IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:04 pm

achilles wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
achilles wrote:Just got a text from my stepmom saying it has arrived (in TX)! Can't wait to get off work to see it!!!

I'm taking mine in to work with me. I never do anything there except TLS anyway, so I might as well do something useful and obsess over Penn. :D

MAN i wish i could get paid to stare at the portfolio for hours haha

Haha my boss says that when I'm being quiet she knows I'm on the forums.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Just got mine here in DC--this thing is MASSIVE in comparison to a lot of admit packets I've gotten. Postmark date of 2/5 (for those of us still recovering from our Columbia postmark obsession).

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:52 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:Just got mine here in DC--this thing is MASSIVE in comparison to a lot of admit packets I've gotten. Postmark date of 2/5 (for those of us still recovering from our Columbia postmark obsession).

I KNOW!!! It has so much information!!! As soon as I started looking through it I was ready to end this whole process and send in my deposit! Obviously I'm not going to do this, but the other schools really need something big to change my mind here. Helloooooo Penn!!!

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:56 pm

Yup, Penn just went up a few notches - I love that they sent a course booklet that included descriptions of each course. I was pleasantly surprised at how many theory-oriented courses there were (not a ton, but more than I expected for Penn) - though who can say how often they're actually offered.

I feel like it's Christmas Pt II with this portfolio.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Yup, Penn just went up a few notches - I love that they sent a course booklet that included descriptions of each course. I was pleasantly surprised at how many theory-oriented courses there were (not a ton, but more than I expected for Penn) - though who can say how often they're actually offered.

Yeah at first I thought that since they're small and have fewer course offerings than other schools I'm considering it might be a disadvantage. But then I realized that I wouldn't have time to take all the classes I want to, especially clinics where registration might be competitive/not everyone who wants to gets into a class. I definitely think there are enough options at Penn that I can take what I want without feeling like I'm missing out on a bunch of other classes. There're pros and cons to both, but I can DEFINITELY live with Penn's cons.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Yup, Penn just went up a few notches - I love that they sent a course booklet that included descriptions of each course. I was pleasantly surprised at how many theory-oriented courses there were (not a ton, but more than I expected for Penn) - though who can say how often they're actually offered.

At the T-14, the problem isn't getting MORE theory, its getting less fucking theory. I hate listening to people who couldn't even litigate a case prattle on about their "ideas." Fortunately, as an upperclassman (and even 2nd semester to some extent), you can take classes from people who were/are actually lawyers.
Last edited by Veyron on Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:27 pm

Vanderbilt sent a very similar portfolio (wasn't quite in portfolio form, but contained a TON of information).

It's very impressive, mainly because it's extremely helpful.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:33 pm

pereira6 wrote:Vanderbilt sent a very similar portfolio (wasn't quite in portfolio form, but contained a TON of information).

That's really all I want out of a portfolio. As nice as faculty profiles are, they don't answer any questions about the schools or the cities. Penn definitely gave us all that and then some.

wen5000

Postby wen5000 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi guys! Bit late to the party here, but I just got my admit on Friday! Very excited, my first admit in the T14 (I also got in at Vanderbilt, and their packet is very awesome, agree with above :D). What is the current consensus/schedule all the TLS people are doing...?

Fortunately, as an upper [inappropriate content removed by mods] (and even 2nd semester to some extent), you can take classes from people who were/are actually lawyers.

FYP.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Vanderbilt sent a very similar portfolio (wasn't quite in portfolio form, but contained a TON of information).

That's really all I want out of a portfolio. As nice as faculty profiles are, they don't answer any questions about the schools or the cities. Penn definitely gave us all that and then some.

I agree! Lots of great information. (I still haven't figured out to do with the faculty profiles I received...)

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:16 am

wen5000 wrote:Hi guys! Bit late to the party here, but I just got my admit on Friday! Very excited, my first admit in the T14 (I also got in at Vanderbilt, and their packet is very awesome, agree with above :D). What is the current consensus/schedule all the TLS people are doing...?

Fortunately, as an upper ----------- (and even 2nd semester to some extent), you can take classes from people who were/are actually lawyers.

FYP.

Congrats!!! Welcome!!! Join the FB group!!! :D

coveyellow

Postby coveyellow » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 pm

Just signed up for ASW... I think this is the only school I'll be going to for the ASW so I'm pretty excited :)

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:48 pm

I hope you guys have a great time at ASW--I'll be missing out :( I just scheduled my individual visit however which is pretty exciting. I hope to god they don't have me one on one with dean post or anything though. That would be terrifying.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:57 pm

Just sent my Levy essay :shock:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:58 pm

123xalady wrote:I hope you guys have a great time at ASW--I'll be missing out :( I just scheduled my individual visit however which is pretty exciting. I hope to god they don't have me one on one with dean post or anything though. That would be terrifying.

She is very friendly. I ran into her at the admissions office without knowing who she was lol

Let me know if you want to hang out when you come to visit. I hold happyhours twice a week with view of the front door of the law school.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
123xalady wrote:I hope you guys have a great time at ASW--I'll be missing out :( I just scheduled my individual visit however which is pretty exciting. I hope to god they don't have me one on one with dean post or anything though. That would be terrifying.

She is very friendly. I ran into her at the admissions office without knowing who she was lol

Let me know if you want to hang out when you come to visit. I hold happyhours twice a week with view of the front door of the law school.

Hahaha R6 Penn should really be giving you a salary or something

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:08 pm

123xalady wrote:Hahaha R6 Penn should really be giving you a salary or something

:mrgreen:

Postby 4102011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:12 pm

slax wrote:Just sent my Levy essay :shock:

Damn you're speedy!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Quick question, when are Levys supposed to be awarded? I guess they wont discuss deans until after the named are given out.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:32 pm

dulcatis wrote:
slax wrote:Just sent my Levy essay :shock:

Damn you're speedy!

Jeez I'm still working on mine too, I want to get it out by this week though- maybe that way we hear earlier!

Postby 4102011 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:42 pm

Last year they came out 03/04. And I'm hoping to have a draft that just needs polishing by the end of the week...

slax

Postby slax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:08 pm

I have five papers and a presentation the last week of Feb. I had to get a move on things.

I hate to admit this, but I'm gonna...I'm an early kind of person. I finished reading all of my textbooks before school started. Last semester, I finished every assignment before October ended. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am weird. :oops: :roll:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:10 pm

slax wrote:I have five papers and a presentation the last week of Feb. I had to get a move on things.

I hate to admit this, but I'm gonna...I'm an early kind of person. I finished reading all of my textbooks before school started. Last semester, I finished every assignment before October ended. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am weird. :oops: :roll:

GUNNER alert.

shanshan333

Postby shanshan333 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:12 pm

slax wrote:I have five papers and a presentation the last week of Feb. I had to get a move on things.

I just have to say... Who are you? Who does this? I tried to get my procrastination into remission, but then I also contracted senioritis which, as you all know, exacerbates and brings on terminal procrastination. I am currently in Stage II, but my senior thesis may be just what will bring me to Stage III: DEATH.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:14 pm

Please don't judge me.... Hahaha I know. I'm very odd. My girlfriend writes papers at 3am the night before they are due. I just can't let things sit. Otherwise, I'd keep thinking about it until I did it. Getting my work done early is for my sanity. Trust me, I get made fun of a lot in my family for my neuroses.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”