IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
absolutazn87

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby absolutazn87 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 pm

somewhere wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Its just so. . . high school like. I don't know. After I visited, I didn't even apply. Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C.

I want to wok in the Bay Area. I guess that matters a bit?

Wasn't talking about B. But yes, if you want to work in the Bay Area enough to take a huge gamble with regard to finding a good job at all, B is the correct option. I also imagine that the weather is more civilized.

You weren't talking about B? But you said "M and B".

Would you mind posting links to earlier discussions or suggesting where and what to search for? This is something I'd really like to know more about, and I tried a few quick searches here and didn't turn up much. Nobody here is trying to be annoying. Where's this information coming from?

Edit: To be clear, I'm aware Berkeley has lower BigLaw placement, but I think that's likely accountable to self-selection. If there's more to it than that, I really am interested in whatever insight you might have.

Yeah I'm also trying to make a decision between Penn and Mich with $$. Any info you can share would be awesome!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:15 pm

somewhere wrote:
Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Its just so. . . high school like. I don't know. After I visited, I didn't even apply. Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C.

I want to wok in the Bay Area. I guess that matters a bit?

Wasn't talking about B. But yes, if you want to work in the Bay Area enough to take a huge gamble with regard to finding a good job at all, B is the correct option. I also imagine that the weather is more civilized.

You weren't talking about B? But you said "M and B".

Would you mind posting links to earlier discussions or suggesting where and what to search for? This is something I'd really like to know more about, and I tried a few quick searches here and didn't turn up much. Nobody here is trying to be annoying. Where's this information coming from?

Edit: To be clear, I'm aware Berkeley has lower BigLaw placement, but I think that's likely accountable to self-selection. If there's more to it than that, I really am interested in whatever insight you might have.

Wait, I'm confused. All I was saying is that UVA was like high school, not B.

Berkeley has lower biglaw placement due to self selection into CA, not PI (there are numbers out there for % working in PI upon graduation and there isn't a huge difference among the T-14. Does B place as well as MVP in CA, absolutely, if not better. However, CA (especially nor-cal) is CRAZY HARD. Say you care more about getting a job (and will bid NYC, the largest, easiest market b/c of this) or you want to work in NYC. Guess what, fewer NYC interview slots per capita are available B's OCI because lots of firms don't want to fly all the way across the country ITE to interview when they can get plenty of kids from the East Coast T-14.

Could you mass mail? Absolutely. Will it make your life harder that you can't line up 20-30 guaranteed interviews from your pick NYC firms across the V spectrum like you can at Penn? Absolutely.

For M you are going to have to dig around more but the basic consensus from what I have been reading is that they have been performing really inconsistently. Its a large school, its difficult for firms to get to AA, career services has been giving out some bad advice, they don't have as dedicated alums in NYC or as good of a reputation in NYC [the king of markets], etc. Penn middle 1/3 still has a shot at biglaw, M seems to be median or die.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Is UPenn Law in a bad area?

Edit: High crime, etc...

Are you just guessing at this because it's geographically next to Philly?

No, I have never been to the city. I have just heard that some areas are not safe to be in alone at night, and I was wondering if UPenn was in one of those areas. Also, how close is the LS to the UG campus?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:09 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:Is UPenn Law in a bad area?

Edit: High crime, etc...

Are you just guessing at this because it's geographically next to Philly?

No, I have never been to the city. I have just heard that some areas are not safe to be in alone at night, and I was wondering if UPenn was in one of those areas. Also, how close is the LS to the UG campus?

NO, unless you live West 48 st ish you will be fine. Its a big city, so ya there is random crime just like in NYC (NYU or Columbia) or Chicago and yes, the farther West you go the more dangerous it is.

The Law School is on the UG campus and it is the lead building on the North-East Corner of the campus (see the closest to Center City...which where I live). There is also a block long park (Hill field) before the law school which signals the beginning of Penn's campus.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:59 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Yeah I'm also trying to make a decision between Penn and Mich with $$. Any info you can share would be awesome!

Is there a vote? Cuz if so I vote you come to Penn!!! :D

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Veyron wrote:Wait, I'm confused. All I was saying is that UVA was like high school, not B.

Sorry for the confusion, the thing you said that grabbed my interest was "Still, I would say that they [UVA] have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C."

So I was wondering why you thought M and B had worse career prospects.

Thanks for the info.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:30 pm

somewhere wrote:
Veyron wrote:Wait, I'm confused. All I was saying is that UVA was like high school, not B.

Sorry for the confusion, the thing you said that grabbed my interest was "Still, I would say that they [UVA] have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C."

So I was wondering why you thought M and B had worse career prospects.

Thanks for the info.

Ah, ok. I'm glad my response was helpful.

FWIW, at the point where you are talking half tuition, I doubt that the difference between P and M is substantial enough to warrant going to Penn though I might try to negotiate.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:04 am

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 am

law_monkey wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:Yeah I'm also trying to make a decision between Penn and Mich with $$. Any info you can share would be awesome!

Is there a vote? Cuz if so I vote you come to Penn!!! :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:10 am

I am committed to hang out all night Thurs. I guess we will decide after the informal reception. I'll drive :D

Frankie55

Postby Frankie55 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:14 am

Judging from the fact that no one on LSN has a merit award yet, I'm guessing we can assume they're mailed some time over the next two months?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:33 am

Frankie55 wrote:Judging from the fact that no one on LSN has a merit award yet, I'm guessing we can assume they're mailed some time over the next two months?

Named invites just came out Friday. Dean's in the next few weeks.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 am

r6_philly wrote:I am committed to hang out all night Thurs. I guess we will decide after the informal reception. I'll drive :D

Haha do you have a vehicle that will fit all of us?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:54 am

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I am committed to hang out all night Thurs. I guess we will decide after the informal reception. I'll drive :D

I have a 8 seater - family SUV.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:04 am

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Haha ok then I call the first 7 people other than you on the spreadsheet get dibs. :D

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:05 am

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Haha ok then I call the first 7 people other than you on the spreadsheet get dibs. :D

+1 :D

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:28 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

+1 :D

Haha that means there's only one spot left already. :P

And also I'm sooooo excited to finally meet you all in person!

achilles

Postby achilles » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Nabbed the last spot! Although, it's a "university city student social" so I bet it's within walking distance from the reception. Anyone else staying at the Crowne Plaza? I just booked a room, and I'm looking for possible travel buddies

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:20 pm

I don't know what place they are going to choose, and some of you may want to check out other nightlife options in the city.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:40 pm

Did anyone else ask to stay with a current Penn Law student? I am eager to save the hotel money if I can, so I did. I hope they let me know one way or another with enough time to book the hotel room if I have to, though.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:02 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Did anyone else ask to stay with a current Penn Law student? I am eager to save the hotel money if I can, so I did. I hope they let me know one way or another with enough time to book the hotel room if I have to, though.

That's what I did too. Although now I'm wondering if that was the right choice if I'm going to participate in the Thursday night shenanigans. :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:07 pm

law_monkey wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Did anyone else ask to stay with a current Penn Law student? I am eager to save the hotel money if I can, so I did. I hope they let me know one way or another with enough time to book the hotel room if I have to, though.

That's what I did too. Although now I'm wondering if that was the right choice if I'm going to participate in the Thursday night shenanigans. :P

You guys haven't gotten a match yet right?

We will see about Thurs. night. I hope they pick a nice place.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

No they said we won't get one until a week or two before.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

No they said we won't get one until a week or two before.

Yeah I wasn't sure how the student matching would turn out so I'm just crashing with a friend who's doing grad school at Penn

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:10 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:Yeah I wasn't sure how the student matching would turn out so I'm just crashing with a friend who's doing grad school at Penn

Which school? I never asked you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”