IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:26 am

mcweanis wrote:in case anyone's wondering at least one toll scholarship has been awarded (not to me though :) )

Did you get a yes or no yet?

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 am

r6_philly wrote:
mcweanis wrote:in case anyone's wondering at least one toll scholarship has been awarded (not to me though :) )

nope havent heard squat

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:43 pm

r6_philly wrote:

recipients of the toll so far are aredhello and jiggawhut. since there's a 48 hour deadline i assume if anyone refuses it the alternates will hear this week.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:44 pm

dpk711 wrote:Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!

I really don't understand the scholarship process. This is so frustrating.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:46 pm

bdubs wrote:
dpk711 wrote:Just got $52,240 of grants via email. I think this seals the deal for me! See you guys at Penn this fall!!!

I really don't understand the scholarship process. This is so frustrating.

I'm sorry bdubs, I know what happens in the Penn finaid office and how they determine scholarship offers can be a mystery.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:21 pm

Bdubs, try making an appointment to sit down with Mr. Henry. He's extremely helpful and an all-around great guy. I got an offer a week after chatting with him (I had a competing offer from DNCG however). At the very least he'll look at your app again.

Older Chest

Postby Older Chest » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:25 pm

For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

dpk711

Postby dpk711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Older Chest wrote:For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Kate was especially kind to me whenever I called the office via phone.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:19 pm

dpk711 wrote:
Older Chest wrote:For anyone who feels as if financial aid at Penn is a mystery, I encourage you to call and speak with a representative from admissions or financial aid. From my experience (and what I have absorbed on TLS), everyone at Penn is very friendly and honest about the whole process.

I'm going to have to agree with this. Kate was especially kind to me whenever I called the office via phone.

I completely agree! Mr. Henry asked me to call him this morning and just wanted to get a feel for where Penn was in my decision making progress. It looks like they are going to up their original offer a bit. Holding out for more money greatly tested my patience but in the long run was very well worth the effort.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:24 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:
dpk711 wrote:

I completely agree! Mr. Henry asked me to call him this morning and just wanted to get a feel for where Penn was in my decision making progress. It looks like they are going to up their original offer a bit. Holding out for more money greatly tested my patience but in the long run was very well worth the effort.

OutCold wrote:Bdubs, try making an appointment to sit down with Mr. Henry. He's extremely helpful and an all-around great guy. I got an offer a week after chatting with him (I had a competing offer from DNCG however). At the very least he'll look at your app again.

Thanks guys, I am going to send in my Northwestern offer and see if I can get anything from Penn.

mr_filthy

Postby mr_filthy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:57 pm

mr_filthy wrote:Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.

I'd just tell them exactly what you typed and ask if they give a stipend to travel out there. I would imagine they would at least give you the $100-$200 subsidy that they gave for general visits/ASW. The worst thing that can happen is they say no, in which case I would recommend making the trip for the same reason you already gave. Congratulations on becoming a finalist, and good luck!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:05 pm

So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

mr_filthy wrote:Question re: Toll - were other finalists offered airfare/travel stipends? I only found out this afternoon that I'm a finalist, have a quick turn-around for everything, and would prefer to interview/visit in person (especially since I've never been on campus and they apparently ask invitees for a 48-hour response), but they also offered the possibility of a Skype interview and I don't want to ask for something that no one else was offered. I have a full time job, and I'm about an 8 hour drive from campus, but I could do it in a pinch.

whoa, they must really want you - im pretty sure all the other toll finalists were notified weeks ago and they said they were all done their interviews

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:08 pm

pereira6 wrote:So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

I am going to try and negotiate a higher scholarship with my 0 competing offers :P

I mean, I do have this burning desire to work in a small firm in the midwest focusing on tractor and farming patents, and Illinois' full ride is PERFECT for me.

:lol:

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:13 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
pereira6 wrote:So to negotiate scholarships initially, we e-mail scholarships@law.upenn.edu?

You laugh, BUT IT IS 100% ENTIRELY TRUE. I would NEVER falsify my intentions in an effort to acquire more currency.

:) Is that the e-mail address? Or should I e-mail/call somebody else?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:14 pm

pereira6 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

You laugh, BUT IT IS 100% ENTIRELY TRUE. I would NEVER falsify my intentions in an effort to acquire more currency.

Yes--that is the email address. Good luck!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:18 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

Yes--that is the email address. Good luck!

Thanks, I'm gonna need it. Seriously though, even an extra grand would give me a reason to buy a shiny new Cannondale to ride around Philly on. An extra $10 means I'm going out for ice cream after my T-Ball baseball game later.

src42

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I just called financial aid to find out whether they're giving out more merit aid (I was a late admit and haven't received an offer, but I did send them competing offers a couple weeks ago). He said first round is done and they're waiting to hear from everyone who was given awards, but they might be making more decisions next week.

I have to send a deposit to NU tomorrow so I was really hoping to get at least something this week. Sigh.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:22 pm

src42 wrote:I just called financial aid to find out whether they're giving out more merit aid (I was a late admit and haven't received an offer, but I did send them competing offers a couple weeks ago). He said first round is done and they're waiting to hear from everyone who was given awards, but they might be making more decisions next week.

I have to send a deposit to NU tomorrow so I was really hoping to get at least something this week. Sigh.

Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

If not, double depositing isn't the worst thing ever, especially when we're talking about the chance at getting thousands of dollars.

src42

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:39 pm

pereira6 wrote:Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

If not, double depositing isn't the worst thing ever, especially when we're talking about the chance at getting thousands of dollars.

Yeah, when I think about the debt I'll have, $750 is a drop in the bucket. But yeah, I'll see about the extension. Thanks!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:43 pm

Just remember the double deposit notification comes out from LSAC on or around 5/15 at which time you will be asked to make a final decision (hopefully you decide in the 2 weeks prior anyway)

src42

Postby src42 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:45 pm

r6_philly wrote:Just remember the double deposit notification comes out from LSAC on or around 5/15 at which time you will be asked to make a final decision (hopefully you decide in the 2 weeks prior anyway)

If I still haven't decided in another month I'm gonna kill myself.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:47 pm

src42 wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Ask for a deposit deadline extension from NU. I've had some luck getting extensions for a few schools, although they're not T14s. Give them a phone call!

Yeah, when I think about the debt I'll have, $750 is a drop in the bucket. But yeah, I'll see about the extension. Thanks!

I'm not sure if any other schools treat their deposits the same way, but Penn gives you half of your deposit back if you withdraw by 6/15. You might want to look into NU's policy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”