UIUC v WUSTL again

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adammac17

UIUC v WUSTL again

Postby adammac17 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:03 pm

so ive gotten into both- UIUC (w/ 75% scholly guaranteed all 3 years) and WUSTL and would expectant a fairly comparable packet from them early in the new year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108849

has anything really changed since last year? hiring up/down? OCI?
does it really just come down to preference or Chi vs STL and slim chance at elsewhere?

thexfactor

Re: UIUC v WUSTL again

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm

adammac17 wrote:so ive gotten into both- UIUC (w/ 75% scholly guaranteed all 3 years) and WUSTL and would expectant a fairly comparable packet from them early in the new year.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108849

has anything really changed since last year? hiring up/down? OCI?
does it really just come down to preference or Chi vs STL and slim chance at elsewhere?

I think UIUC slightly better for the Chicago market.
WUSTL has an advantage everywhere else + WUSTL helps you in the STL market.
Both have similar chances at biglaw.

adammac17

Postby adammac17 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:09 pm

thats what i gathered from past threads. but how big is the stl market? does WUSTL have a lock on it?

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:14 pm

adammac17 wrote:thats what i gathered from past threads. but how big is the stl market? does WUSTL have a lock on it?

no wustl does not have anything close to a lock. However, this is due to the fact that most midwestern cities want people from the area. at WUSTL there are a lot of people from both coasts. A lot of firms are afraid that associates will leave for chicago once they get a chance to bolt.
If you have connections in stl then it will help.
The STL market isn't that big. I think it is smaller than Cleveland or Pittsburg. THere is only 2-3 v100 firms that are based in STL. Cleveland has like 5 and Pittsburgh has 4-5 too.
http://www.ilrg.com/nlj250

Birdlaw

Postby Birdlaw » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm from St. Louis and have had several relatives graduate from SLU to practice law in St. Louis. The impression that they give me is that almost every SLU graduate works in St. Louis and that the majority of lawyers in St. Louis went to SLU.

I haven't heard as much about WUSTL, but the impression that I've gathered is that many of their graduates leave St. Louis for larger markets in the Midwest. I guess that would be the point of going to WUSTL in the first place.

Thats all I really know, I'm not suggesting you go to SLU, but just to warn you that it surprisingly competes with WashU in the St. Louis area. I am sure you would fare well in STL, but SLU seems to have made a strong network of graduates in the area. So long story short, no, WUSTL does not have a complete lock on the St. Louis market.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”