IN AT UPENN Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
slax

Bronze

Re: IN AT UPENN

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:22 pm

-
Last edited by slax on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pereira6

Silver

Post by pereira6 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:23 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
slax wrote:This thread is now a circle jerk.
:?:
Yeah I think we're just gonna move on now...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:24 pm

slax wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Slax says she doesn't like Penn for x reason. Another poster says Slax may be right for her but they still liked Penn and found Slax's reason not to be true. Another Poster directs message at slax. Repeat endlessly.
Forgive me for trying to respect your opinion while simultaneously disagreeing with it.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:26 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
slax wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Slax says she doesn't like Penn for x reason. Another poster says Slax may be right for her but they still liked Penn and found Slax's reason not to be true. Another Poster directs message at slax. Repeat endlessly.
Forgive me for trying to respect your opinion while simultaneously disagreeing with it.
It is the 3rd step in the chain that has made this endless. But I get to go home from work soon, which means I have life to attend to and will not be on TLS.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:31 pm

slax wrote: It is the 3rd step in the chain that has made this endless. But I get to go home from work soon, which means I have life to attend to and will not be on TLS.
To be fair...
slax wrote:So anyone else want a certified slax reply? Let's do this. Work is slow.
And with that, I'm done.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:32 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
slax wrote: It is the 3rd step in the chain that has made this endless. But I get to go home from work soon, which means I have life to attend to and will not be on TLS.
To be fair...
slax wrote:So anyone else want a certified slax reply? Let's do this. Work is slow.
And with that, I'm done.
Hahahaha touche.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:49 pm

slax wrote:But I get to go home from work soon, which means I have life to attend to and will not be on TLS.
I like you, but that sounds pretentious and unnecessary. Everyone has life to attend to, regardless of what you may think. TLS is still a part of live last time I checked.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:54 pm

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote:But I get to go home from work soon, which means I have life to attend to and will not be on TLS.
I like you, but that sounds pretentious and unnecessary. Everyone has life to attend to, regardless of what you may think. TLS is still a part of live last time I checked.
Ooh didn't mean to strike a nerve there. I mean I have to drive home, eat dinner, take a shower, and then usually I read before I go to bed. I just meant I'll be doing things away from the computer. Sorry to offend

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:56 pm

slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Ooh didn't mean to strike a nerve there. I mean I have to drive home, eat dinner, take a shower, and then usually I read before I go to bed. I just meant I'll be doing things away from the computer. Sorry to offend
Why is it even necessary to say that? Everyone should be able to infer that you are not on TLS when you don't post :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ExpectLess

Bronze

Post by ExpectLess » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:01 pm

As riveting as the last few pages of this thread look, can someone fill me in: If they say no need based aid in the award page, does that mean no award whatsoever (need or merit)?

It's pretty exasperating to have been financially independent from my parents for six years, to have funded college entirely through scholarships and working, and then for Penn to say an expected family contribution of 40k/year.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

ExpectLess wrote:As riveting as the last few pages of this thread look, can someone fill me in: If they say no need based aid in the award page, does that mean no award whatsoever (need or merit)?

It's pretty exasperating to have been financially independent from my parents for six years, to have funded college entirely through scholarships and working, and then for Penn to say an expected family contribution of 40k/year.
I don't think merit is done yet. You probably call and appeal need. I would call and find out why you were assessed so much contribution, and see if you can argue against it.

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Why is it even necessary to say that? Everyone should be able to infer that you are not on TLS when you don't post :wink:
You are right. I apologize.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:05 pm

slax wrote: You are right. I apologize.
You are no fun :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 pm

r6_philly wrote:
I implied that if you are on tls a lot you have no life. That was mean spirited. So I take it back and apologize

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:14 pm

slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
I implied that if you are on tls a lot you have no life. That was mean spirited. So I take it back and apologize
Gotta have something to distract me from the sixty pages of writing I need to do by the end of the semester.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Gotta have something to distract me from the sixty pages of writing I need to do by the end of the semester.
Should have done it in the beginning of the semester! :mrgreen:

Ok I stop I stop

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Ok I stop I stop
:mrgreen:

One of them is a 30-page literary journalism piece, so I had to do a shit-ton of research and interviewing before I could start writing.

On the plus side, I can now talk your ear off about the history of de facto segregation in Pittsburgh's Eastern suburbs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:20 pm

HeavenWood wrote:

One of them is a 30-page literary journalism piece, so I had to do a shit-ton of research and interviewing before I could start writing.

On the plus side, I can now talk your ear off about the history of de facto segregation in Pittsburgh's Eastern suburbs.
My friend/classmate right now did his honors thesis on stop and frisk in Philly. every chance he gets he mentions it. I will make sure the two of you meet so you can talk about urban issues, while I make snarky comments about people and places from the sidelines.

Actually I would love to read it when you get done. Segregation is something I care about a lot.

afcanoe

Bronze

Post by afcanoe » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Guy wrote:Slax,

Im really sorry you had such a bad time at Penn. I thought it was really fun. No one knew me before I met them (how would that work? Were they supposed to have our pictures or something?) but they were all really nice.

As for their "making us beg to attend" attitude, I really didnt get that. The professor at my table went through all the peer schools really candidly and told us which he thought were better, better at what, worse at what etc.. He actually told us all that if we got into Yale we should go. The talks all seemed very geared at why Penn is the best school to go to so that you can get a job in this new market and how you really should come etc.. Instead of gimicks they tried logical reasoning to convince us to attend. Sly ones they are....

I hate to say it, because I really dont know you, but I do think that maybe being nearby Penn has left you with some potentially negative feelings toward in deep down. Maybe some obnoxious undergrads pushed your buttons once or twice. I only say this because people outside of Philly would NOT immediately think of Penn people as having some all-mighty vibe to them, because no one really thinks of Penn as a super-elite school. Most think its Penn state or Drexel's sister school.

Just guessing.
Guy - I think I was at your lunch table! FWIW, I felt the same way about Penn. The people I met were wonderful and friendly, and all the faculty members and admins I talked to were great. All in all, I had a really positive experience, and I'm just waiting to hear about some finaid stuff before I make my final call.

niederbomb

Silver

Post by niederbomb » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:20 pm

pereira6 wrote:The only thing I have to say is that I wish I had a peer school offer to consider.

I friggin' loved Penn; however, I said it then and I'll say it now: I could have just been impressed due to it being my first visit, it being 2 days long, and being around a perhaps different selection of current students/admits whom I thought were really quality people.

I'm excited to kick some ass in Philly if I choose there over Vandy, but I wish I had a Michigan, an NYU, or etc. to look at like the vast majority of you.

Man, my cycle was weird.
+1

Excellence = a Habit

Silver

Post by Excellence = a Habit » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:52 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Ok I stop I stop

This sounds fascinating!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Ok I stop I stop
I see what you did there....
:wink:

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 pm

slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Ok I stop I stop
whatdidhedowhatdidhedo?

TELL ME NAO!

slax

Bronze

Post by slax » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:41 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
slax wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

Ok I stop I stop
whatdidhedowhatdidhedo?

TELL ME NAO!
A long while ago I said I do all my work early. So r6 was making a play at how you should have done it early like I said I do. It was a real full circle moment.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:51 pm

slax wrote:A long while ago I said I do all my work early. So r6 was making a play at how you should have done it early like I said I do. It was a real full circle moment.
You seem to have mistaken :roll: for :?:

But on a side note, senioritis sucks (and it doesn't help that I saved both of my major's senior seminars for the last semester).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”