IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
slax

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:43 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:53 pm

slax wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:Damn. That's legit. Feel like sharing?

Meh.

1. Have connections with employer
2. Get job with solid hours
3. Work like hell for all of undergrad
4. Profit

No missing link in this chain.

Impressive. How do you have time to actually...you know, go to school? Also, a small note regarding your financial analysis- any cash you have to pay for COL would be the same no matter where you end up, thus it's not incremental to decision making meaning Penn vs. UVA is really more like 150k (+ COL differences). But seriously, with that equation between peer schools I don't think anyone wouldn't take UVA. Duh.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

The only thing I have to say is that I wish I had a peer school offer to consider.

I friggin' loved Penn; however, I said it then and I'll say it now: I could have just been impressed due to it being my first visit, it being 2 days long, and being around a perhaps different selection of current students/admits whom I thought were really quality people.

I'm excited to kick some ass in Philly if I choose there over Vandy, but I wish I had a Michigan, an NYU, or etc. to look at like the vast majority of you.

Man, my cycle was weird.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:59 pm

pereira6 wrote:The only thing I have to say is that I wish I had a peer school offer to consider.

I friggin' loved Penn; however, I said it then and I'll say it now: I could have just been impressed due to it being my first visit, it being 2 days long, and being around a perhaps different selection of current students/admits whom I thought were really quality people.

I'm excited to kick some ass in Philly if I choose there over Vandy, but I wish I had a Michigan, an NYU, or etc. to look at like the vast majority of you.

Man, my cycle was weird.

+1. Applying late led to an unpredictable cycle. I honestly wish I had the options that you all seem to have. I love Penn, and I really hope that they make it financially feasible to attend.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

You mad bro?

Go to response when you're wrong. Well played?

Go to response when you mad. You mad?

Upton Sinclair

Postby Upton Sinclair » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:12 pm

Last edited by Upton Sinclair on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guy

Postby Guy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Slax,

Im really sorry you had such a bad time at Penn. I thought it was really fun. No one knew me before I met them (how would that work? Were they supposed to have our pictures or something?) but they were all really nice.

As for their "making us beg to attend" attitude, I really didnt get that. The professor at my table went through all the peer schools really candidly and told us which he thought were better, better at what, worse at what etc.. He actually told us all that if we got into Yale we should go. The talks all seemed very geared at why Penn is the best school to go to so that you can get a job in this new market and how you really should come etc.. Instead of gimicks they tried logical reasoning to convince us to attend. Sly ones they are....

I hate to say it, because I really dont know you, but I do think that maybe being nearby Penn has left you with some potentially negative feelings toward in deep down. Maybe some obnoxious undergrads pushed your buttons once or twice. I only say this because people outside of Philly would NOT immediately think of Penn people as having some all-mighty vibe to them, because no one really thinks of Penn as a super-elite school. Most think its Penn state or Drexel's sister school.

Just guessing.

khodorko

Postby khodorko » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm

I have to agree with Guy on that one. An admissions person was seated at my table and genuinely told us that Penn isn't the best choice for everybody... she spoke to us all individually asking about our other options and what we wanted to end up pursuing. At the end of lunch, she even told us that based on the schools we were choosing between, there really wasn't any 'wrong' choice at this level.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

forward

Postby forward » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:31 pm

--ImageRemoved--

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

forward wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Are you stalking me? :mrgreen:

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Good lord.

slax...

Just. Nevermind.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:33 pm

slax wrote: If you haven't worked and went to UG at the same time, I feel pain for you come 1L.

If that's the case, I feel pain even for you.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 pm

So I guess that's over? You remind me of my parent's puppy. When I tell him I'm done playing , he keeps bringing me his toy for the next five minutes anyway. "Jake," I say, "Go lay down and be a good boy." So, to you Veyron, I say, "Go lay down and be a good boy."

Oh she soooooooo mad.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:37 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:51 pm

slax wrote:Hey, if someone wants a reply, I'll gladly give it. Please don't be upset that I'm answering questions/comments directed at me. I'll echo dulc's sentiments from a bit earlier: if you ask me a question, and I give you an answer, there's no reason to be mad at me.

Again, who is getting mad at you? There might have been some implication that your below statement was "pretentious", but I'm not sure anyone cares enough about randos on the interwebz to get upset. Except veyron and who knows what his deal is.

slax wrote:If you haven't worked and went to UG at the same time, I feel pain for you come 1L.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm

Again, who is getting mad at you? There might have been some implication that your below statement was "pretentious", but I'm not sure anyone cares enough about randos on the interwebz to get upset. Except veyron and who knows what his deal is.

I not mad.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:00 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:03 pm

slax wrote:
Veyron wrote:

I not mad.

Oh well that clears things up for me and swampthing. Alert everyone: No one is mad.

No madness on my end, either. FWIW, I'd take a free ride at MV over sticker at P in a heartbeat. The caveat is that I'd never be in such a position with my numbers. :lol:

Again, I was impressed with most of the Penn people I met (ASW attendees and admitted students) but you're entitled to think otherwise.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

This thread is now a circle jerk.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm

"Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans." so this means no need based and no merit??!

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 pm

hoping wrote:"Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans." so this means no need based and no merit??!

Merit came after for some people.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:19 pm

pereira6 wrote:
hoping wrote:"Your financial aid application has been received and reviewed by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid. Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans." so this means no need based and no merit??!

Merit came after for some people.

thanks--this is kind of a joke--not sure whose needaccess they were looking at!

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

slax wrote:This thread is now a circle jerk.

:?:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”