IN AT UPENN Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
r6_philly

Diamond

Re: IN AT UPENN

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:15 pm

shanshan333 wrote:
slax wrote:I have five papers and a presentation the last week of Feb. I had to get a move on things.

I hate to admit this, but I'm gonna...I'm an early kind of person. I finished reading all of my textbooks before school started. Last semester, I finished every assignment before October ended. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am weird. :oops: :roll:
I just have to say... Who are you? Who does this? I tried to get my procrastination into remission, but then I also contracted senioritis which, as you all know, exacerbates and brings on terminal procrastination. I am currently in Stage II, but my senior thesis may be just what will bring me to Stage III: DEATH.
I read all the assignments when semester starts, but I don't do them. If I did everything I need to do by Oct, I would be very bored. Fortunately this may not be necessary in LS since everything counts on this one final.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:
slax wrote:I have five papers and a presentation the last week of Feb. I had to get a move on things.

I hate to admit this, but I'm gonna...I'm an early kind of person. I finished reading all of my textbooks before school started. Last semester, I finished every assignment before October ended. I don't know what is wrong with me. I am weird. :oops: :roll:
I just have to say... Who are you? Who does this? I tried to get my procrastination into remission, but then I also contracted senioritis which, as you all know, exacerbates and brings on terminal procrastination. I am currently in Stage II, but my senior thesis may be just what will bring me to Stage III: DEATH.
I read all the assignments when semester starts, but I don't do them. If I did everything I need to do by Oct, I would be very bored. Fortunately this may not be necessary in LS since everything counts on this one final.
I'm hoping I will grow out of being an a#!. I think I secretly like the rush of not knowing whether I will live to avoid another assignment until the last possible second. It's exciting to think that its WRITE or DIE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:19 pm

shanshan333 wrote: I'm hoping I will grow out of being an a#!. I think I secretly like the rush of not knowing whether I will live to avoid another assignment until the last possible second. It's exciting to think that its WRITE or DIE!
I guess you will like the fact that there is no graded assignments? I just hope my ability to quickly understand things holds in LS or I will be in big trouble.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:21 pm

r6_philly wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:

Yes, school is verrrrry boring. I wish I could just teach myself and be done in a few months instead of four years.
shanshan333 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
shanshan333 wrote:

I'm hoping I will grow out of being an a#!. I think I secretly like the rush of not knowing whether I will live to avoid another assignment until the last possible second. It's exciting to think that its WRITE or DIE!
It takes pressure to make diamonds. To each his own

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:25 pm

slax wrote: Yes, school is verrrrry boring. I wish I could just teach myself and be done in a few months instead of four years.
I did my ug in 2 years effectively, my master in 1. I know what you mean. I can't pay attention to anything that long. Lectures are usually too slow and detailed, all I need to read is the text book/materials, I know how you feel.
I would relax a bit though, you might not enjoy working for too long if you are always pressuring yourself to finish tasks. Especially if you do it faster than others, then 1. they always give you more to do 2. they expect you to do more/faster 3. when you perform on par with everyone else they get upset. It's a delicate game. I was the victim of this all my career.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:42 pm

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote: Yes, school is verrrrry boring. I wish I could just teach myself and be done in a few months instead of four years.
I did my ug in 2 years effectively, my master in 1. I know what you mean. I can't pay attention to anything that long. Lectures are usually too slow and detailed, all I need to read is the text book/materials, I know how you feel.
I would relax a bit though, you might not enjoy working for too long if you are always pressuring yourself to finish tasks. Especially if you do it faster than others, then 1. they always give you more to do 2. they expect you to do more/faster 3. when you perform on par with everyone else they get upset. It's a delicate game. I was the victim of this all my career.
I don't mean to say I feel pressure. I do my work early to avoid pressure. But some people like the pressure of waiting until the last minute. For some people this pressure actually makes their work better (like my girlfriend). So to that I say, pressure makes diamonds

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:44 pm

slax wrote: I don't mean to say I feel pressure. I do my work early to avoid pressure. But some people like the pressure of waiting until the last minute. For some people this pressure actually makes their work better (like my girlfriend). So to that I say, pressure makes diamonds
But it sounded like you generate pressure for yourself whenever you don't finish early (that's how it read anyway). Sorry if I misunderstood.

Anyway, I don't know where you are attending but I will keep an eye out for you.

shanshan333

Bronze

Post by shanshan333 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:59 pm

slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I don't mean to say I feel pressure. I do my work early to avoid pressure. But some people like the pressure of waiting until the last minute. For some people this pressure actually makes their work better (like my girlfriend). So to that I say, pressure makes diamonds
Yupp, your girlfriend and I have that uncommon. I wish I worked well with lots of time at my leisure but noooo.

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Wow slax, you are intense. I'm impressed! If you attend Penn, I must never ask how much you study haha. I always left papers to the last minute and never really ended up editing them...woops! I'll be much, much better in law school though

The only time procrastination really killed me was when I had to miss Marathon Monday (basically a day where everyone gets up at 7 am and parties til noon while watching the Boston marathon) because my gross anatomy lab practical was the next day. That A was so worth it though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NikaneOkie

Bronze

Post by NikaneOkie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:33 pm

all named schollys are out now?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:09 pm

achilles wrote:Wow slax, you are intense. I'm impressed! If you attend Penn, I must never ask how much you study haha. I always left papers to the last minute and never really ended up editing them...woops! I'll be much, much better in law school though

The only time procrastination really killed me was when I had to miss Marathon Monday (basically a day where everyone gets up at 7 am and parties til noon while watching the Boston marathon) because my gross anatomy lab practical was the next day. That A was so worth it though.
I wasn't much of a procrastinator until the Duke email at the end of October. Knowing I was officially going to law school, and a really great one at that, cued the senioritis. This semester I have definitely logged more hours on TLS than my books. Hopefully I'll get myself back together in time for law school, or I'll be in that 0-5% C range they mentioned in the grade breakdown. (Yes I have really been enjoying my portfolio).

achilles

Bronze

Post by achilles » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:01 am

law_monkey wrote:
achilles wrote:Wow slax, you are intense. I'm impressed! If you attend Penn, I must never ask how much you study haha. I always left papers to the last minute and never really ended up editing them...woops! I'll be much, much better in law school though

I wasn't much of a procrastinator until the Duke email at the end of October. Knowing I was officially going to law school, and a really great one at that, cued the senioritis. This semester I have definitely logged more hours on TLS than my books. Hopefully I'll get myself back together in time for law school, or I'll be in that 0-5% C range they mentioned in the grade breakdown. (Yes I have really been enjoying my portfolio).
Really? I couldn't tell :) Mine got a little busted in the mail, but I still love it! Funniest thing I've found so far was their listing Philly's proximity to the Jersey Shore as a plus

Sadly, I couldn't have senioritis my senior year because I spent it trying to raise my sad, little GPA. Now, I can devote full (non-work) attention to my portfolio!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:42 am

I'll get senioritis if I get a Levy :D It's already starting to set in. But I like being done early because it just makes life much easier. I get to come home from work and just relax, not worrying about what is due the next day. I've never pulled an all nighter, and I haven't done homework during the weekend in almost three years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 am

slax wrote:I'll get senioritis if I get a Levy :D It's already starting to set in. But I like being done early because it just makes life much easier. I get to come home from work and just relax, not worrying about what is due the next day. I've never pulled an all nighter, and I haven't done homework during the weekend in almost three years.
What will you do when there is no homework in law school? :D

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 am

slax, i feel better about being a horrible levy-essay-writing slacker since you're a super special non-procrastinating snowflake :)

someone make my essay be written/amazing. arghhh!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 am

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote:I'll get senioritis if I get a Levy :D It's already starting to set in. But I like being done early because it just makes life much easier. I get to come home from work and just relax, not worrying about what is due the next day. I've never pulled an all nighter, and I haven't done homework during the weekend in almost three years.
What will you do when there is no homework in law school? :D
Well since there is only the one test per class, I'll probably just show up to class each day until finals week when I'll glance over my notes from the lectures. :wink:

Side note, I'm willing to bet that that is how the majority of us spent our high school years

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:41 am

slax wrote: Well since there is only the one test per class, I'll probably just show up to class each day until finals week when I'll glance over my notes from the lectures. :wink:

Side note, I'm willing to bet that that is how the majority of us spent our high school years
You take notes? Damn you! :mrgreen:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:55 am

NikaneOkie wrote:all named schollys are out now?
I have this question too. Are the Toll Public Interest Scholar essays out? With my numbers there's no way in hell I'd be considered, but perhaps my WE would sway them? I would LOVE to be in that group.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:56 am

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
I have this question too. Are the Toll Public Interest Scholar essays out? With my numbers there's no way in hell I'd be considered, but perhaps my WE would sway them? I would LOVE to be in that group.
Toll invites have gone out. But I thought they would be rolling throughout the consideration/application period. They committee probably only meets once a week, so I'd wait until Friday and see. - my guess only.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:01 pm

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote: Well since there is only the one test per class, I'll probably just show up to class each day until finals week when I'll glance over my notes from the lectures. :wink:

You take notes? Damn you! :mrgreen:
Well with all of the free time I have from getting my work done early, I actually trained a puppy to take my notes for me. He comes to class with me and copies down important points. His name is Jebediah.

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:05 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Toll invites have gone out. But I thought they would be rolling throughout the consideration/application period. They committee probably only meets once a week, so I'd wait until Friday and see. - my guess only.
Thanks. I'll cross my fingers, just because that would be so sweet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:06 pm

Because this hasn't been posted in a while, ASW RSVP spreadsheeeeet:

Form:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/embedde ... N2EwRlE6MQ

Spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CNurvd4L

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Thanks. I'll cross my fingers, just because that would be so sweet.
I have low numbers too, so that probably barred me from consideration since my app was all about PI. I'm just crossing my fingers that one of these schools at least gets me a decent need-based package. Otherwise I'm major screwed.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:10 pm

law_monkey wrote:
I have low numbers too, so that probably barred me from consideration since my app was all about PI. I'm just crossing my fingers that one of these schools at least gets me a decent need-based package. Otherwise I'm major screwed.
They told me if you don't have a pot to piss in you could possibly get up to 75k need grants. :D

I think out of your schools so far Penn may be the most generous.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
They told me if you don't have a pot to piss in you could possibly get up to 75k need grants. :D

I think out of your schools so far Penn may be the most generous.
Stop trying to make me go to the school of my dreams!!!! :evil: But actually NYU has some really generous need-based scholarships from what I hear, so we'll see.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”