IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
somewhere

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby somewhere » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:04 pm

Cool. Yeah, my difficulty is getting the time off work. Trying to figure it out though. Funny how much a motivator a tshirt is, when you can probably just buy the exact same thing for $20.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm

So I can't make it to ASW--I'm going to be out of the country--should I e-mail them and let them know? I don't want them to think it's because I'm not interested in the school that I'm not there, but then they don't really solicit "no" RSVPs....

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:08 pm

somewhere wrote:Cool. Yeah, my difficulty is getting the time off work. Trying to figure it out though. Funny how much a motivator a tshirt is, when you can probably just buy the exact same thing for $20.

Yeah but it's not really a motivator; it's just exciting. And after paying all these airfares I would much prefer the free stuff. Unfortunately I'm only going to be at two ASWs since the schools I'm really considering overlap a little. So NYU and Penn better have amazing freebies because I'm making sacrifices for them!!! :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:12 pm

123xalady wrote:So I can't make it to ASW--I'm going to be out of the country--should I e-mail them and let them know? I don't want them to think it's because I'm not interested in the school that I'm not there, but then they don't really solicit "no" RSVPs....

You are already admitted, so you can't be withdrawn unless you do so. Although it may be easier to negotiate for money if you visited. I suggest you try to make it to the preview day. If that doesn't work go for an individual visit and see if they can still give you the stipend.

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
123xalady wrote:So I can't make it to ASW--I'm going to be out of the country--should I e-mail them and let them know? I don't want them to think it's because I'm not interested in the school that I'm not there, but then they don't really solicit "no" RSVPs....

You are already admitted, so you can't be withdrawn unless you do so. Although it may be easier to negotiate for money if you visited. I suggest you try to make it to the preview day. If that doesn't work go for an individual visit and see if they can still give you the stipend.

thanks for the response, yeah I'm mostly worried about how missing ASW will affect scholarship negotiations. I think you're right--I'm going to set up an individual visit.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:41 pm

123xalady wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

thanks for the response, yeah I'm mostly worried about how missing ASW will affect scholarship negotiations. I think you're right--I'm going to set up an individual visit.

IMO individual visits can be great. It might depend on the school, but my visit to Duke was insanely relevant and informative because all the meetings were catered to my interests. So you might actually be getting a better deal than we are (minus the free swag).

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:45 pm

123xalady wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

How does scholly negotiation work exactly? Do you sit down for a conference?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:05 am

neonx wrote:

If you have the nerve! :lol:

Usually just via phone/email. Lay out your positions and bargain over aid.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 am

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:

Yeah and don't make any promises you don't plan on keeping!

Postby 4102011 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:13 pm

Registered for ASW! Going to the second PI thing :)

NikaneOkie

Postby NikaneOkie » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 pm

what are the ASW dates again?

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:22 pm

NikaneOkie wrote:what are the ASW dates again?

March 24/25 I believe!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:

There is no substitute for face-to-face. Follow up by phone and email if necessary. R6 you better get some fucking dollaz, you're not nearly obnoxious enough to enjoy UVA.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:26 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
neonx wrote:

There is no substitute for face-to-face. Follow up by phone and email if necessary. R6 you better get some fucking dollaz, you're not nearly obnoxious enough to enjoy UVA.

Someone has to protect the other 1Ls from Veyron! :P

Postby 4102011 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:27 pm

The Stig wrote:
NikaneOkie wrote:what are the ASW dates again?

March 24/25 I believe!

There's some optional stuff on the 24th (Thursday evening) & then it goes until Saturday afternoon.

Also, since I somehow didn't have one of these before:

Form:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/embedde ... N2EwRlE6MQ

Spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CNurvd4L

& lemme know if there are any other questions i should add
Last edited by 4102011 on Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Veyron wrote:

That'd be sad if it was true about UVa.

TBF, if it isn't apparent - I am in my own little world and I enjoy it quite a bit regardless :mrgreen:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

That'd be sad if it was true about UVa.

TBF, if it isn't apparent - I am in my own little world and I enjoy it quite a bit regardless :mrgreen:

Maybe, although there are a bunch of UVA people who annoy me on this board and irl, JSUVA has given me some good advice over the years and I do have a really close friend down there (although he never really fit in).

Its just so. . . high school like. I don't know. After I visited, I didn't even apply. Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Veyron wrote:Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B ...

Why?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:06 pm

somewhere wrote:
Veyron wrote:Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B ...

Why?

Oh no, not this.

Search - its a hell of a thing.

Edit: Forget I said anything - all schools are equally good: you can achieve anything YOU CAN DREAM!

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:17 pm

Veyron wrote:
somewhere wrote:

Why?

Oh no, not this.

Search - its a hell of a thing.

Edit: Forget I said anything - all schools are equally good: you can achieve anything YOU CAN DREAM!

Okay, but what should I search for and where? Michigan Berkeley Virginia? I'm not trying to be a jerk, I've just never heard this and am curious.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Is UPenn Law in a bad area?

Edit: High crime, etc...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:27 pm

gbpackerbacker wrote:Is UPenn Law in a bad area?

Edit: High crime, etc...

Are you just guessing at this because it's geographically next to Philly?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Veyron wrote:
Its just so. . . high school like. I don't know. After I visited, I didn't even apply. Still, I would say that they have much better career prospects than M and B and are definitely the right choice for D.C.

I want to wok in the Bay Area. I guess that matters a bit?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:50 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Wasn't talking about B. But yes, if you want to work in the Bay Area enough to take a huge gamble with regard to finding a good job at all, B is the correct option. I also imagine that the weather is more civilized.

somewhere

Postby somewhere » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Veyron wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:

Wasn't talking about B. But yes, if you want to work in the Bay Area enough to take a huge gamble with regard to finding a good job at all, B is the correct option. I also imagine that the weather is more civilized.

You weren't talking about B? But you said "M and B".

Would you mind posting links to earlier discussions or suggesting where and what to search for? This is something I'd really like to know more about, and I tried a few quick searches here and didn't turn up much. Nobody here is trying to be annoying. Where's this information coming from?

Edit: To be clear, I'm aware Berkeley has lower BigLaw placement, but I think that's likely accountable to self-selection. If there's more to it than that, I really am interested in whatever insight you might have.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”