IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
law_monkey

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:I don't think anyone in at Boalt is interested in one, I think I posted twice.

No matter, I am a networking kind of person and I am completely immune from peer pressure, so talking with other committed folks doesn't affect my mindset a bit.

I just love Penn so much already that I get easily excited when people are talking about the fun stuff. I'm like 99.9% sure at this point, and at least a smidgen of that is the facebook group. Penn should pay those of you who started it for doing such great recruiting work. :)

Edit because I didn't want to post twice: Whenever I see someone mention the facebook group now I always wonder who they are.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Well you all know who I am ;)

I will definitely sign up for recruiting work, I did that for UG and my grad school (see Facebook group haha).

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:Well you all know who I am ;)

I will definitely sign up for recruiting work, I did that for UG and my grad school (see Facebook group haha).

Yeah I love talking about the schools/groups I'm a part of. I'm obsessed with my UG, and I probably sound like a paid automaton or something whenever I talk to potential students about how awesome it is.

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:09 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Well you all know who I am ;)

Yeah I love talking about the schools/groups I'm a part of. I'm obsessed with my UG, and I probably sound like a paid automaton or something whenever I talk to potential students about how awesome it is.

Haha yeah, I did recruiting/admissions outreach at my UG too

The Stig

Postby The Stig » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

i was admitted last friday, but i figured i'd join the thread!
w
I will definitely be visiting for ASW... what do you all think about the stipend? Are you going to use it? What, exactly, qualifies as the Northeast?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:29 pm

The Stig wrote:i was admitted last friday, but i figured i'd join the thread!
w
I will definitely be visiting for ASW... what do you all think about the stipend? Are you going to use it? What, exactly, qualifies as the Northeast?

If there is a form of transportation which will get you to Penn and costs substantially less than $200 (like <$150), you are in the Northeast.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Checking in.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:35 pm

The Stig wrote:i was admitted last friday, but i figured i'd join the thread!
w

I'm in Cali so I will greatly appreciate the help on airfare.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:48 pm

Just got my admit letter in the mail - it's official now!!!! Thanks Penn! I <3 you too!!! :D

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:57 pm

law_monkey wrote:Just got my admit letter in the mail - it's official now!!!! Thanks Penn! I <3 you too!!! :D

Is it a letter or the full admit package that they talked about?

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:58 pm

bdubs wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Just got my admit letter in the mail - it's official now!!!! Thanks Penn! I <3 you too!!! :D

Is it a letter or the full admit package that they talked about?

+1

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Just the letter. I'm on the west coast, so I will probably be among the last to get the admit packet. I was just excited to have confirmation.

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:06 pm

law_monkey wrote:Just the letter. I'm on the west coast, so I will probably be among the last to get the admit packet. I was just excited to have confirmation.

So far, Penn or NYU? Which way are you leaning?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:08 pm

123kl wrote:
law_monkey wrote:Just the letter. I'm on the west coast, so I will probably be among the last to get the admit packet. I was just excited to have confirmation.

As much as I really really love NYU, at this point I'd have to say I'm leaning Penn. But I'm doing campus visits in March and financial aid packages will also be a major factor for me, so it'll probably be a while before I actually commit anywhere. Dare I ask you Penn or Harvard haha?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm

law_monkey wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't think anyone in at Boalt is interested in one, I think I posted twice.

No matter, I am a networking kind of person and I am completely immune from peer pressure, so talking with other committed folks doesn't affect my mindset a bit.

I just love Penn so much already that I get easily excited when people are talking about the fun stuff. I'm like 99.9% sure at this point, and at least a smidgen of that is the facebook group. Penn should pay those of you who started it for doing such great recruiting work. :)

Edit because I didn't want to post twice: Whenever I see someone mention the facebook group now I always wonder who they are.

Lol, fun stuff. The thing they don't tell you is you have to go through the living hell of 1L first!

123kl

Postby 123kl » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:12 pm

law_monkey wrote:
123kl wrote:

As much as I really really love NYU, at this point I'd have to say I'm leaning Penn. But I'm doing campus visits in March and financial aid packages will also be a major factor for me, so it'll probably be a while before I actually commit anywhere. Dare I ask you Penn or Harvard haha?

Well, some money could persuade me (especially since I went to Penn undergrad and love Philly), but i doubt Penn will give me any. Right now, it looks like it'll be Harvard. I'm still considering applying to Yale despite the extremely high unlikelihood of being admitted and that fact that New Haven is a complete sh*thole... plus it will be pretty much impossible for my fiance to work there. I just kind of want to know if I could've cut it lol.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:14 pm

law_monkey wrote:
123kl wrote:

I predict your decision won't change. I was 90% NYU till I visited. Their ASW sucks donkey balls.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:17 pm

123kl wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
123kl wrote:

Well, some money could persuade me (especially since I went to Penn undergrad and love Philly), but i doubt Penn will give me any. Right now, it looks like it'll be Harvard. I'm still considering applying to Yale despite the extremely high unlikelihood of being admitted and that fact that New Haven is a complete sh*thole... plus it will be pretty much impossible for my fiance to work there. I just kind of want to know if I could've cut it lol.

I can see what you're saying. That's how I feel about a couple of the schools I'm waiting on. I don't know if I would really fit into the culture, but I also want to see if I can get in. Huge congrats though, and I definitely respect the people who hesitate on Harvard and actually consider all the factors.

I predict your decision won't change. I was 90% NYU till I visited. Their ASW sucks donkey balls.

Haha that almost makes me sad. Based on your 'tar I take it that Penn's rocks then?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:28 pm

[/quote]Haha that almost makes me sad. Based on your 'tar I take it that Penn's rocks then?[/quote]

Yah, pretty much. I'm from a 2ndary market and its basically flung doors open for me. Also, my classmates are pretty much the brightest, most accomplished people I have ever met - and very nice as well. I would be happy to discuss my decision in more detail over PM. I agonized over it for like a month and researched the hell out of it. Talked to career services at both schools, V100 and boutique firm partners, you name it.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:32 pm

Veyron wrote:Lol, fun stuff. The thing they don't tell you is you have to go through the [u]living hell[/u] of 1L first!

I feel like this term is being thrown around too liberally around here. 1L is going to cake walk compared to many things many people go through.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Veyron wrote:Lol, fun stuff. The thing they don't tell you is you have to go through the [u]living hell[/u] of 1L first!

I feel like this term is being thrown around too liberally around here. 1L is going to cake walk compared to many things many people go through.

Drama is in my DNA. My mom even calls me "que dramatico." You should see what happens when I stub my toe. TBF though, CO' 2013 had a former Marine drop.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Have they already sent out Levy invites to people? On the admitted students site it says they'll start the first round of merit-based aid offers in 2-3 weeks, so does that mean that's when they'll send out the invites, or that's when they'll send out offers on invites? I was looking through last year's LSN data and saw people were getting those invites this time last year.

hjag

Postby hjag » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:39 pm

Hey all,

First off, congrats to you all for getting into Penn this cycle!

I just applied a week ago, having taken the Dec. LSAT, with an 170/3.76 in a science major.

Did anyone get in with comparable stats? Penn is one of my first choices, so I'm really hoping!

forward

Postby forward » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:51 pm

Checking in! :) In yesterday via Phonecall.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:13 pm

Just thought I'd share these two gems:

My Grandmother's (who lives 30 mins outside of Philly) email reaction to hearing I got into UPenn:

"That's great! If you need to stay with us that weekend, let me know. Does that mean you guys will move to PA? I'm assuming it's the PA campus. You're some sharp cookie to get into U of P!! I'm so happy for you. I'll share the news with everybody here."

o.o
and my mother's reaction on the phone:

me: I got into UPenn law!
mom: Honey that's GREAT! (turns to bf to tell him the news) Sarah got into Penn State!!

..oh UPenn, how little lay prestige you have.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”