IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swampthang

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

law_monkey wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:So...it's been a really roller coaster day.

Anthony Henry just called back saying they found a 39k deans scholly for me and asked if I'd consider it even though I got a larger scholly from Mich! I told him definitely and now he just has to double check with the committee!!

So excited!!! :D

OMG phew!!! That is sooooo much better! They should really get more organized though... :roll:

Absolutely. How do you 'find' a scholly? Was it misplaced somewhere? Kidding and congratulations aside, they're still only offering you half of what Michigan is? That's pretty bold.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:51 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:01 pm

swampthang wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
bmore wrote:Waiting to hear if they will throw me a few bucks. If so I am in.

Yeah same. But when I spoke with the Financial Aid office and Dean Post, they hinted at a ballpark dollar figure to try to close the gap with my Mich scholly. If it comes through, I'm totally there :)

If it doesnt.... :(

Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's finaid office act like their peer group is CCN?

Because, lets face it, you get into MVP you're going to P most of the time.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:02 pm

Veyron wrote:
swampthang wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
bmore wrote:Waiting to hear if they will throw me a few bucks. If so I am in.

Yeah same. But when I spoke with the Financial Aid office and Dean Post, they hinted at a ballpark dollar figure to try to close the gap with my Mich scholly. If it comes through, I'm totally there :)

If it doesnt.... :(

Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's finaid office act like their peer group is CCN?

Because, lets face it, you get into MVP you're going to P most of the time.

You scared slax away from Penn, didn't you! :lol:

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:03 pm

Veyron wrote:Because, lets face it, you get into MVP you're going to P most of the time.

With equal money yes, with MV offering lots more $ I think that many people are opting for M or V.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:05 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4102011 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:07 pm

I think we should just all choose a school that's a good fit and not a completely stupid financial decision. For some people, that's Penn. For others, it's not. <3

forward

Postby forward » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

dulcatis wrote:I think we should just all choose a school that's a good fit and not a completely stupid financial decision. For some people, that's Penn. For others, it's not. <3

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:08 pm

forward wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I think we should just all choose a school that's a good fit and not a completely stupid financial decision. For some people, that's Penn. For others, it's not. <3

Agreed. I just find the discourse amusing.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:15 pm

slax wrote:
bdubs wrote:
Veyron wrote:Because, lets face it, you get into MVP you're going to P most of the time.

With equal money yes, with MV offering lots more $ I think that many people are opting for M or V.

+1 Yes, I'm clearly going to take on $200k in debt to attend Penn rather than go to M or V for $0. Veyron has too much free time to troll forums of no relevance to his current life. Aren't you at least a 2L, if not 3L? Is this what Penn students do?

Most people would take M or V for 0 over 200k at CLS too. What is your point?

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:15 pm

I think I said that oh about 3 pages ago, and then people got the weepies that Penn isn't perfect for everyone.

Postby 4102011 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

slax wrote:

I think I said that oh about 3 pages ago, and then people got the weepies that Penn isn't perfect for everyone.

Yeah...I dunno. FWIW, I'd take UVA over Penn with equal money! So...EVERYONE IS A SPECIAL SNOWFLAKE.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:17 pm

slax wrote:

I don't think anybody got the weepies; I was merely curious why you had such a different experience than I did as I'm sure were many other posters. My visit was good, I would like more money or I'm probably going to Chicago mayne.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:18 pm

;)
Last edited by OrdinarilySkilled on Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 4102011 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm

OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
slax wrote:
+1 Yes, I'm clearly going to take on $200k in debt to attend Penn rather than go to M or V for $0. Veyron has too much free time to troll forums of no relevance to his current life. Aren't you at least a 2L, if not 3L? Is this what Penn students do?

While I am not questioning the validity of your views of Penn, you should at least preface your thoughts (especially those on the entire school and it's student body) with the disclaimer that your opinions are somewhat skewed by the fact that you attended a rival school. I've never known other Philly students to get along with Penn kids.

This thread's getting weird. I'm out.

ETA: If you guys want a more detailed reason of why I personally, who has no Philly ties or prejudices whatsoever, didn't really like the ASW as much as UVA's, you can PM me. But I think you guys are being too hard on Slax. You asked for her opinion and she gave it to you and now you're being really weird about it.

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

dulcatis wrote:
OrdinarilySkilled wrote:
slax wrote:

While I am not questioning the validity of your views of Penn, you should at least preface your thoughts (especially those on the entire school and it's student body) with the disclaimer that your opinions are somewhat skewed by the fact that you attended a rival school. I've never known other Philly students to get along with Penn kids.

This thread's getting weird. I'm out.

ETA: If you guys want a more detailed reason of why I personally, who has no Philly ties or prejudices whatsoever, didn't really like the ASW as much as UVA's, you can PM me. But I think you guys are being too hard on Slax. You asked for her opinion and she gave it to you and now you're being really weird about it.

I don't think anyone's being hard on her...?? I'm all for people making choices that suit them, and certainly a full ride at a T10 (even one that was eliminated early from my own bracket) is a pretty great option. slax expressed a pretty strong opinion regarding her view that people at Penn were "pretentious" and thought of themselves as on par with HYS, as well as disappointment that they didn't fawn over her like UVA did. I had a positive experience, so as I'm continuing to evaluate schools, I would like to make sure I wasn't just in a happy bubble of beer-swilling coolness at ASW.

I don't think anything in this is unduly harsh or uncalled for, nor do I have a dog in the fight (yet). But if someone's going to state their opinions, they should be able to substantiate them just as someone should be allowed to ask for this substantiation. And if you can't support a claim, then don't make it.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

-

Curry

Postby Curry » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:30 pm

Heard this thread was getting nasty. Ran here. Was not disappointed...

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Well then my bad. I happen to agree with you I just haven't said anything because I have always disliked Penn students for admittedly biased reasons and overcoming that bias has been part of trying to make my decision. It was dumb to assume/accuse. Carry on...

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:34 pm

-

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm

slax wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Don't confuse full tuition with $0 in loans. At most schools, 80K or more is typically outside tuition. I got 120k from NU, and I would still have another 120k to cover.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Damn. That's legit. Feel like sharing?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:42 pm

[/quote]

With equal money yes, with MV offering lots more $ I think that many people are opting for M or V.[/quote]

+1 Yes, I'm clearly going to take on $200k in debt to attend Penn rather than go to M or V for $0. Veyron has too much free time to troll forums of no relevance to his current life. Aren't you at least a 2L, if not 3L? Is this what Penn students do?[/quote]

Most people would take M or V for 0 over 200k at CLS too. What is your point?[/quote]

That you were wrong that each person would choose P most of the time given the choice between MVP. Did you not see that? RC fail? Did you mean to say in total all applicants taken together would choose P most of the time? Because this is in fact not what you said.[/quote]

You mad bro?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”