IN AT UPENN

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Re: IN AT UPENN

Postby r6_philly » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:36 pm

degibogen214 wrote:Hey guys,

I was admitted in January- and still haven't received any email regarding merit scholarship money. Is this unusual ?

I don't think they are done evaluating yet.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Scholly emails are going out. I just got a levy alternate. That means I'll be withdrawing this week. If I'm going to pay for school, I'm going to Harvard, not Penn. Sorry Penn. Good luck to everyone still waiting or negotiating.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:49 pm

slax wrote:Scholly emails are going out. I just got a levy alternate. That means I'll be withdrawing this week. If I'm going to pay for school, I'm going to Harvard, not Penn. Sorry Penn. Good luck to everyone still waiting or negotiating.

Sorry :( But you want to go to Harvard anyway!

I'd say good luck but ... :P you probably don't need it :)

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:53 pm

slax wrote:Scholly emails are going out. I just got a levy alternate. That means I'll be withdrawing this week. If I'm going to pay for school, I'm going to Harvard, not Penn. Sorry Penn. Good luck to everyone still waiting or negotiating.

but if you're a levy alternate.. doesn't that mean you could get a levy still? im sure plenty of people will be choosing harvard/other schools over the levy, opening up spots.

i'm not sure what im going to do - after comparing penn's lrap with nyu's, penn isn't looking so hot even after a big scholarship..

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Penn just wasn't for me based on the asw. I have a full ride at UVA which has a lower col besides. It's like brackets here. UVA just beat Penn in the final four with money and asw, and now it's Harvard and UVA for the championship.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 pm

slax wrote:Penn just wasn't for me based on the asw. I have a full ride at UVA which has a lower col besides. It's like brackets here. UVA just beat Penn in the final four with money and asw, and now it's Harvard and UVA for the championship.

So credited. I have brackets, too :)

And UVA beat Penn in mine, too...

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:03 pm

So you mean to say more money back in the pot? :D

Postby 4102011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I guess. Not withdrawing until next week, though. Want to have all my visits over before I make a completely final decision...

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:05 pm

dulcatis wrote:
slax wrote:Penn just wasn't for me based on the asw. I have a full ride at UVA which has a lower col besides. It's like brackets here. UVA just beat Penn in the final four with money and asw, and now it's Harvard and UVA for the championship.

Heard that from paulina. I didn't realize that I didn't like Penn until I visited uva.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:11 pm

I'd love to hear your reasons. Shame you guys didn't let on at ASW.

Postby 4102011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

slax wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Heard that from paulina. I didn't realize that I didn't like Penn until I visited uva.

Me too! I had no idea I didn't like Penn until I went to UVA and was like...huh, so this is what it's like to really like an ASW??

R6, I'm not entirely sure what it was...just the overall vibe I liked better, which is surprising because I thought Penn would be a better fit for me. But I guess not!

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:21 pm

dulcatis wrote:
slax wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Me too! I had no idea I didn't like Penn until I went to UVA and was like...huh, so this is what it's like to really like an ASW??

R6, I'm not entirely sure what it was...just the overall vibe I liked better, which is surprising because I thought Penn would be a better fit for me. But I guess not!

+1 to put it bluntly, the students at Penn were annoying. I'd rather spend 3 years with the people at uva
Last edited by slax on Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:23 pm

dulcatis wrote:
slax wrote:
dulcatis wrote:

Joining this party. After going to NYU's ASW there was no way I would even think of attending somewhere else. I'll be withdrawing from everywhere except CLS this afternoon, and I'm only holding onto that one since they just let me in so I don't want to turn around right away and say no. Plus I'm hoping to be on CLS' list long enough to get the NYC guidebook since I'll be in New York anyway haha.

With that being said, Penn is still an AMAZING school and I wish everyone in here the best of luck! Super sad I won't be classmates with some of you!!! :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:24 pm

Really? What is it about the students? I didn't really interact with a lot of them, and the ones I know are fine to me. Well that doesn't say much since a lot of people find me annoying :lol:

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Clearly future generations need to know not to commit sight unseen. By god people, visit before ed'ing or depositing

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

law_monkey wrote:Joining this party. After going to NYU's ASW there was no way I would even think of attending somewhere else. I'll be withdrawing from everywhere except CLS this afternoon, and I'm only holding onto that one since they just let me in so I don't want to turn around right away and say no.

Congrats! These developments may help me out, so everyone will end up happy!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:26 pm

slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Really? What is it about the students? I didn't really interact with a lot of them, and the ones I know are fine to me. Well that doesn't say much since a lot of people find me annoying :lol:

One word: pretentious.

Not going to delve deeper. To each his own

Was that directed at me too ;)

Postby 4102011 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:28 pm

slax wrote:Clearly future generations need to know not to commit sight unseen. By god people, visit before ed'ing or depositing

Seriously! Visiting is SO IMPORTANT. Which is why I'm not deciding anything until after all of my visits...because seriously, an ASW can tell you SO MUCH that you can never find out through TLS alone.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:30 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:31 pm

I enjoyed my Penn visit but didn't go ASW. I didn't love NYU. But I went to first ASW. Well to each his own. Free up some $ for me soon please.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:32 pm

dulcatis wrote:
slax wrote:Clearly future generations need to know not to commit sight unseen. By god people, visit before ed'ing or depositing

Seriously! Visiting is SO IMPORTANT. Which is why I'm not deciding anything until after all of my visits...because seriously, an ASW can tell you SO MUCH that you can never find out through TLS alone.

What's left for you? I'm hitting Harvard in two weeks so I don't have to wonder what if?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:33 pm

slax wrote:
Honestly yes I hate you. No just kidding! You and the other tls people I met in real life were actually quite normal and likable!

Haha it's ok if you do, can turn that into motivation!

My best wishes for the future! Hopefully we will cross paths again.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Am I going to be alone if I go to Penn? :( I thought we really bonded guys!

I don't have these fancy NYU and UVA acceptances y'all have haha...just a nice scholly from Vandy which I will test out this weekend.

I thought the students were awesome, to be honest. It could also have been the particular students I was around for the weekend, but I found everyone to be really engaging and so enthusiastic about their decision. Nobody second guessed their choice. My host was a quality guy.

I hope that doesn't make ME the pretentious one :| :)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:35 pm

pereira6 wrote:Am I going to be alone if I go to Penn? :( I thought we really bonded guys!

I don't have these fancy NYU and UVA acceptances y'all have haha...just a nice scholly from Vandy which I will test out this weekend.

I thought the students were awesome, to be honest. It could also have been the particular students I was around for the weekend, but I found everyone to be really engaging and so enthusiastic about their decision. Nobody second guessed their choice. My host was a quality guy.

I hope that doesn't make ME the pretentious one :| :)

Well you can always count on the current Penn guy :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”