IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ship87

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby Ship87 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:31 pm

sarahlawg wrote:o.o
and my mother's reaction on the phone:

me: I got into UPenn law!
mom: Honey that's GREAT! (turns to bf to tell him the news) Sarah got into Penn State!!

..oh UPenn, how little lay prestige you have.

hahahah +1
I applied Jan 2nd, complete Jan 3rd, 3.74/177 so I hope to join this thread in a a month or so!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:01 am

sarahlawg wrote:Have they already sent out Levy invites to people? On the admitted students site it says they'll start the first round of merit-based aid offers in 2-3 weeks, so does that mean that's when they'll send out the invites, or that's when they'll send out offers on invites? I was looking through last year's LSN data and saw people were getting those invites this time last year.

just started this thread on negotiating merit aid. it may be relevant to some of you :)

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=144646

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:01 pm

Taggingggg :)

Super excited to get my UPenn stuff when I get back to NYC this weeeek :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:20 pm

dulcatis wrote:Taggingggg :)

I only got a faculty book so far, I thought they were going to send a packet out by now?

Postby 4102011 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Yeah they said they were, maybe they were just lying?

I don't get back to my law school mailing address til Friday. Will def post what I have then.

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:02 pm

dulcatis wrote:Yeah they said they were, maybe they were just lying?

I don't get back to my law school mailing address til Friday. Will def post what I have then.

I just got the faculty profiles thing in the mail this week (also got one from NYU). TBH I'm not entirely sure what to do with them other than read it and think "cool, they have professors doing cool things..."

Don't law schools know that the ways to our hearts is through pretty pictures of buildings, smiling faces, and employment data? :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm

The Stig wrote:

I just got the faculty profiles thing in the mail this week (also got one from NYU). TBH I'm not entirely sure what to do with them other than read it and think "cool, they have professors doing cool things..."

Don't law schools know that the ways to our hearts is through pretty pictures of buildings, smiling faces, and employment data? :D

Check the pic thread for photos I took last week. BTW I still only have 2 viewbooks, 1 from Berkeley 1 from USC. I can't believe it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:19 pm

r6_philly wrote:
dulcatis wrote:Taggingggg :)

I only got a faculty book so far, I thought they were going to send a packet out by now?

Me too. What's up with that?

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:
The Stig wrote:

Check the pic thread for photos I took last week. BTW I still only have 2 viewbooks, 1 from Berkeley 1 from USC. I can't believe it.

Oh I definitely appreciated the photos! I requested a bunch of viewbooks earlier this summer, and picked some up at a law fair at my school, so I have some nice pictures.

I feel like there is a definite difference between getting a viewbook and an admitted student viewbook. It's as though the tables have turned in that before, you wanted them, and now they want you... makes me :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:26 pm

The Stig wrote:I feel like there is a definite difference between getting a viewbook and an admitted student viewbook. It's as though the tables have turned in that before, you wanted them, and now they want you... makes me :D

Which is all the more disappointing that I have not received any from UT (they sent a UG catalog...) and Penn (yet).

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:31 pm

r6_philly wrote:Check the pic thread for photos I took last week. BTW I still only have 2 viewbooks, 1 from Berkeley 1 from USC. I can't believe it.

did you not check the box for LSAC? I have a viewbook from like every law school in existence. they won't stop sending them!

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:56 pm

sarahlawg wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Check the pic thread for photos I took last week. BTW I still only have 2 viewbooks, 1 from Berkeley 1 from USC. I can't believe it.

did you not check the box for LSAC? I have a viewbook from like every law school in existence. they won't stop sending them!

Yeah I went to one of the LSAC forums, so I picked up a book from every school I applied to then. I agree that they're a lot better once you're accepted though. There's no way I'm going to Cornell, but their big pretty binder almost put them back on my list. I'm excited for Penn's though. I hope it's a beautiful work of art!!!

achilles

Postby achilles » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:01 am

i think penn said they'd be sending the portfolios in late January, so they should be mailing them soon!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:09 am

The Stig wrote:

All it does it make me feel vastly inferior...some of these folks have a zillion phds in hard sciences from ivies and oh btw a law degree from Yale.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:11 am

r6_philly wrote:

I still think you should take 20 minutes and request viewbooks (some call them 'bulletins') from the websites...a few (Chicago and UVA off the top of my head) explicitly state not to ask for one and to save trees by looking at it online. The others have a simple address form to fill out and boom they're in your mailbox.

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:14 am

Joining this thread. I've been walking around with a smile on my face ever since I got the call on Friday!

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 am

pereira6 wrote:
The Stig wrote:

All it does it make me feel vastly inferior...some of these folks have a zillion phds in hard sciences from ivies and oh btw a law degree from Yale.

You are totally right! I started reading through UPenn's and didn't even know what some of the degrees they had were... :oops:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:12 am

achilles wrote:i think penn said they'd be sending the portfolios in late January, so they should be mailing them soon!

Binders are supposed to go out at the end of this week or beginning of next week.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:10 pm

bdubs wrote:
achilles wrote:i think penn said they'd be sending the portfolios in late January, so they should be mailing them soon!

Binders are supposed to go out at the end of this week or beginning of next week.

Sooooo excited!!! Cornell's was awesome but I don't want to go there and I was a little underwhelmed by NYU's, so I'm hoping that Penn will be the best of both worlds!

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:23 am

So I just visited at Penn recently and all of the people they matched me up with talked about reasons for choosing Penn over Columbia and NYU. I was really glad to hear that there people at Penn who do choose to attend over CCN.

Just curious how many of the admits to Penn here on TLS would do the same?

*I'm looking at you law monkey :-)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:27 am

bdubs wrote:So I just visited at Penn recently and all of the people they matched me up with talked about reasons for choosing Penn over Columbia and NYU. I was really glad to hear that there people at Penn who do choose to attend over CCN.

Just curious how many of the admits to Penn here on TLS would do the same?

*I'm looking at you law monkey :-)

All sticker I would choose Penn over CCN. Penn has just received a large grant to expand their Internet Law program, which is going to be my specialty. So it moved up several notches for me yesterday.

http://www.law.upenn.edu/blogs/news/arc ... ition.html

I also like the Master of BioEthics program. I think the possibility and opportunity to gain knowledge from another field is excellent at Penn.

silly101

Postby silly101 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:24 pm

i have heard that cyber law may be the next big thing, with penn's internet law program, yes?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 pm

silly101 wrote:i have heard that cyber law may be the next big thing, with penn's internet law program, yes?

I am trying to find out more about their program. I am definitely heading in this area since it's an extension of my professional career. I just want to know if Penn's offering is as competitive and comprehensive as Berkeley's. The grant is sure to generate some good options since it is to be spent on policy research. I am studying public policy/admin right now so this may be the perfect thing for me.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:28 pm

silly101 wrote:i have heard that cyber law may be the next big thing, with penn's internet law program, yes?

Yeah, I really hope that new grant helps boost their technology law programs. If so, that totally moves Penn up my list too!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:35 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:

Yeah, I really hope that new grant helps boost their technology law programs. If so, that totally moves Penn up my list too!

200k starting boutique firms with biz casual and 1800 billable? I can dream.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”