IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OutCold » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:10 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:I called the office and asked when the rest of the named scholarships should go out, and the woman I spoke to said the committee will be releasing decisions on Wednesday. So I guess if you haven't heard anything yet, hope for Wednesday, and if you're not going to get the named scholarship, I still think she meant you'll get some type of award on Wednesday anyways.


I have some other scholarship offers from other schools -- is my best bet to send them in now and hope for a higher than it would have been initial offer or wait and see the initial offer and then try to negotiate upwards using my current scholarships?

I emailed Bayrex with a similar question and he made a good point. While the scholarship committee will certainly reconsider their initial offer in light of new info, there is a lot less money available after those offers go out. I would say your best bet is to try and get as much as possible initially, since that is probably when the committee is most likely to be generous.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OutCold » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:14 pm

Of course, after reading post before me, it is also a valid concern that you might wind up with a lower offer than they were going to give. Pick your poison I suppose.

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby TLSNYC » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:25 pm

Kwax wrote:Of course, after reading post before me, it is also a valid concern that you might wind up with a lower offer than they were going to give. Pick your poison I suppose.


Given my numbers, I don't expect Penn to give me much, so I might as well send it in and hope that sending it in before the initial offer gets me at least a little bit.

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:57 pm

Also got a Toll invite today.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:35 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
hoping wrote:
forward wrote:Has anyone been able to locate a copy of Penn's grading curve online? I've been thus far unsuccessful.


for first year its 15% = A = 15%, A- = 15%, B+ = 25 %, B = 25 %, B- = 15%, C= 1-5 %

or s/t like tht! it was in the portfoliop they sent! but it says 2l and 3l = no curve...not sure what that means?


Wow, is that a super generous curve? Or am I unschooled in the norms of law school curves? I mean, the top 55%% gets a B+ or better.


Thanks Veyron!

To all those wondering about when to negotiate, I, too, am waiting until Wednesday to see if I get an offer before I submit my competing scholarship(s).

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 am

1)Do we think the all the offers to apply for named scholarships will be out by Wednesday, or should there be more?
2) Do all offers (named and Dean's) come via e-mail, or are some by snail-mail?
3) Are all the named scholarships invitations to apply, or are some direct offers?
4) Anyone had success negotiating a Dean's scholarship to above the $60k mark?

I want to go to Penn, but I want it to be the financially viable option, and I can be bought. I have received peer school offers that eclipse the Dean's and am scared that's all I am getting at Penn...

AHHHHHH!

User avatar
forward
Posts: 413
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 12:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby forward » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

Do folks who receive named schollie invites always walk away with at least something in merit aid?

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby slax » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:38 pm

I emailed yesterday asking when info would come out and told them of a competing scholarship (not a dollar amount, just said what % of tuition it covered at a competing school). They said candidates for named schollies will know no later than Thursday.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:42 pm

slax wrote:I emailed yesterday asking when info would come out and told them of a competing scholarship (not a dollar amount, just said what % of tuition it covered at a competing school). They said candidates for named schollies will know no later than Thursday.

Any info about Dean's schollys?

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby slax » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:44 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
slax wrote:I emailed yesterday asking when info would come out and told them of a competing scholarship (not a dollar amount, just said what % of tuition it covered at a competing school). They said candidates for named schollies will know no later than Thursday.

Any info about Dean's schollys?



Didn't ask, but I am guessing a wave is coming out Weds.

For anyone's reference, found this by perusing TLS: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Might help in negotiations

sarahlawg
Posts: 1001
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:53 pm

forward wrote:Do folks who receive named schollie invites always walk away with at least something in merit aid?


I also want to know this. I appreciate the Toll invite, but I'm not 100% sure that I want to commit to doing PI after LS. I don't want it to be an all-or-nothing kind of thing..

LSATclincher
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby LSATclincher » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:16 pm

To those who got in: Did you have 2 committee review dates or 1?

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby TLSNYC » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 pm

LSATclincher wrote:To those who got in: Did you have 2 committee review dates or 1?

2

ilovemulch
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby ilovemulch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:54 pm

is there a separate thread discussing the ASW next weekend? I'm going down on Weds 3/23 and wondering if there is a meet up that night for TLSers?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:00 pm

ilovemulch wrote:is there a separate thread discussing the ASW next weekend? I'm going down on Weds 3/23 and wondering if there is a meet up that night for TLSers?


There is a thread in the visit section, but not so active.

I can do lunch and or happy hour, just let me know.

silly101
Posts: 240
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby silly101 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 am

ill be there wed nightt

ilovemulch
Posts: 366
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby ilovemulch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:02 am

silly101 wrote:ill be there wed nightt


we should plan a get together - it will be a mass blind date!

User avatar
jpk5372
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:16 pm

aw man...i was in a meeting all day and was hoping to come back to happy money news. nothing yet?

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:22 pm

anyone wanna try calling them and asking when non-named schollys come out?

User avatar
jpk5372
Posts: 274
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:23 pm

Not it!

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:29 pm

got an email saying I am selected as an alternate for the levy :(

But in my email back mentioning my other offers I asked about regular scholarships, so I will report when I have an answer

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm

eaa1537 wrote:got an email saying I am selected as an alternate for the levy :(

But in my email back mentioning my other offers I asked about regular scholarships, so I will report when I have an answer

aw sorry to hear that! thanks for asking! did you just get that email now?

eaa1537
Posts: 384
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:21 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:38 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:got an email saying I am selected as an alternate for the levy :(
But in my email back mentioning my other offers I asked about regular scholarships, so I will report when I have an answer

aw sorry to hear that! thanks for asking! did you just get that email now?

Haha well it does make my decisions easier. But I got the email around 11am- so am hoping to get a response by tomorrow.

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby slax » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:05 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:got an email saying I am selected as an alternate for the levy :(
But in my email back mentioning my other offers I asked about regular scholarships, so I will report when I have an answer

aw sorry to hear that! thanks for asking! did you just get that email now?

Haha well it does make my decisions easier. But I got the email around 11am- so am hoping to get a response by tomorrow.


Aww man to being an alternate but good luck with negotiation.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:10 pm

Got a named one - notified a few days ago. Not as awesome as the Levy but still a lot of $...decisions keep getting harder




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, dasq5511, itsmako and 13 guests