IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
OrdinarilySkilled

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Haha I meant the admitted students ones talked about above. Glad those ones are good too. Or talking about same thing?

Actually I think they are just alumni receptions that admitted students are welcome to go to. Just as good.

Gotcha thanks.

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Just went through some of the stuff in the portfolio. Kinda disappointed in the lack of ip stuff at least compared to some other schools.

Edit: If you want to do IP and have an IP backround, I would not worry about de lack of de Ip "stuff." Penn is better for IP than any school in your profile, you can take IP as a 1L here. also, were are better for biglaw period.

I don't think law school makes or breaks IP. If you have the BG/WE for it, it will be ok no mtter where you go. If you don't, it's going to be tough cracking it because you are at a disadvantage to the people who do.

Yeah i hear that. I dont have much interest in other aspects of law so the more IP classes/clinics/journals the better. Not entirely about the job cause ill gladly go back to the one I have now if i dont find something better.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:45 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Yeah i hear that. I dont have much interest in other aspects of law so the more IP classes/clinics/journals the better. Not entirely about the job cause ill gladly go back to the one I have now if i dont find something better.

They don't have as many offerings as Boalt. They don't have a tech journal. However, they have very easy to get joint degrees. So I figure if I go to Penn, I only need to take about 10 electives, most of it in IP. Get the MBE. Still plenty. If I run out of things to take I can apply as a visiting student to another school.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:47 pm

a
r6_philly wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Yeah i hear that. I dont have much interest in other aspects of law so the more IP classes/clinics/journals the better. Not entirely about the job cause ill gladly go back to the one I have now if i dont find something better.

They don't have as many offerings as Boalt. They don't have a tech journal. However, they have very easy to get joint degrees. So I figure if I go to Penn, I only need to take about 10 electives, most of it in IP. Get the MBE. Still plenty. If I run out of things to take I can apply as a visiting student to another school.

Protip - regardless of Boalt's "strengths", it is still easier to get a (non-ca) job from Penn, irrespective of field.

If you have a tech undergrad or we worry about your 1L grades, not your WE.
Last edited by Veyron on Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:48 pm

Wow. I have no interest in IP or firm meetings, but reading through the last page and a half was probably the most entertained I have ever been on TLS. I feel like meeting drunk Veyron in person might be a reason in itself to go to Penn.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Protip - regardless of Boalt's "strengths", it is still easier to get a (non-ca) job from Penn, irrespective of field.

I gathered as far. But I am deadset on CA with Philly > NYC as backup.

But UVa $$$ is high up right now. I would do good regardless, so I am not too concerned other than cost. That said, you know I am all about Penn, so no need to sell that to me lol

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:53 pm

law_monkey wrote:Wow. I have no interest in IP or firm meetings, but reading through the last page and a half was probably the most entertained I have ever been on TLS. I feel like meeting drunk Veyron in person might be a reason in itself to go to Penn.

What kind of animal are you? You don't like free food and drinks?

We know how to have a good time here at Penn State - #1 party school for several years in the last decade.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I gathered as far. But I am deadset on CA with Philly > NYC as backup.

But UVa $$$ is high up right now. I would do good regardless, so I am not too concerned other than cost. That said, you know I am all about Penn, so no need to sell that to me lol

Lol, I was also in the "I will do good whatever" mentality since my LSAT was really fucking high. Yah, I am now a more humble veyron. That being said, obvi UVA with close to a full rid is TCR but penn will match or nearly match if you are assertive.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Wow. I have no interest in IP or firm meetings, but reading through the last page and a half was probably the most entertained I have ever been on TLS. I feel like meeting drunk Veyron in person might be a reason in itself to go to Penn.

We know how to have a good time here at Penn State - #1 party school for several years in the last decade.

Joe PA, woot woot, gonna win us a Heisman, woot woot!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 pm

Veyron wrote:Lol, I was also in the "I will do good whatever" mentality since my LSAT was really fucking high. Yah, I am now a more humble veyron. That being said, obvi UVA with close to a full rid is TCR but penn will match or nearly match if you are assertive.

I am not a more humble veyron unfortunately. My mentality is build on proven track records, not a test.

Anyhow, I have been very assertive so lets see how it works out.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Veyron wrote:

We already have a Heisman.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

As a psu grad, going to the fake penn for law school would be strange.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:58 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I'm fine with free food. The free lunches at the PI panels will be much appreciated! And I don't know if any school compares to my UG. It's filled with trust fund frat boys, so that should tell you something.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

As a psu grad, going to the fake penn for law school would be strange.

But now instead of getting confused with an IVY LEAGUE school, you will get confused with a AWSOME FOOTBALL school, best of both worlds!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:00 pm

law_monkey wrote:
I'm fine with free food. The free lunches at the PI panels will be much appreciated! And I don't know if any school compares to my UG. It's filled with trust fund frat boys, so that should tell you something.

You, girl, needs to go to a Wharton party.

And a reception.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Lol, I was also in the "I will do good whatever" mentality since my LSAT was really fucking high. Yah, I am now a more humble veyron. That being said, obvi UVA with close to a full rid is TCR but penn will match or nearly match if you are assertive.

I am not a more humble veyron unfortunately. My mentality is build on proven track records, not a test.

I mean, I also graduated with honors from a top undergrad, had earth shattering work experience, what else you want to know? The sad truth is, at this level your competition is nothing sort of the very flower of American man (and woman) hood.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm

Veyron wrote:I mean, I also graduated with honors from a top undergrad, had earth shattering work experience, what else you want to know? The sad truth is, at this level your competition is nothing sort of the very flower of American man (and woman) hood.

Competition is ... hmmm ... well let's just say I am lifetimes ahead when it comes to competitions. :mrgreen:

Anyhow, I will be aight 8)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:06 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I mean, I also graduated with honors from a top undergrad, had earth shattering work experience, what else you want to know? The sad truth is, at this level your competition is nothing sort of the very flower of American man (and woman) hood.

Hahaha what does that even mean???

You, girl, needs to go to a Wharton party.

In the event that I end up at Penn I'm sure that will happen. They better have guys that eat fire though, or I'm going to be very disappointed.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:07 pm

law_monkey wrote:
In the event that I end up at Penn I'm sure that will happen. They better have guys that eat fire though, or I'm going to be very disappointed.

They have guys who can pay for other guys to do anything, including eating fire. So that's going to be good.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

They have guys who can pay for other guys to do anything, including eating fire. So that's going to be good.

Looks like my decision's made then... JK. I'm actually not the biggest partier in the world, so I really don't care about how crazy the parties and/or firm receptions are. I will probably be the grandma of the class. :oops:

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:19 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Looks like my decision's made then... JK. I'm actually not the biggest partier in the world, so I really don't care about how crazy the parties and/or firm receptions are. I will probably be the grandma of the class. :oops:

I'll grandma it up with you, it's okay :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

They are not crazy, they are nice and enjoyable. I am too old for crazy parties. I just enjoy going to really nice places without paying. My kids are robbing me blind.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm

dulcatis wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

I'll grandma it up with you, it's okay :)

Yay! If we both end up at Penn we can have Pride and Prejudice/brownie nights!

They are not crazy, they are nice and enjoyable. I am too old for crazy parties. I just enjoy going to really nice places without paying. My kids are robbing me blind.

K you just made them sound crazy. If I went it would be to observe the drunk people, which is often pretty freaking hilarious.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 pm

law_monkey wrote:
K you just made them sound crazy. If I went it would be to observe the drunk people, which is often pretty freaking hilarious.

You don't have to participate in anything though. You just enjoy the amenities, then hang out with your friends. The experience is what you make it out to be.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

You don't have to participate in anything though. You just enjoy the amenities, then hang out with your friends. The experience is what you make it out to be.

And that's exactly what I would do. My enjoyment would come from my observations. And then I will go home early enough that I still have time to catch up on my TV shows before busting out my outlines! :D

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:You don't have to participate in anything though. You just enjoy the amenities, then hang out with your friends. The experience is what you make it out to be.

"How to get a shy friend to go to a strip club"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”