IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
silly101

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby silly101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
silly101 wrote:i have heard that cyber law may be the next big thing, with penn's internet law program, yes?

Yeah, I really hope that new grant helps boost their technology law programs. If so, that totally moves Penn up my list too!

200k starting boutique firms with biz casual and 1800 billable? I can dream.

+1

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 pm

bdubs wrote:So I just visited at Penn recently and all of the people they matched me up with talked about reasons for choosing Penn over Columbia and NYU. I was really glad to hear that there people at Penn who do choose to attend over CCN.

Just curious how many of the admits to Penn here on TLS would do the same?

*I'm looking at you law monkey :-)

Haha you are correct in that I would have little hesitation in picking Penn over NYU. From what I've seen the fake hierarchies are kind of a TLS thing anyway. I still need to visit both their campuses and get financial aid info before making a final decision, but Penn's had my heart for a very long time. My only concern is that I want to do PI, and NYU's PI program is solid. But as long as I make sure that I'll have enough support at Penn and hear a couple success stories when I visit, I foresee a lot of Philly cheese steaks in my future. :D

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Anyone here know where I can find the details of the 1L summer financial support program for public interest?

Since 1L SAs are so rare, it seems likely that I may rely on this so I wanted to get a handle on the details.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:58 pm

bdubs wrote:Anyone here know where I can find the details of the 1L summer financial support program for public interest?

Since 1L SAs are so rare, it seems likely that I may rely on this so I wanted to get a handle on the details.

You probably get the most up to date info by emailing the Toll center.

If I don't land a 1L SA, and if I can't get decent funding to do PI stuff, I am going to take a contract job and do what I do now. I think I need to make decent money in the summer time unfortunately.

illwill

Postby illwill » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Just got in and excited to learn more about the Philadelphia area. Anyone know of good sites that can give me an more honest view of the neighborhoods in the area. Preferably not the Chamber's glossy brochure version of things.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:45 pm

bdubs wrote:Anyone here know where I can find the details of the 1L summer financial support program for public interest?

bdubs I feel like we have the same interests. Let's be friends and dominate PI. :)

Just got in and excited to learn more about the Philadelphia area. Anyone know of good sites that can give me an more honest view of the neighborhoods in the area. Preferably not the Chamber's glossy brochure version of things.

r6_philly is our resident Philly expert. And the FB page has Penn students on there who will tell you what's safe.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:16 am

Hey everyone! For those of you who don't regularly stalk the Penn ASW, there are a ton of new updates including an announcement that a Philly restaurant profile will be in the NY Times this Sunday (yummy!), a brief description of their LRAP policies (handy!), an apology that the Penn portfolios will not be mailed out until next week due to printer issues (sadness!), and a tiny snippet on the life of Penn 1Ls (scary!). Plus of course the pretty login picture changed. Just wanted to let you all know in case any of those would be of interest. :D

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:37 am

law_monkey wrote:Hey everyone! For those of you who don't regularly stalk the Penn ASW, there are a ton of new updates including an announcement that a Philly restaurant profile will be in the NY Times this Sunday (yummy!), a brief description of their LRAP policies (handy!), an apology that the Penn portfolios will not be mailed out until next week due to printer issues (sadness!), and a tiny snippet on the life of Penn 1Ls (scary!). Plus of course the pretty login picture changed. Just wanted to let you all know in case any of those would be of interest. :D

yay! thanks for the heads up! :)

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Postby TrustMeI'mAnActress » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:44 pm

Is anyone else having trouble getting the admitted students' site to load?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:38 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:Is anyone else having trouble getting the admitted students' site to load?

Yes. And I am on Penn's network now, no load. It will probably come back later.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:30 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Hey everyone! For those of you who don't regularly stalk the Penn ASW, there are a ton of new updates including an announcement that a Philly restaurant profile will be in the NY Times this Sunday (yummy!), a brief description of their LRAP policies (handy!), an apology that the Penn portfolios will not be mailed out until next week due to printer issues (sadness!), and a tiny snippet on the life of Penn 1Ls (scary!). Plus of course the pretty login picture changed. Just wanted to let you all know in case any of those would be of interest. :D

yay! thanks for the heads up! :)

tehe yay I need to check it out

dabomb75

Postby dabomb75 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:17 pm

So in the "Ask Penn Students Questions" thread, the current students were mentioning that it's a good idea to find housing before ASW, because the best housing sells out by then? Thoughts/opinions resident philly experts (I'm looking at you r6_philly)? Any of you going to try and make a separate trip next month to find housing?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:33 pm

dabomb75 wrote:So in the "Ask Penn Students Questions" thread, the current students were mentioning that it's a good idea to find housing before ASW, because the best housing sells out by then? Thoughts/opinions resident philly experts (I'm looking at you r6_philly)? Any of you going to try and make a separate trip next month to find housing?

I know less about student housing since I live here and don't rent, the 2L/3Ls will probably help you more. However, there have been plenty of decent apartments away from school - 15-20 minutes away by public transit or car, and you can probably find them in June/July. So keep those in mind as backup plans, unless you like to live off-campus.

I suggest you post the housing question on the official class of 2014 page (not the group, but the one run by current students).

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

Has anyone in the first batch of RD acceptances received their admission portfolio?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:42 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning pursuing a career in public interest, but would love to combine a focus on entrepreneurship with PI/environmental law/human rights law. Obviously the entrepreneurship aspect makes Penn perfect, but I am worried the school is too big law focused for me. Anyone know about their support for PI, how well it does with placing grads into good PI positions?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm

miracle2011 wrote:Has anyone in the first batch of RD acceptances received their admission portfolio?

Nope. On the ASW they said they had printing issues and would be out like this past week or something, but with all the weather issues I'm not surprised that they're not out yet.

I'm interested in this as well. I'm planning pursuing a career in public interest, but would love to combine a focus on entrepreneurship with PI/environmental law/human rights law. Obviously the entrepreneurship aspect makes Penn perfect, but I am worried the school is too big law focused for me. Anyone know about their support for PI, how well it does with placing grads into good PI positions?

I've been doing a little bit of digging on this. I don't remember the exact amount, but I think that pretty much everyone who wants summer funding gets it. And they do have a lot of students interested in biglaw, but I haven't got the sense yet that they don't support those who want PI. They have the Toll Center and a career advisor specifically devoted to PI interests.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:21 pm

miracle2011 wrote:Has anyone in the first batch of RD acceptances received their admission portfolio?

I thought I saw an errant comment on the Columbia thread about someone getting a packet from Penn in the mail (not sure if it was the faculty packet or not). People over there were too stressed about mail schedules for a follow up Q.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 pm

bdubs wrote:

I thought I saw an errant comment on the Columbia thread about someone getting a packet from Penn in the mail (not sure if it was the faculty packet or not). People over there were too stressed about mail schedules for a follow up Q.

haha i think i PMed that guy and he said it was just the faculty packet :(

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 pm

bdubs wrote:

Yeah I kind of think he just got the original envelope. He's in LA where I am, and I don't have anything. Plus there's no way LA would be the first to get a Penn package no matter how messed up the weather is.

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:54 pm

Things I want:

1. The package that isn't the faculty thingy

2. People to start getting scholarship stuff so I can start figuring stuff out!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 pm

dulcatis wrote:Things I want:

They are awfully late with merit money this year. I am going to email them about it tomorrow.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:58 pm

Things I want:

1. Also the Penn portfolio

2. Also scholly/financial aid info

3. ASW to be right this second so I can finally see my dream school in real life!!!!!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:59 pm

law_monkey wrote:

Things I want:

3. ASW to be right this second so I can finally see my dream school in real life!!!!!

Well if you are so anxious, come down and visit now. I will offer you a tour.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:09 am

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Things I want:

Well if you are so anxious, come down and visit now. I will offer you a tour.

Too bad I was just looking up plane tickets today, and it's freaking $400 to come out there! And it's the trip back that's the problem. For all the airlines where you have to buy two one way tix, from LA to Philly was reasonable but heading back was INSANE!!! Plus I have to get my wisdom teeth pulled, so I'm already going to be making some law school travel compromises. Plan to fly out to Penn every single weekend until I get to stay there forever has been sabotaged. :evil: :evil: :evil:

123xalady

Postby 123xalady » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:56 pm

I too am anxious for scholarship info--but I was looking at last year's thread and it seemed like people heard in March? :?

Also, from my searches it looks like Penn is a little stingy with merit money :( (Specifically, they often -well I saw at least four cases- turn down requests to match peer schools)

Can anyone say something to the contrary.. please haha?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”