IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:12 pm

dulcatis wrote: I'm really interested in their clinics & their tonnnns of courses (as well as some cross-disciplinary stuff), so Penn is definitely way more on my horizon now than it was a few months ago.

I am sure they will stress it many times at ASW, but it is super easy to take classes outside of LS.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:37 pm

dulcatis wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:I'll be at the NYC Reception! Excited to meet everyone!

Also, I am just getting more and more excited about Penn. Their portfolio has done an amazing job of making the clinics, the courses and the city look more appealing than I though previously.

For others who are considering Penn and want to do public interest law, what is your thought process? I had sort of discounted Penn because they're not known for PI, but their variety of clinics and courses is changing my mind a little bit. I haven't done my comprehensive comparison of everyone's LRAPs yet, but theirs doesn't look bad. I also liked their clerkship numbers for recent graduates. Anyone else looking at these things and/or have a different perspective?

I'm going to do PI stuff! I've looked into their LRAP. It's not super amazing, but it's not awful either. If you PM me your e-mail I can send you a graph thingy I made of LRAPs. I'm really interested in their clinics & their tonnnns of courses (as well as some cross-disciplinary stuff), so Penn is definitely way more on my horizon now than it was a few months ago.

I'm PI too!!! And yeah I had the same concerns with Penn, but I feel like they have plenty of opportunities available. It's probably just self-select that they have a bigger rep for biglaw. I also think the overnight PI retreat looks like it would be a lot of fun and a great way to find a group with similar career interests. Are you going to the PI panel at ASW? If you're going to the second one I'll see you there!

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

SECOND PI PANEL IS ALWAYS TCR.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm

dulcatis wrote:SECOND PI PANEL IS ALWAYS TCR.

What, I signed up for the first one. I figured the first career services one will be crowded with biglaw people so I wanted to go to send CS one.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 pm

r6_philly wrote:

What, I signed up for the first one. I figured the first career services one will be crowded with biglaw people so I wanted to go to send CS one.

I'm sure they'll cut it off if there are 5 million people at the first one and none in the second. Plus it'll be nice to mix with the other PIs if we do get slammed with a bunch of biglaw propaganda. Not to mention the second PI has all the fun people signed up. :D

illwill

Postby illwill » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:55 pm

What does TCR stand for here? I'm signed up for the second so hoping this is a good thing.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:56 pm

illwill wrote:

What does TCR stand for here? I'm signed up for the second so hoping this is a good thing.

"the credited response"

It is definitely a good thing, because lots of awesome people will be there :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:57 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I'm sure they'll cut it off if there are 5 million people at the first one and none in the second. Plus it'll be nice to mix with the other PIs if we do get slammed with a bunch of biglaw propaganda. Not to mention the second PI has all the fun people signed up. :D

yes but all the biglaw gunners are going to be in the first one asking about SA and job placement in NYC and other stuff ... 2nd career services panel will be more laid back. Ok I will switch.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

yes but all the biglaw gunners are going to be in the first one asking about SA and job placement in NYC and other stuff ... 2nd career services panel will be more laid back. Ok I will switch.

Muahaha. A wise decision on your part. :twisted: Haha I also just had this really funny image of this TLS "clump" that are frequently seen together. The outsiders are going to wonder how we all know each other already.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 pm

law_monkey wrote:Muahaha. A wise decision on your part. :twisted: Haha I also just had this really funny image of this TLS "clump" that are frequently seen together. The outsiders are going to wonder how we all know each other already.

There is an in clique already??? :lol:

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Where are people hearing about these regional receptions in NYC, DC, etc.? I feel neglected... :(

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:33 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:Where are people hearing about these regional receptions in NYC, DC, etc.? I feel neglected... :(

ASW has info and Penn is e-mailing if you live in one of those areas.

Penn_ASW wrote:Other regional receptions in the coming month will include Miami, NYC, L.A., San Francisco, and Chicago. Information will be forthcoming very soon.

Postby 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:54 pm

law_monkey wrote:Muahaha. A wise decision on your part. :twisted: Haha I also just had this really funny image of this TLS "clump" that are frequently seen together. The outsiders are going to wonder how we all know each other already.

I believe that the correct response is "camp" :)

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:03 pm

dulcatis wrote:

"this one time, at band camp......" :lol:

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:34 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

"this one time, at band camp......" :lol:

I really did go to a pre-law camp in high school. :oops: And I hope the others don't hate us. We should invite at least one of them to the Thursday night social so it doesn't look like we're biased. Although I'm also planning on having an apartment-warming party as soon as I get out there. You must be a TLSer to attend. :wink:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Lol, all career services offices will mis-represent the tru-th terribly. If you want de strate dope, I will endeavor to give it 2 u.

P.s. Can you tell I just got back from a firm reception?
Ah, the biglaw does provide the good life, if only I am worthy. . .

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:21 pm

Just went through some of the stuff in the portfolio. Kinda disappointed in the lack of ip stuff at least compared to some other schools.
Re these receptions... What are they like? Can't decide if I want to go or not.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Just went through some of the stuff in the portfolio. Kinda disappointed in the lack of ip stuff at least compared to some other schools.
Re these receptions... What are they like? Can't decide if I want to go or not.

De top shelf booze is provided. De associates talk about how interresting their work is. De kobe beef is on tap. De partners woo you.

Basically, remember the first date you went on in high school where you wore a pushup bra? Basically like that.

Haha I meant the admitted students ones talked about above. Glad those ones are good too. Or talking about same thing?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Veyron wrote:Lol, all career services offices will mis-represent the tru-th terribly. If you want de strate dope, I will endeavor to give it 2 u.

P.s. Can you tell I just got back from a firm reception?
Ah, the biglaw does provide the good life, if only I am worthy. . .

I like firm receptions. I like all free food and drink things, especially when they are good.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:30 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Haha I meant the admitted students ones talked about above. Glad those ones are good too. Or talking about same thing?

Actually I think they are just alumni receptions that admitted students are welcome to go to. Just as good.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Veyron wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:Just went through some of the stuff in the portfolio. Kinda disappointed in the lack of ip stuff at least compared to some other schools.

Edit: If you want to do IP and have an IP backround, I would not worry about de lack of de Ip "stuff." Penn is better for IP than any school in your profile, you can take IP as a 1L here. also, were are better for biglaw period.

I don't think law school makes or breaks IP. If you have the BG/WE for it, it will be ok no mtter where you go. If you don't, it's going to be tough cracking it because you are at a disadvantage to the people who do.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 pm

Veyron wrote:

Fucking Kobe beef sliders. . . soooooooooooooooo goooood.

Where did you go? I like Kobe beef sliders.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm

-
Last edited by Veyron on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”