IN AT UPENN Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
helloscriptkitti

New

Re: IN AT UPENN

Post by helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:17 am

pereira6 wrote:Well then, I think the consensus is that all us 1/7ers have not been contacted yet. This is good news! It means we didn't miss the magical money fairy from Philadelphia (I think it would look a lot like the Phillie Phanatic).

I would like to know when exactly the money recipients were accepted though.
Not to kill your theory, but I was accepted on 1/21 and got scholly info last week. Most of it was need-based. Maybe they are starting need-based people first?

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 am

helloscriptkitti wrote:
pereira6 wrote:Well then, I think the consensus is that all us 1/7ers have not been contacted yet. This is good news! It means we didn't miss the magical money fairy from Philadelphia (I think it would look a lot like the Phillie Phanatic).

Not to kill your theory, but I was accepted on 1/21 and got scholly info last week. Most of it was need-based. Maybe they are starting need-based people first?
Hmm. Not saying it is exclusively like this, but maybe just the general pattern. Was it a non-named award?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:21 am

helloscriptkitti wrote:

Is your last name early or later in the alphabet? They also indicated it was alphabetical to some degree as well. Did you receive a named-scholly or just some general merit? Perhaps they did merit-only first (I anticipate only getting need-based considering my numbers warranted waitlists from everywhere else).

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:22 am

tipler4213 wrote:I am counting on 1/07ers hearing today!
Let's hope so. Happy Birthday. I'm a 1/14er and my birthday is tomorrow. Early present for me, please!

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 am

tipler4213 wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:

Hmm. Not saying it is exclusively like this, but maybe just the general pattern. Was it a non-named award?
Non-named. Unfortunately, I'm not good enough for named awards :cry: . Just trying to add to the speculation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 am

pereira6 wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:

Is your last name early or later in the alphabet? They also indicated it was alphabetical to some degree as well. Did you receive a named-scholly or just some general merit? Perhaps they did merit-only first (I anticipate only getting need-based considering my numbers warranted waitlists from everywhere else).
Yeah I'm DEFINITELY more qualified for need aid than merit aid at Penn. If they don't give me any need aid whatsoever then they're off the list for being insanely cruel lol.

helloscriptkitti

New

Post by helloscriptkitti » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 am

pereira6 wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote:

Haha, I guess we were typing at the same time. I was thinking maybe they were doing need-based first. Mine was mostly need with a tiny amount of merit for good measure. My name is pretty early in the alphabet, so they could be going in order.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:31 am

law_monkey wrote:
pereira6 wrote:(I anticipate only getting need-based considering my numbers warranted waitlists from everywhere else).
Yeah I'm DEFINITELY more qualified for need aid than merit aid at Penn. If they don't give me any need aid whatsoever then they're off the list for being insanely cruel lol.
Penn, like the Ivies in general (across all levels of education), is expected to be more generous with need-based than other schools. That's just based on the decent, however certainly not complete, information I have.

I'm definitely with you though...I know it's naive to suggest that we deserve it, but seriously, 200k is just way too much money for those who don't have a pot to piss in, as my dad likes to say.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:33 am

helloscriptkitti wrote: Haha, I guess we were typing at the same time. I was thinking maybe they were doing need-based first. Mine was mostly need with a tiny amount of merit for good measure. My name is pretty early in the alphabet, so they could be going in order.
You certainly don't have to reveal numbers, but was your need-based aid a significant amount that perhaps changes the game on your choice of schools?

Just trying to get some sort of feel for if they're throwing out serious cash or not haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:36 am

pereira6 wrote:
helloscriptkitti wrote: Haha, I guess we were typing at the same time. I was thinking maybe they were doing need-based first. Mine was mostly need with a tiny amount of merit for good measure. My name is pretty early in the alphabet, so they could be going in order.
You certainly don't have to reveal numbers, but was your need-based aid a significant amount that perhaps changes the game on your choice of schools?

Just trying to get some sort of feel for if they're throwing out serious cash or not haha
I saw someone post in another thread that his Penn need grant was very generous compared to his other offers, and he's in at multiple T14s.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:28 pm

JUST GOT THE E-MAIL

It's a success :)

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Got the email. Was accepted on 01/10. Last name starts w/ J/K/L.
Wtf..I think they gave me nothing.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:31 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Got the email. Was accepted on 01/10. Last name starts w/ J/K/L.
Me too. Penn just went from #1 to possibly not on my radar.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Does anyone's award letter or worksheet show merit awards? PM if you like.

TLSNYC

Silver

Post by TLSNYC » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:Does anyone's award letter or worksheet show merit awards? PM if you like.
On my decision letter there is not even a word dedicated to merit. The closest they get to mentioning need-based is this beautiful line: "Unfortunately, you do not qualify for need-based financial assistance (grant) from the Law School. Our review indicates that your financial need can be met through a combination of your personal resources and federal/private student loans."

I'm not missing anything right...I did just get offered literally nothing?

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:35 pm

r6_philly wrote:Does anyone's award letter or worksheet show merit awards? PM if you like.
I received 12k over 3 years in merit money.

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Mine doesn't mention it really. Is this seperate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Wow, I got the email too and am now too terrified to open it.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Got the email. Was accepted on 01/10. Last name starts w/ J/K/L.
I was also 1/10 but haven't received an e-mail yet.

Would like to know if I should withdraw or not.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Ya mine mentions nothing about merit $$$. Above both medians FWIW.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:39 pm

I think we will be beating down the door of the financial aid's office in 4 days. lol

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:40 pm

I don't think it's name-based. I am a Z

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Just got mine. I got merit and need based. Unfortunately my need based decreases significantly over the 3 years, making my 1L year dirt cheap and my last year ridiculously expensive. I guess I won't complain though if others are getting nothing. :?

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:42 pm

oh no! I haven't gotten the email but would like to know whats up with aid if no one else seems to be getting significant $$. I don't really want to waste my time going to ASW if I'm not getting substantial aid...

coveyellow

New

Post by coveyellow » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 pm

I got the email last week and I got both merit and need-based (although the merit was pretty insignificant). When I emailed the fin aid office with offers from peer schools one of the things they said in their email back was "The email you received was an evaluation of your need based financial aid. The Merit Scholarship Committee is continuing to review files for merit scholarship consideration." I don't really understand it but I'll just let them do their thing...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”