IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 am

mcweanis wrote:in case anyone's wondering at least one toll scholarship has been awarded (not to me though :) )


Did you get a yes or no yet?

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby mcweanis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

r6_philly wrote:
mcweanis wrote:in case anyone's wondering at least one toll scholarship has been awarded (not to me though :) )


Did you get a yes or no yet?


nope havent heard squat

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby mcweanis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:
mcweanis wrote:in case anyone's wondering at least one toll scholarship has been awarded (not to me though :) )


Did you get a yes or no yet?


recipients of the toll so far are aredhello and jiggawhut. since there's a 48 hour deadline i assume if anyone refuses it the alternates will hear this week.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

dpk711 wrote:Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!


I really don't understand the scholarship process. This is so frustrating.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

bdubs wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!


I really don't understand the scholarship process. This is so frustrating.

I'm sorry bdubs, I know what happens in the Penn finaid office and how they determine scholarship offers can be a mystery.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Bdubs, try making an appointment to sit down with Mr. Henry. He's extremely helpful and an all-around great guy. I got an offer a week after chatting with him (I had a competing offer from DNCG however). At the very least he'll look at your app again.

User avatar
Older Chest
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:08 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby Older Chest » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

User avatar
dpk711
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Older Chest wrote:For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Kate was especially kind to me whenever I called the office via phone.

User avatar
wackyjack22
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Older Chest wrote:For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Kate was especially kind to me whenever I called the office via phone.



I completely agree! Mr. Henry asked me to call him this morning and just wanted to get a feel for where Penn was in my decision making progress. It looks like they are going to up their original offer a bit. Holding out for more money greatly tested my patience but in the long run was very well worth the effort.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:24 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:
Older Chest wrote:For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Kate was especially kind to me whenever I called the office via phone.



I completely agree! Mr. Henry asked me to call him this morning and just wanted to get a feel for where Penn was in my decision making progress. It looks like they are going to up their original offer a bit. Holding out for more money greatly tested my patience but in the long run was very well worth the effort.


OutCold wrote:Bdubs, try making an appointment to sit down with Mr. Henry. He's extremely helpful and an all-around great guy. I got an offer a week after chatting with him (I had a competing offer from DNCG however). At the very least he'll look at your app again.


Thanks guys, I am going to send in my Northwestern offer and see if I can get anything from Penn.

mr_filthy
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:38 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby mr_filthy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

mr_filthy wrote:Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.


I'd just tell them exactly what you typed and ask if they give a stipend to travel out there. I would imagine they would at least give you the $100-$200 subsidy that they gave for general visits/ASW. The worst thing that can happen is they say no, in which case I would recommend making the trip for the same reason you already gave. Congratulations on becoming a finalist, and good luck!

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 pm

So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.

User avatar
mcweanis
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby mcweanis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

mr_filthy wrote:Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.


whoa, they must really want you - im pretty sure all the other toll finalists were notified weeks ago and they said they were all done their interviews

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

pereira6 wrote:So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.


:lol:

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
pereira6 wrote:So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.


:lol:


You laugh, BUT IT IS 100% ENTIRELY TRUE. I would NEVER falsify my intentions in an effort to acquire more currency.

:) Is that the e-mail address? Or should I e-mail/call somebody else?

c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:14 pm

pereira6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
pereira6 wrote:So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.


:lol:


You laugh, BUT IT IS 100% ENTIRELY TRUE. I would NEVER falsify my intentions in an effort to acquire more currency.

:) Is that the e-mail address? Or should I e-mail/call somebody else?

Yes--that is the email address. Good luck!

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
pereira6 wrote:
You laugh, BUT IT IS 100% ENTIRELY TRUE. I would NEVER falsify my intentions in an effort to acquire more currency.

:) Is that the e-mail address? Or should I e-mail/call somebody else?

Yes--that is the email address. Good luck!


Thanks, I'm gonna need it. Seriously though, even an extra grand would give me a reason to buy a shiny new Cannondale to ride around Philly on. An extra $10 means I'm going out for ice cream after my T-Ball baseball game later.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I just called financial aid to find out whether they're giving out more merit aid (I was a late admit and haven't received an offer, but I did send them competing offers a couple weeks ago). He said first round is done and they're waiting to hear from everyone who was given awards, but they might be making more decisions next week.

I have to send a deposit to NU tomorrow so I was really hoping to get at least something this week. Sigh.

pereira6
Posts: 604
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm

src42 wrote:I just called financial aid to find out whether they're giving out more merit aid (I was a late admit and haven't received an offer, but I did send them competing offers a couple weeks ago). He said first round is done and they're waiting to hear from everyone who was given awards, but they might be making more decisions next week.

I have to send a deposit to NU tomorrow so I was really hoping to get at least something this week. Sigh.


Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

If not, double depositing isn't the worst thing ever, especially when we're talking about the chance at getting thousands of dollars.

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:39 pm

pereira6 wrote:Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

If not, double depositing isn't the worst thing ever, especially when we're talking about the chance at getting thousands of dollars.

Yeah, when I think about the debt I'll have, $750 is a drop in the bucket. But yeah, I'll see about the extension. Thanks!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Just remember the double deposit notification comes out from LSAC on or around 5/15 at which time you will be asked to make a final decision (hopefully you decide in the 2 weeks prior anyway)

User avatar
src42
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:26 am

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just remember the double deposit notification comes out from LSAC on or around 5/15 at which time you will be asked to make a final decision (hopefully you decide in the 2 weeks prior anyway)

If I still haven't decided in another month I'm gonna kill myself.

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby OutCold » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

src42 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

If not, double depositing isn't the worst thing ever, especially when we're talking about the chance at getting thousands of dollars.

Yeah, when I think about the debt I'll have, $750 is a drop in the bucket. But yeah, I'll see about the extension. Thanks!


I'm not sure if any other schools treat their deposits the same way, but Penn gives you half of your deposit back if you withdraw by 6/15. You might want to look into NU's policy.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], The_Pluviophile and 8 guests