CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:24 pm

soooooo i went into the dec exam this morning aced the first two RC sections did ok i think -4 on LR and then BOMMMMMBBBBEEDDD LG. i only finished 2 and a half games which is uncharacteristic of me as LG is my best section usually with -3 to -0 usually. so i cancelled before i even went to the 5th section because i felt it was worthless to see if i guessed right on half of a section. im freaking out because i want to go to school this fall and am concerned i wont have a score to send in. i realize the feb exam is still i late albeit viable option for schools like emory who have march deadlines however is that too late for schools like ND who have feb 1 deadlines? i have a score from the oct exam but its no where near my pt avg. i had personal family issues (family member almost dieing) the week of the oct exam that kind of really messed me up going into the exam. please offer advice!!!! oh and i do not want to wait till next cycle. i basically "have" to go to school in the fall. the schools i am applying/ have submitted apps to are: ND, Emory, IU Btown, Loyola Chi, Catholic U, Fordham.

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm

halllpp!

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:35 pm

Michigan, G-town, Cornell-all accept February exams. Yes, your application will be late however, for example Cornell is deferring a lot of their applicants so you'll be reviewed in that bunch. Also, there is always waitlist-consider yourself as a waitlist applicant and fight your way through.

Where would you like to apply?
Last edited by Miracle on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coug11
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby coug11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 pm

lolol10 wrote:soooooo i went into the dec exam this morning aced the first two RC sections did ok i think -4 on LR and then BOMMMMMBBBBEEDDD LG. i only finished 2 and a half games which is uncharacteristic of me as LG is my best section usually with -3 to -0 usually. so i cancelled before i even went to the 5th section because i felt it was worthless to see if i guessed right on half of a section. im freaking out because i want to go to school this fall and am concerned i wont have a score to send in. i realize the feb exam is still i late albeit viable option for schools like emory who have march deadlines however is that too late for schools like ND who have feb 1 deadlines? i have a score from the oct exam but its no where near my pt avg. i had personal family issues (family member almost dieing) the week of the oct exam that kind of really messed me up going into the exam. please offer advice!!!! oh and i do not want to wait till next cycle. i basically "have" to go to school in the fall. the schools i am applying/ have submitted apps to are: ND, Emory, IU Btown, Loyola Chi, Catholic U, Fordham.


What I've seen on LSN is that lots of people get waitlisted that take the exam in feb b/c they have already filled all of their spots by the time the scores come in. However, I don't know about any of those schools in particular, and, if your score/GPA is good, you would probably be one of the first off the waitlist in April or May if you can wait that long. I'm sure at least one of those schools will use the waitlist this year.

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:37 pm

i was thinking that i could submit with a crap oct score then supplement with the feb exam. this is of course if they dont outright reject me on the basis of my application without a solid score. what do you think. ND is my main concern. i go here UG and really want to go to the law school

coug11
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:02 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby coug11 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:39 pm

lolol10 wrote:i was thinking that i could submit with a crap oct score then supplement with the feb exam. this is of course if they dont outright reject me on the basis of my application without a solid score. what do you think. ND is my main concern. i go here UG and really want to go to the law school


Call and ask them, or, since you go there, go in. The personal connections can help if they like you.

sccjnthn
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby sccjnthn » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:49 pm

lolol10 wrote: i basically "have" to go to school in the fall. the schools i am applying/ have submitted apps to are: ND, Emory, IU Btown, Loyola Chi, Catholic U, Fordham.


http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944515

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:51 pm

yeah i have called up already and asked about the dec exam they said that was still early for them. im just concerned im going to be without a school to go to in the fall. i dont mind being WL if it will get me in somewhere. i am no stranger to persistence.


hahaha niceee. yeah thats somewhat comforting. my rationale primarily stems from health insurance and VA benefits.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:52 pm

lolol10 wrote:i was thinking that i could submit with a crap oct score then supplement with the feb exam. this is of course if they dont outright reject me on the basis of my application without a solid score. what do you think. ND is my main concern. i go here UG and really want to go to the law school


Submitting you app with poor score is not going to help you. You need to study-get yourself on track for February exam-DO WELL, and then worry about acceptance. You might not meet their criteria for their school, and even if you were to apply next cycle early does not mean that they would accept you. You need to lock yourself a good score, and take it from there.

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:03 pm

i know. im on it.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:32 pm

how bad is your october score? If you were only looking for one or 2 points then i would submit it and then contact the school and see how they would feel about the february test.

Worst case scenario: You have to sit this cycle out and apply in the fall. Waiting a year between UG and LS isnt the end of the world. You can relax your brain, have some fun, and get out of the academic bubble. It will go by faster than you realize.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:47 pm

sccjnthn wrote:
lolol10 wrote: i basically "have" to go to school in the fall. the schools i am applying/ have submitted apps to are: ND, Emory, IU Btown, Loyola Chi, Catholic U, Fordham.


http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1944515


Do you "have" to? Or do you really have to?

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:11 pm

northwood wrote:how bad is your october score? If you were only looking for one or 2 points then i would submit it and then contact the school and see how they would feel about the february test.

Worst case scenario: You have to sit this cycle out and apply in the fall. Waiting a year between UG and LS isnt the end of the world. You can relax your brain, have some fun, and get out of the academic bubble. It will go by faster than you realize.

I second this. I was dead set on starting law school in fall 2010. I panicked with the LSAT, cancelled December and re-took in February. I ended up getting waitlisted at schools that I probably would have got into had I applied earlier in the cycle. I got into some schools, but didn't get into any that I truly wanted to attend.

I'm now 3 months into this application cycle and don't have any regrets. I have a full time job as well as a part time job at a golf course on the weekends (during golf season, obviously). I live with my parents, which isn't socially ideal, but it is financially unbeatable. My expenses are my cell phone bill, gas, some food, and beer. Everything else is in savings. I will end up starting law school with a good amount of money in the bank account.

Academically, I'm getting into schools that waitlisted me and getting scholarships from schools that accepted me with no money. I've even been waitlisted at a reach school that I know I would have been rejected from had I applied late in last year's cycle.

Waiting a year may be hard to stomach at first, but it's not the end of the world like you think it is.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:13 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
northwood wrote:how bad is your october score? If you were only looking for one or 2 points then i would submit it and then contact the school and see how they would feel about the february test.

Worst case scenario: You have to sit this cycle out and apply in the fall. Waiting a year between UG and LS isnt the end of the world. You can relax your brain, have some fun, and get out of the academic bubble. It will go by faster than you realize.

I second this. I was dead set on starting law school in fall 2010. I panicked with the LSAT, cancelled December and re-took in February. I ended up getting waitlisted at schools that I probably would have got into had I applied earlier in the cycle. I got into some schools, but didn't get into any that I truly wanted to attend.

I'm now 3 months into this application cycle and don't have any regrets. I have a full time job as well as a part time job at a golf course on the weekends (during golf season, obviously). I live with my parents, which isn't socially ideal, but it is financially unbeatable. My expenses are my cell phone bill, gas, some food, and beer. Everything else is in savings. I will end up starting law school with a good amount of money in the bank account.

Academically, I'm getting into schools that waitlisted me and getting scholarships from schools that accepted me with no money. I've even been waitlisted at a reach school that I know I would have been rejected from had I applied late in last year's cycle.

Waiting a year may be hard to stomach at first, but it's not the end of the world like you think it is.


If money is not important to him, and he can get in ND-his dream school, then he has nothing to worry about

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Miracle wrote:Michigan, G-town, Cornell-all accept February exams. Yes, your application will be late however, for example Cornell is deferring a lot of their applicants so you'll be reviewed in that bunch. Also, there is always waitlist-consider yourself as a waitlist applicant and fight your way through.

Where would you like to apply?


I took the LSAT last Feb (I graduated a year early so it wasn't due to procrastination, it was too late to sign up for Dec by the time I got approval). I got a 170/3.88, applied to T14 and only got in Michigan. WL'ed everywhere else. I think last cycle was a bit harsher but you get the point. It's going to be very tough getting in anywhere you would have if you submitted before Dec. I am already in Berkeley this year (no retake) and I expect a few more.

So wait, prepare better, and maybe that the June test. Get a good score and apply next cycle. Even if you do well on Feb, you are still selling yourself short. I even sent my apps before I took the Feb LSAT to expedite things, didn't matter.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Miracle wrote:Michigan, G-town, Cornell-all accept February exams. Yes, your application will be late however, for example Cornell is deferring a lot of their applicants so you'll be reviewed in that bunch. Also, there is always waitlist-consider yourself as a waitlist applicant and fight your way through.

Where would you like to apply?


I took the LSAT last Feb (I graduated a year early so it wasn't due to procrastination, it was too late to sign up for Dec by the time I got approval). I got a 170/3.88, applied to T14 and only got in Michigan. WL'ed everywhere else. I think last cycle was a bit harsher but you get the point. It's going to be very tough getting in anywhere you would have if you submitted before Dec. I am already in Berkeley this year (no retake) and I expect a few more.

So wait, prepare better, and maybe that the June test. Get a good score and apply next cycle. Even if you do well on Feb, you are still selling yourself short. I even sent my apps before I took the Feb LSAT to expedite things, didn't matter.


What was wrong with Michigan? You got WL'ed-thats exactly what I said... yes it will hurt him, but if he gets one school to accept him-where he really wants to go-doesn't care about money-it all depends on your own circumstances-then yes he should apply. If not, then no.

Take me for example. Clearly, Georgetown is my first choice- i don't care about the money-i'm a splitter, all I would like to do is get in. I will most likely get WL'ed-fighting to get off wait list this year, or next is not going to make a difference. What's the worst it can happen? They can say no, and he has to apply next fall?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Miracle wrote:
What was wrong with Michigan? You got WL'ed-thats exactly what I said... yes it will hurt him, but if he gets one school to accept him-where he really wants to go-doesn't care about money-it all depends on your own circumstances-then yes he should apply. If not, then no.

Take me for example. Clearly, Georgetown is my first choice- i don't care about the money-i'm a splitter, all I would like to do is get in. I will most likely get WL'ed-fighting to get off wait list this year, or next is not going to make a difference. What's the worst it can happen? They can say no, and he has to apply next fall?


No wrong is implied, I couldn't go for personal reasons. But I had to admit my choices were very limited because of timing, and I happen to like options.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Miracle wrote:
What was wrong with Michigan? You got WL'ed-thats exactly what I said... yes it will hurt him, but if he gets one school to accept him-where he really wants to go-doesn't care about money-it all depends on your own circumstances-then yes he should apply. If not, then no.

Take me for example. Clearly, Georgetown is my first choice- i don't care about the money-i'm a splitter, all I would like to do is get in. I will most likely get WL'ed-fighting to get off wait list this year, or next is not going to make a difference. What's the worst it can happen? They can say no, and he has to apply next fall?


No wrong is implied, I couldn't go for personal reasons. But I had to admit my choices were very limited because of timing, and I happen to like options.


I do understand your choices were limited, but if he wants to go to ND, then why not apply with February score-that's if he does well, and see if they accept him. If they do-good. If they don't-he can try next cycle.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:03 pm

Miracle wrote:I do understand your choices were limited, but if he wants to go to ND, then why not apply with February score-that's if he does well, and see if they accept him. If they do-good. If they don't-he can try next cycle.


Oh sure, I wasn't saying that don't apply, I mean to point out that you would probably under perform like I did.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby northwood » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Miracle wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Miracle wrote:Michigan, G-town, Cornell-all accept February exams. Yes, your application will be late however, for example Cornell is deferring a lot of their applicants so you'll be reviewed in that bunch. Also, there is always waitlist-consider yourself as a waitlist applicant and fight your way through.

Where would you like to apply?


I took the LSAT last Feb (I graduated a year early so it wasn't due to procrastination, it was too late to sign up for Dec by the time I got approval). I got a 170/3.88, applied to T14 and only got in Michigan. WL'ed everywhere else. I think last cycle was a bit harsher but you get the point. It's going to be very tough getting in anywhere you would have if you submitted before Dec. I am already in Berkeley this year (no retake) and I expect a few more.

So wait, prepare better, and maybe that the June test. Get a good score and apply next cycle. Even if you do well on Feb, you are still selling yourself short. I even sent my apps before I took the Feb LSAT to expedite things, didn't matter.


What was wrong with Michigan? You got WL'ed-thats exactly what I said... yes it will hurt him, but if he gets one school to accept him-where he really wants to go-doesn't care about money-it all depends on your own circumstances-then yes he should apply. If not, then no.

Take me for example. Clearly, Georgetown is my first choice- i don't care about the money-i'm a splitter, all I would like to do is get in. I will most likely get WL'ed-fighting to get off wait list this year, or next is not going to make a difference. What's the worst it can happen? They can say no, and he has to apply next fall?



Well if you have the numbers to get into michigan after the february test- you definately have the numbers to get some serious scholarship money, or into a top ranked law school near where you want to live, or in an environment where you would be happier.( Or possibly into the school of your dreams) Why sell yourself short? If you can waita few more months to apply, you will have a lot more options?
just my 2 cents

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Law Sauce » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:48 pm

I say, forget about the lsat for a while, enjoy your last semester of college. Then when your done with UG take the lsat in June or October and apply then. Its only a year, its smart finacially, and it will give you the full range of options next year. Your gonna be a lawyer for the rest of your life and it makes a big difference where you go to school. Take your time, have fun, make your life easier, go for the class of 2015.

of coarse if you really cant then i can respect that. I just cant see many reasons why you really couldn't. most reasons just come down to dont want to. Even if you get into ND either way, the scholarship will be much better next year with your good lsat that you took your time and got.

your call tho obviously

lolol10
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby lolol10 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:27 pm

so im looking forward to WL everywhere but Emory, IUbtown. am i right?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby HeavenWood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Law Sauce wrote:I say, forget about the lsat for a while, enjoy your last semester of college. Then when your done with UG take the lsat in June or October and apply then. Its only a year, its smart finacially, and it will give you the full range of options next year. Your gonna be a lawyer for the rest of your life and it makes a big difference where you go to school. Take your time, have fun, make your life easier, go for the class of 2015.

of coarse if you really cant then i can respect that. I just cant see many reasons why you really couldn't. most reasons just come down to dont want to. Even if you get into ND either way, the scholarship will be much better next year with your good lsat that you took your time and got.

your call tho obviously


I agree that the OP should wait a year, but if the LSAT is still fresh in his/her mind, getting it out of the way in February may be the best option.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby r6_philly » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 pm

lolol10 wrote:so im looking forward to WL everywhere but Emory, IUbtown. am i right?


Expect WL but hope for acceptances. If you work the WL you can probably get off, but probably no $ at that point? You can certainly try and maybe you have better luck, but just keep the reapplying option in the back of your mind.

Miracle
Posts: 929
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

Re: CANCELED DEC>>FEB LSAT for this cycle? HHHEEEELLLPP!!!!

Postby Miracle » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:55 pm

r6_philly wrote:
lolol10 wrote:so im looking forward to WL everywhere but Emory, IUbtown. am i right?


Expect WL but hope for acceptances. If you work the WL you can probably get off, but probably no $ at that point? You can certainly try and maybe you have better luck, but just keep the reapplying option in the back of your mind.


Thats exactly what i meant to say.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: whodareswins and 7 guests