IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:24 pm

ilovemulch wrote:
silly101 wrote:ill be there wed nightt

we should plan a get together - it will be a mass blind date!

I also have Wed night free. Where? I am there

neyaae

Postby neyaae » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Anyone hear yet about non-named scholarships?

chrissyc

Postby chrissyc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:51 pm

Just got waitlisted :(

ksimon2007

Postby ksimon2007 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:52 pm

chrissyc wrote:Just got waitlisted :(

I guess you'll have to settle for Harvard...

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:53 pm

neyaae wrote:Anyone hear yet about non-named scholarships?

Nopee...got that email about ASW from Bayrex and freaked out when i saw the from: @law.upenn.edu address.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:03 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:

Nopee...got that email about ASW from Bayrex and freaked out when i saw the from: @law.upenn.edu address.

Same herrrrre

slax

Postby slax » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:21 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:

+1

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:42 pm

Classy lookin' sports bar is the Friday night outing. Nice.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:27 pm

pereira6 wrote:Classy lookin' sports bar is the Friday night outing. Nice.

You mean Domus? Movie night? I signed up for the dinner thing.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:22 am

You're killing me UPenn....

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:22 am

Not to instill any useless chatter, but I just called the financial aid office and garnered two nuggets of information.

1) The financial aid coordinator did not know when the final named scholarship offers would be released. She said it was an ongoing process that had not yet been concluded. Assuming she is telling the truth, this contradicts the information presented by an earlier poster that all named award nominations would be out by today. I am not saying I am right and the other poster wrong, just that there is contradiction in their statements.
2) You can submit numerous competing offers at different times. So if you have a big offer now, you can submit it for their consideration. Then if you receive a bigger one next week, you can have it added to your file.

Now, do people think I should submit my 54k Duke offer? I am still waiting on offers from NU, GULC, Georgetown, Berkeley, and Penn. I hope one of them will be bigger--namely a named scholarship at Penn--b/c I really want Penn but need lots of aid money. I will also apply for matching from Berkeley, which may make it easier to leverage a Cornell/GULC/etc. However, I noticed that Penn's cap on Dean's scholarship is 60k, so matching Duke would basically be their full offer if I don't get a named award.

What do you think? Should I submit Dukes? Wait for a while longer for bigger offer or named scholly invite (NU's start next week)? if you think wait, at what point should I give up and submit Duke's (don't want the money to go dry)?

slax

Postby slax » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:14 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Not to instill any useless chatter, but I just called the financial aid office and garnered two nuggets of information.

1) The financial aid coordinator did not know when the final named scholarship offers would be released. She said it was an ongoing process that had not yet been concluded. Assuming she is telling the truth, this contradicts the information presented by an earlier poster that all named award nominations would be out by today. I am not saying I am right and the other poster wrong, just that there is contradiction in their statements.
2) You can submit numerous competing offers at different times. So if you have a big offer now, you can submit it for their consideration. Then if you receive a bigger one next week, you can have it added to your file.

Now, do people think I should submit my 54k Duke offer? I am still waiting on offers from NU, GULC, Georgetown, Berkeley, and Penn. I hope one of them will be bigger--namely a named scholarship at Penn--b/c I really want Penn but need lots of aid money. I will also apply for matching from Berkeley, which may make it easier to leverage a Cornell/GULC/etc. However, I noticed that Penn's cap on Dean's scholarship is 60k, so matching Duke would basically be their full offer if I don't get a named award.

What do you think? Should I submit Dukes? Wait for a while longer for bigger offer or named scholly invite (NU's start next week)? if you think wait, at what point should I give up and submit Duke's (don't want the money to go dry)?

Trying to be as honest as possible, please don't take offense.

I would hope for a scholly at a peer school to submit as a negotiation point. Duke's scholly would be a last resort for me because Duke is not comparable to Penn. Penn would want to compete to get you from a higher ranked school or from a comparable school. In my opinion, they would not compete for you with Duke. You would help Duke's numbers, but you are at Penn's median, so what does Penn have to gain from you USNWR-wise? This is why Duke has offered you a scholarship, and thus far, Penn has not.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:20 pm

slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Not to instill any useless chatter, but I just called the financial aid office and garnered two nuggets of information.

I would hope for a scholly at a peer school to submit as a negotiation point. Duke's scholly would be a last resort for me because Duke is not comparable to Penn. Penn would want to compete to get you from a higher ranked school or from a comparable school. In my opinion, they would not compete for you with Duke. You would help Duke's numbers, but you are at Penn's median, so what does Penn have to gain from you USNWR-wise? This is why Duke has offered you a scholarship, and thus far, Penn has not.

No, believe it or not, honest is what I look for. I initially wasn't hoping highly for Penn, but I visited and met with someone in the finaid office who said I was "above" their medians (dropping with less applicants?) and a strong candidate for money with numbers and softs. Sure, probably pleasantries to some degree. However, I think he likely views Duke as a peer school--he said "top 10 or so". Plus, Berkeley's matching program makes it likely applicants can get the same offer from a school that was tied with them up until about 36 hours ago

slax

Postby slax » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:23 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
slax wrote:

No, believe it or not, honest is what I look for. I initially wasn't hoping highly for Penn, but I visited and met with someone in the finaid office who said I was "above" their medians (dropping with less applicants?) and a strong candidate for money with numbers and softs. Sure, probably pleasantries to some degree. However, I think he likely views Duke as a peer school--he said "top 10 or so". Plus, Berkeley's matching program makes it likely applicants can get the same offer from a school that was tied with them up until about 36 hours ago

Even with some fluctuation, MVPB are considered peer schools because they have shared the same rankings for about a decade. If you average their rankings since 2000, all of them are between 7-9. Based on that, I think that a Berkeley offer would be great to send to them. Also, if it is true, I'd include info that Penn is your top choice and the only think keeping you from attending is money.

forward

Postby forward » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:28 pm

slax wrote:

LSAT is median, but GPA is above. Plus, we all need to remember that apps at T14s are down. Simply put, there are fewer good scores and GPAs to go around than in the past few cycles. I'm not sure it will happen, but it wouldn't surprise me to see schools dishing out merit aid a bit more generously to folks whose numbers wouldn't have gotten much in the past (particularly as classes begin to take shape and the need for median-lifting becomes clearer).
Last edited by forward on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:32 pm

slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
slax wrote:

Even with some fluctuation, MVPB are considered peer schools because they have shared the same rankings for about a decade. If you average their rankings since 2000, all of them are between 7-9. Based on that, I think that a Berkeley offer would be great to send to them. Also, if it is true, I'd include info that Penn is your top choice and the only think keeping you from attending is money.

Understood and agreed to an extent. But that begs the question--do I submit the Duke offer to Penn and advise re: Berkeley's matching program? Do I immediately submit the Duke offer to Berkeley for matching? Or do I wait and see if NU, Cornell, GULC offer something bigger and try to get Berkeley to match that (or if they offer something straight up?

The third is the most appealing, because lets say NU likes my app a lot (neat W.E.) and offers something larger than Duke, but I already have submitted Duke for negotiation. Then if Berkeley matches, I have less to leverage with from Penn. However, the problem with waiting is that the money at Penn could run dry by the time NU/GULC/Cornell offer and/or match. Thoughts?

slax

Postby slax » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:42 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

Understood and agreed to an extent. But that begs the question--do I submit the Duke offer to Penn and advise re: Berkeley's matching program? Do I immediately submit the Duke offer to Berkeley for matching? Or do I wait and see if NU, Cornell, GULC offer something bigger and try to get Berkeley to match that (or if they offer something straight up?

The third is the most appealing, because lets say NU likes my app a lot (neat W.E.) and offers something larger than Duke, but I already have submitted Duke for negotiation. Then if Berkeley matches, I have less to leverage with from Penn. However, the problem with waiting is that the money at Penn could run dry by the time NU/GULC/Cornell offer and/or match. Thoughts?
[/quote]

I would personally check the Berkeley thread for info on turn around time. If it is short, submit the Duke offer to Berk, get a solid Berk offer, and then submit the Berk offer to Penn. With the Berkeley matching program, you'd have an offer at a peer school that should make Penn take notice.

Agree with Forward that since apps are down, Penn could want you for your GPA, which supports the idea of going straight at Penn with the Duke offer and pressure them.

I posted a link up thread a bit with very detailed negotiation posts. I'd check that out too to help your stance.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:13 pm

slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:

I would personally check the Berkeley thread for info on turn around time. If it is short, submit the Duke offer to Berk, get a solid Berk offer, and then submit the Berk offer to Penn. With the Berkeley matching program, you'd have an offer at a peer school that should make Penn take notice.

Agree with Forward that since apps are down, Penn could want you for your GPA, which supports the idea of going straight at Penn with the Duke offer and pressure them.

I posted a link up thread a bit with very detailed negotiation posts. I'd check that out too to help your stance.[/quote]

Agreed. Thanks for the insight. Always helpful to get perspective from someone else who is knowledgable. Plus, I flagged that negotiation thread a few days ago. I know its gonna be useful.

Postby 342848386278 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Anyone else having trouble logging into the financial aid site ? I recieved an email about half an hour ago stating that my financial aid info had been reviewed and evaluated, and that my decision was available on the finaid website, but every time I try to login I'm told that my account hasn't been activated... Perhaps I should give them an hour or two ?

coveyellow

Postby coveyellow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:01 pm

I just got in... they only gave me 5k a year.. looks like I won't be going to Penn. Even Chicago gave me more than that!

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:04 pm

has everyone received this email?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:05 pm

jpk5372 wrote:has everyone received this email?

Nope--sitting here waiting for it. I'd really love to know before I go to ASW.

hoping

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 pm

not me :( i wonder if i should email them that i got 75000 at nyu...

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:07 pm

hoping wrote:not me :( i wonder if i should email them that i got 75000 at nyu...

or, you know, just go to nyu at that point.

hoping

Postby hoping » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:09 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
hoping wrote:not me :( i wonder if i should email them that i got 75000 at nyu...

or, you know, just go to nyu at that point.

idk..i am not able to make the asw and was in penn this passed tues its rly amazing there...gorgeous campus and e1 is so nice...!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”