IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
miracle2011

Bronze
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby miracle2011 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I was accepted late December (the 1st day they started accepting RD's) and I still have not received an offer.

whytheface

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby whytheface » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:14 pm

I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.

User avatar
mcweanis

Bronze
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm

whytheface wrote:I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.

send a negotiation email thingy!!

User avatar
absolutazn87

Silver
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:16 pm

whytheface wrote:I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.

Did you email them your competing offers already??

bdubs

Gold
Posts: 3727
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby bdubs » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:19 pm

whytheface wrote:I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.


Perhaps because you didn't complete NeedAccess? A lot of schools do a combined need/merit review.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150356&p=4166896#p4166896

User avatar
absolutazn87

Silver
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:20 pm

bdubs wrote:
whytheface wrote:I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.


Perhaps because you didn't complete NeedAccess? A lot of schools do a combined need/merit review.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150356&p=4166896#p4166896

I didn't do needaccess either. I spent quite awhile talking to the financial aid office about it and they agreed that if (because of my parents' income) I didn't think I could qualify for need based aid, there was no point in submitting it.

User avatar
Older Chest

Bronze
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby Older Chest » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Penn is stingy when it comes to merit-aid compared to other schools.

See ABA data from LSAC: --LinkRemoved--.

silly101

Bronze
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby silly101 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:29 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
bdubs wrote:
whytheface wrote:I was accepted in December and just got an email with no $. Got merit $ at Chicago and Michigan so it's a bit confusing, but what can you do.


Perhaps because you didn't complete NeedAccess? A lot of schools do a combined need/merit review.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=150356&p=4166896#p4166896

I didn't do needaccess either. I spent quite awhile talking to the financial aid office about it and they agreed that if (because of my parents' income) I didn't think I could qualify for need based aid, there was no point in submitting it.


what if your parents are well-off but they arent helping you with school....

whytheface

New
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:19 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby whytheface » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I filled out need access, FAFSA etc.; no dice. I'm most likely matriculating elsewhere so won't be negotiating as it makes more sense for those funds to be offered to someone who is more likely to attend. Hope you all have better luck than I did :)

User avatar
absolutazn87

Silver
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Ok guys, I just called them. A few bits of information:

1) They are sending batches out today, tomorrow, and all through next week.

2) If you didn't do needaccess, it doesn't affect or delay when you get the email

3) They will have all the emails sent out for people who submitted FAFSA by the deadline and weren't admitted in March by the end of next week.

4) They try to send out the emails in order of acceptance but because some ppl are getting need only and some are merit only and some are both, it doesn't always work out that way.

tipler4213

Silver
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:31 pm

No e-mail yet for me either. Accepted 01/07. On pins and needles....

User avatar
forward

Bronze
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby forward » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm

tipler4213 wrote:No e-mail yet for me either. Accepted 01/07. On pins and needles....


Just behind at 1/14. I hope it arrives today.

User avatar
dpk711

Silver
Posts: 1241
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby dpk711 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:32 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Ok guys, I just called them. A few bits of information:

1) They are sending batches out today, tomorrow, and all through next week.

2) If you didn't do needaccess, it doesn't affect or delay when you get the email

3) They will have all the emails sent out for people who submitted FAFSA by the deadline and weren't admitted in March by the end of next week.

4) They try to send out the emails in order of acceptance but because some ppl are getting need only and some are merit only and some are both, it doesn't always work out that way.


thanks

TLSNYC

Silver
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:34 pm

dpk711 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:Ok guys, I just called them. A few bits of information:

1) They are sending batches out today, tomorrow, and all through next week.

2) If you didn't do needaccess, it doesn't affect or delay when you get the email

3) They will have all the emails sent out for people who submitted FAFSA by the deadline and weren't admitted in March by the end of next week.

4) They try to send out the emails in order of acceptance but because some ppl are getting need only and some are merit only and some are both, it doesn't always work out that way.


thanks


+ 1 Thanks for having the courage to give them a ring and report back!!! Good to know what's happening...

hoping

Bronze
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:36 pm

thank you absolutanz!!!!

tipler4213

Silver
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:38 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Ok guys, I just called them. A few bits of information:

1) They are sending batches out today, tomorrow, and all through next week.

2) If you didn't do needaccess, it doesn't affect or delay when you get the email

3) They will have all the emails sent out for people who submitted FAFSA by the deadline and weren't admitted in March by the end of next week.

4) They try to send out the emails in order of acceptance but because some ppl are getting need only and some are merit only and some are both, it doesn't always work out that way.


Thank you very much. I mean that from the bottom of my heart.

User avatar
absolutazn87

Silver
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:45 pm

you're welcome! :)

User avatar
Cpwilson

Bronze
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby Cpwilson » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:47 pm

absolut is the man. ca

User avatar
whitman

Silver
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby whitman » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:18 pm

So in the decision letter accessed by the link in the "Penn Law Financial Aid Decision," it would say if we received merit-based aid? Mine has no mention of it, but I wish they would just say, "You have not been selected to received merit-based aid." It only mentions need-based.

sarahlawg

Silver
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Got my letter - 75k. Only 18k as a merit award and my need-based is staggered (25k the first year). I think I will take this and try to negotiate instead of trying for Toll.

pereira6

Silver
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby pereira6 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:19 pm

sarahlawg wrote:Got my letter - 75k. Only 18k as a merit award and my need-based is staggered (25k the first year). I think I will take this and try to negotiate instead of trying for Toll.


I hope I'm just as fortunate with my need-based.

sarahlawg

Silver
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby sarahlawg » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm

pereira6 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:Got my letter - 75k. Only 18k as a merit award and my need-based is staggered (25k the first year). I think I will take this and try to negotiate instead of trying for Toll.


I hope I'm just as fortunate with my need-based.


my package leaves 10k unaccounted for... this does not look like a good package...

User avatar
slax

Bronze
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby slax » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:28 pm

No word and here and the lady who I emailed earlier this week said I'd know by Thursday. Lame.

TLSNYC

Silver
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby TLSNYC » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:33 pm

slax wrote:No word and here and the lady who I emailed earlier this week said I'd know by Thursday. Lame.


They're probably done for the day now, no? That does suck.

User avatar
starrydreamz3

Silver
Posts: 679
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 11:42 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Dean's Fellow - $42k total (all merit). I'm pleased, though I doubt Columbia will care. =/



Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jotbot91 and 19 guests