You can also rent near the regional rail lines and take the train right to middle of campus. Cost about the same as parking monthly but you get access to a lot better apartments. UG students like to live around campus since you can party, I am not so sure if it's the best option as a law student.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:47 pm

here is the new parking site

--LinkRemoved--

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks R6, you're the best. I would have just asked you directly but I figured it would be helpful for everyone else to know. I also haven't found a barn in Philly yet =(. I don't want to have to commute to NY to ride.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:02 pm

shanshan333 wrote:Thanks R6, you're the best. I would have just asked you directly but I figured it would be helpful for everyone else to know. I also haven't found a barn in Philly yet =(. I don't want to have to commute to NY to ride.

If you don't mind driving/commute/public transit, look for apartment in Havertown and Ardmore. Or across the river in Cherry Hill. I'd not rent in the city again anymore. Train is actually a very nice alternative. We get a deal at work for $100/month parking, if not I would be taking the train.

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:So excited to join this thread!! In via call yesterday, RD. Will definitely be going to ASW whenever that may be. This is one of my top choices so I'm really excited! Nice to meet you guys! (well some of you I "know" already haha)

Yes! Congrats! I think ASW was the last weekend of March last year. So what other options you have right now?

ahh good to know! I definitely want to attend ASW and am trying to plan couple trips this winter/spring so that info is very helpful! Well, right now Penn is def my #1 choice of everywhere I've gotten in (profile has the list + GW today via email!). I dont think I would take Fordham/GW/BU etc. with $ over Penn at sticker (and doubt ill get too much fr Duke etc.). My #1 though has been NYU but I feel WL-bound there!

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:05 pm

ilovemulch wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:So excited to join this thread!! In via call yesterday, RD. Will definitely be going to ASW whenever that may be. This is one of my top choices so I'm really excited! Nice to meet you guys! (well some of you I "know" already haha)

Yes! Congrats! I think ASW was the last weekend of March last year. So what other options you have right now?

ahh good to know! I definitely want to attend ASW and am trying to plan couple trips this winter/spring so that info is very helpful! Well, right now Penn is def my #1 choice of everywhere I've gotten in (profile has the list + GW today via email!). I dont think I would take Fordham/GW/BU etc. with $ over Penn at sticker (and doubt ill get too much fr Duke etc.). My #1 though has been NYU but I feel WL-bound there!

So will it probably be the last weekend of march again this year?

dj666

Postby dj666 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:15 pm

obrienfa wrote:
ilovemulch wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

So will it probably be the last weekend of march again this year?

From the status checker (that little intro paragraph at the top):

"Please save the date for our Admitted Students Weekend which will be held on Friday, March 25 and Saturday, March 26."

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:20 pm

r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:

Yup it's one of the approved joint degrees. It's listed as an MGA (governmental admin) now but they are changing it starting with my class. They can only dual count classes taken after law school matriculation so I am going to hold off on my last 4 core classes unil 2L. I am going to take the 1 elective I signed up for and maybe try to get in one of the Wharton classes.

Sup mang.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:25 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:

Sup mang.

Hey! How were the finals? How do grades work at Penn?

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
obrienfa wrote:

Sup mang.

Hey! How were the finals? How do grades work at Penn?

From my understanding, 0-few Cs, ~30% B-, ~30% B, 25% B+ 10% A, 0-few A+, or something like that? Varies by prof. This was one-time hearsay from someone else who looked at past distributions for one class. Either way, it's not so much what the grades are as where they will put you in the class. My assumption is the breadth of each grade bracket favors those who fall at the low end and disfavors those at the high end of each bracket, but largely serves to just obscure the actual standing in the class (esp. if you aggregate 4 classes).

Finals time has been hell, but the hype is worse than the reality. Freedom is almost disconcerting, but I wouldn't even think of complaining.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:36 pm

MC Southstar wrote:
From my understanding, 0-few Cs, ~30% B-, ~30% B, 25% B+ 10% A, 0-few A+, or something like that? Varies by prof. This was one-time hearsay from someone else who looked at past distributions for one class. Either way, it's not so much what the grades are as where they will put you in the class. My assumption is the breadth of each grade bracket favors those who fall at the low end and disfavors those at the high end of each bracket, but largely serves to just obscure the actual standing in the class (esp. if you aggregate 4 classes).

Finals time has been hell, but the hype is worse than the reality. Freedom is almost disconcerting, but I wouldn't even think of complaining.

Are the class ranks published? Is LRW graded? The 60% P think at Berkeley is still kind of attractive to my lazy ass. I suppose I have to be gunning if I pick Penn? lol

But seriously how's the atmosphere, is it competitive (openly?). Are people social like the rest of grad groups? I went to a bunch of social events and managed to not meet any law students. Wharton guys seem to be much more social.

MC Southstar

Postby MC Southstar » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:

Are the class ranks published? Is LRW graded? The 60% P think at Berkeley is still kind of attractive to my lazy ass. I suppose I have to be gunning if I pick Penn? lol

But seriously how's the atmosphere, is it competitive (openly?). Are people social like the rest of grad groups? I went to a bunch of social events and managed to not meet any law students. Wharton guys seem to be much more social.

Class rank is not published, LRW is pass/fail. I would think 60% P would just be an even broader version of the grading practice I just described, and the cost/benefit balance would be similar. The atmosphere is not competitive whatsoever, everyone is chill and friendly and helpful. People are social, but the general consensus is that GAPSA events have been kinda whack. Plenty of good times had earlier on the semester. Plenty. Consider that Wharton has like 900 students per class and none of the students do any work, their job is basically to socialize.

achilles

Postby achilles » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:56 pm

shanshan333 wrote:So I visited yesterday and this city totally kicked my ass. When I visited I didn't really realize a few very important things that I will share so you guys also do not have to find out the hard way. Though, I know a lot of you already live in Philly so you may already know or, hopefully, will refute some of this. 1) The financial/admissions individual I spoke with said that it's not a great idea to have a car as it will just be an added expense to take care of parking; 2) the apartments are pretty expensive/ hard to find/ small. I live in NYC/ Queenish area and for less than what I saw last night I get like 1,000 sq ft versus 700 sq ft or less. Does anyone know how much it costs to park at Penn? The adcomm just said that it was expensive but was an option.

good to know. i'm hoping to bring my car up too, although i don't plan to drive it to class. i have friends in DC, Boston and NY, and i want to take road trips. AND i want to be able to drive to get groceries/shop. sadly, i hate public transpo, a side effect of growing up in Houston. so far i think my best option as far as large apt complexes go is 2400 chestnut, where it's $120 per month for parking in a garage and not too far of a walk to campus. it's expensive, but oh so cheap compared to boston

...and i know this is crazy early, but anyone interested in getting a 2BR there? i suppose i'll have to wait til the fbook group is up, sigh

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:01 am

achilles wrote:so far i think my best option as far as large apt complexes go is 2400 chestnut

Good choice. It's right across from University City. And Shanin Specter lived there while attending Penn.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:40 pm

achilles wrote:

good to know. i'm hoping to bring my car up too, although i don't plan to drive it to class. i have friends in DC, Boston and NY, and i want to take road trips. AND i want to be able to drive to get groceries/shop. sadly, i hate public transpo, a side effect of growing up in Houston. so far i think my best option as far as large apt complexes go is 2400 chestnut,

Hmmm that's interesting, I'll definitely have to check that out. Your parking idea also sounds good. I'm also pretty spoiled when it comes to the car and I want to be able to drive home to NYC. Heavenwood aren't you suppose to be there today?where it's $120 per month for parking in a garage and not too far of a walk to campus. it's expensive, but oh so cheap compared to boston

...and i know this is crazy early, but anyone interested in getting a 2BR there? i suppose i'll have to wait til the fbook group is up, sigh

jjpp

Postby jjpp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:27 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
achilles wrote:

good to know. i'm hoping to bring my car up too, although i don't plan to drive it to class. i have friends in DC, Boston and NY, and i want to take road trips. AND i want to be able to drive to get groceries/shop. sadly, i hate public transpo, a side effect of growing up in Houston. so far i think my best option as far as large apt complexes go is 2400 chestnut,

Hmmm that's interesting, I'll definitely have to check that out. Your parking idea also sounds good. I'm also pretty spoiled when it comes to the car and I want to be able to drive home to NYC. Heavenwood aren't you suppose to be there today?where it's $120 per month for parking in a garage and not too far of a walk to campus. it's expensive, but oh so cheap compared to boston

I think there is one, though it is understandably a little underwhelming at 28 group members.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Penn-Law- ... 8558769404

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:35 pm

jjpp wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
I think there is one, though it is understandably a little underwhelming at 28 group members.

I am on there! shouldn't be hard to figure out ;)

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

In on Friday, just tagging. Yay Penn!

slax

Postby slax » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:26 pm

I just joined the fb group. It's still so small. Other people should join too!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
jjpp wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:

I am on there! shouldn't be hard to figure out ;)

Friend requested!

jjpp

Postby jjpp » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Admitted students website is up!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”