IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
swampthang

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:55 am

absolutazn87 wrote:
bmore wrote:Waiting to hear if they will throw me a few bucks. If so I am in.

Yeah same. But when I spoke with the Financial Aid office and Dean Post, they hinted at a ballpark dollar figure to try to close the gap with my Mich scholly. If it comes through, I'm totally there :)

If it doesnt.... :(

Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's finaid office act like their peer group is CCN?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 am

swampthang wrote:Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's finaid office act like their peer group is CCN?

I don't think schools judge themselves by US News rankings. It is an important piece of the puzzle when it comes to admissions, but top schools couldn't care less about the rankings when they are considering what the peers are.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:29 am

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am

slax wrote:
Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's entire school act like their peer group is HYS?

Ftfy

FTFY :lol:

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:11 am

slax wrote:
swampthang wrote:Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's entire school act like their peer group is HYS?

Ftfy

:roll:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:12 am

HeavenWood wrote:

TBF, the only school that I only hear comparisons about in class is Harvard.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:13 am

A school could simply like an applicant more than what we consider "peer" schools.

I got waitlisted at every "peer" school and Penn gave me a small merit scholly. I think they legitimately just wanted me more than the other schools.

absolutazn87 wrote:
bmore wrote:Waiting to hear if they will throw me a few bucks. If so I am in.

Yeah same. But when I spoke with the Financial Aid office and Dean Post, they hinted at a ballpark dollar figure to try to close the gap with my Mich scholly. If it comes through, I'm totally there :)

If it doesnt.... :(

Why don't you guys tell them that? "If you give me X dollars I will 100% attend". Is that too direct? I would try it.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:17 am

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

TBF, the only school that I only hear comparisons about in class is Harvard.

slax has the right to her opinion. I have the right to respond with emoticons. :lol:

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 am

HeavenWood wrote:
slax wrote:
swampthang wrote:Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's entire school act like their peer group is HYS?

Ftfy

Yeah, I'm confused- I did not get this impression at all. I thought the people at Penn- students and admits alike- were very down-to-earth and friendly. The only possible complaint I could muster is that they were not a very geographically diverse group (almost all Northeast and California, but I suppose that's not too surprising).

In contrast, I had less pleasant (more pretentious) experiences at Columbia, NYU (a few, though majority were positive), and UVA. So I'm curious, slax, since you said you wouldn't say any more on the topic but now have, what did I miss that was so bad at ASW? I'm always open to whatever additional information I can get my hands on.
Last edited by swampthang on Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:20 am

HeavenWood wrote:slax has the right to her opinion. I have the right to respond with emoticons. :lol:

It's people like you and me that gives Penn bad names!!! :lol:

niederbomb

Postby niederbomb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:56 am

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:Close the gap? Why wouldn't they, you know, match the offer from a school ranked the same as them? Why does Penn's finaid office act like their peer group is CCN?

I don't think schools judge themselves by US News rankings. It is an important piece of the puzzle when it comes to admissions, but top schools couldn't care less about the rankings when they are considering what the peers are.

CC are undoubtedly better than Penn. But I'm not so convinced about NYU. If NYU didn't consider Penn a peer in scholarship negotiations, I'd consider that pretentious.

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:11 pm

i think nyu does consider penn schollys, but i still think nyu is considered a more prestigious school, at least/especially for pi. then again i might just be convincing myself cuz im looking at a 90k scholly difference between the two!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 pm

I just wanted to sadly announce that I'm most likely going to Mich this fall.

Just talked to the financial aid office and they decided not only not to match my Mich scholly, but to offer me ZERO $$ altogether.

:(

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:18 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:I just wanted to sadly announce that I'm most likely going to Mich this fall.

Just talked to the financial aid office and they decided not only not to match my Mich scholly, but to offer me ZERO $$ altogether.

Seriously!? They told me they were going to come up a bit and beat my Mich scholly. I'm still stunned that I got money from them seeing as how they have given zero to so many strong applicants. A2 is a pretty nice place to be, though, so not like you are losing out in life or anything.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:21 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:I just wanted to sadly announce that I'm most likely going to Mich this fall.

Sorry to hear that, but it's not too surprising. Only 42% of Penn students get scholarships/grants, whereas 60% get them at Michigan.

swl56

Postby swl56 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:24 pm

NooOOooooOoo :(

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:41 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:

Seriously!? They told me they were going to come up a bit and beat my Mich scholly. I'm still stunned that I got money from them seeing as how they have given zero to so many strong applicants. A2 is a pretty nice place to be, though, so not like you are losing out in life or anything.

If you two don't mind me asking, how did you get in contact with them about matching the offers? I sent in a competing offer today to the scholarships@law.Penn.edu address, but I would really like to have a more active dialogue than me simply sending the offer. Any advice on who to contact?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:56 pm

I'm sorry, azn. :(

swampthang

Postby swampthang » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:19 pm

That's both shocking and disheartening. Still, if you're looking to end up in the Midwest, half-tuition at UMich is a pretty good deal!

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Kwax wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:

If you two don't mind me asking, how did you get in contact with them about matching the offers? I sent in a competing offer today to the scholarships@law.Penn.edu address, but I would really like to have a more active dialogue than me simply sending the offer. Any advice on who to contact?

When I went to ASW I handed Anthony Henry my Michigan and Duke offers during his open office hours. He is a really swell guy and told me that the scholarship committee would be reconvening in the next few weeks and I should hear by April 11. If you emailed him your offers you should find out in the next few weeks as well. This next part is based on anecdotal evidence and some personal speculation but if you didn't get any merit money from Penn the first time around, it seems like you might be out of luck. They seem to be willing to go up if they gave you something at first but if they excluded you to begin with it seems like they stick with that. Again, this is just based on a few people I happen to have talked to so don't take it as gospel. I just want to be able to sign the form already. It's weird, but hopefully going to help my financial situation just a bit, to have an apartment in Philly secured and not have sent in the form that says I'm actually going to Penn.

slax

Postby slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:30 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:36 pm

When I went to ASW I handed Anthony Henry my Michigan and Duke offers during his open office hours. He is a really swell guy and told me that the scholarship committee would be reconvening in the next few weeks and I should hear by April 11. If you emailed him your offers you should find out in the next few weeks as well. This next part is based on anecdotal evidence and some personal speculation but if you didn't get any merit money from Penn the first time around, it seems like you might be out of luck. They seem to be willing to go up if they gave you something at first but if they excluded you to begin with it seems like they stick with that. Again, this is just based on a few people I happen to have talked to so don't take it as gospel. I just want to be able to sign the form already. It's weird, but hopefully going to help my financial situation just a bit, to have an apartment in Philly secured and not have sent in the form that says I'm actually going to Penn.

Thanks! That was really helpful, although I'm crossing my fingers that the initial offer part doesn't hold true in all cases. Best of luck in having your offer increased!

absolutazn87

Postby absolutazn87 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

So...it's been a really roller coaster day.

Anthony Henry just called back saying they found a 39k deans scholly for me and asked if I'd consider it even though I got a larger scholly from Mich! I told him definitely and now he just has to double check with the committee!!

So excited!!! :D

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:41 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:So...it's been a really roller coaster day.

Anthony Henry just called back saying they found a 39k deans scholly for me and asked if I'd consider it even though I got a larger scholly from Mich! I told him definitely and now he just has to double check with the committee!!

YAY!!!

Join me on the dark side, azn. :twisted:

We're the Harvard of Philadelphia, ya know. :P

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:So...it's been a really roller coaster day.

OMG phew!!! That is sooooo much better! They should really get more organized though... :roll:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”