Interesting situation, looking for comments/advice

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beachbum

Interesting situation, looking for comments/advice

Postby beachbum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

So I applied ED to Duke (Round I), and today I received an e-mail from the director of admissions asking me for additional materials. He requested updated grades from this semester (which will be available in a week or so) and, if I choose, an additional essay describing my professional goals and reasons for choosing Duke. (I did not submit a "Why Duke," as I thought the ED would be sufficient). He also noted that they will not be able to reach a decision within the Round I time frame, and asked if I would like to be considered for Round II ED or for regular decision.

What are your thoughts on this? I already replied and requested to be considered for Round II (as Duke is far and away my top choice), but do I still have a chance at getting in? Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm definitely going to submit the additional essay, and I expect my grades this semester to be 3.7-4.0, but I'm not sure what to think at this point.

Any comments and advice would be more than welcome. Thanks everyone.

CanadianWolf

Re: Interesting situation, looking for comments/advice

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Obviously Duke is uncomfortable with your current GPA. Whether or not you want to jump through the additional hoops depends upon how much you want Duke. Round 2 ED may be to your advantage as you will be able to see results from other law schools without being committed.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:11 pm

If Duke is far and away your number one it shouldn't be hard to write an essay about it.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Yeah, I think you made the right choice going to round two ED. You clearly want Duke, and you'll be better positioned in this round (your GPA will be higher when you submit new grades, you'll have written something new for them to look at, and, as someone already mentioned, you'll probably know at least a few more decisions before being committed).

Whether you'll get in or not depends on the strength of all the other applicants you're competing with. I think it's clear that Duke is interested in you, but your GPA is leaving a little bit to be desired, and they don't want to commit because they think there is some chance they can fill their class with better numbers. But with a higher GPA and some luck, I think you still can get in. GL!

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Since you have received two decisions already (WFU w/money & W/L at Illinois), Duke's email should be encouraging assuming money is not a necessity. Being waitlisted at Illinois with your LSAT score should make any chance at Duke worth pursuing.

P.S. My best guess is that you matriculate at Vanderbilt with some merit money.

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:24 pm

the WL at Ill almost has to be YP with your #'s. I know they say they don't YP, but even with you being in undergrad I can't see how they wouldn't accept you unless they figured on you going elsewhere. Or unless you have something pretty bad in your past like an outstanding trial for grinding up kittens and feeding them to grade-schoolers.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:47 pm

Remnantofisrael wrote:the WL at Ill almost has to be YP with your #'s. I know they say they don't YP, but even with you being in undergrad I can't see how they wouldn't accept you unless they figured on you going elsewhere. Or unless you have something pretty bad in your past like an outstanding trial for grinding up kittens and feeding them to grade-schoolers.

But the kids loved their kitten-burgers!

Seriously though, I appreciate all the responses. I wasn't sure whether to be excited or discouraged about Duke's decision, but I think now I'm just thankful to still be in the running. I'm going to study hard for my remaining finals and do my best to put together a solid "Why Duke," and then I guess we'll see what happens.

Any further comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Hm, interesting. I think if you had no chance, he wouldn't have invited you to the next round or asked for additional materials. So this means three things: 1. you need to get the best fall grades you can possibly muster; 2. you need to write a killer Why Duke (I'd suggest perhaps asking people who were accepted so far for examples to see what worked, and definitely get it TLS-proofread/edited so that it's a page or so of the best writing possible); and 3. when you email in the Why Duke, I'd attach it to a well-written and personal email that also explains that Duke remains your number one choice. You don't have to repeat any Why Duke? information, but it's the place to be a little less informal than an essay and explain that Duke really is your #1.

Those are my thoughts, and I'm happy to look over any essay drafts. Good luck!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:45 pm

beachbum wrote:So I applied ED to Duke (Round I), and today I received an e-mail from the director of admissions asking me for additional materials. He requested updated grades from this semester (which will be available in a week or so) and, if I choose, an additional essay describing my professional goals and reasons for choosing Duke. (I did not submit a "Why Duke," as I thought the ED would be sufficient). He also noted that they will not be able to reach a decision within the Round I time frame, and asked if I would like to be considered for Round II ED or for regular decision.

What are your thoughts on this? I already replied and requested to be considered for Round II (as Duke is far and away my top choice), but do I still have a chance at getting in? Has anyone been in a similar situation? I'm definitely going to submit the additional essay, and I expect my grades this semester to be 3.7-4.0, but I'm not sure what to think at this point.

That's messed up
you have a 170 and a 3.7 and Duke wouldn't accept you ED?
Write the essays, do the round II ED, and you should be fine. If you're not, it must be because of something in your PS... something... too weird.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Looks like you are on the cusp. Do what they request and hope. If you write a convincing essay and have decent grades you should be in. FWIW my GPA rose by almost a full point my senior year.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:49 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:
beachbum wrote:So I applied ED to Duke (Round I), and today I received an e-mail from the director of admissions asking me for additional materials. He requested updated grades from this semester (which will be available in a week or so) and, if I choose, an additional essay describing my professional goals and reasons for choosing Duke. (I did not submit a "Why Duke," as I thought the ED would be sufficient). He also noted that they will not be able to reach a decision within the Round I time frame, and asked if I would like to be considered for Round II ED or for regular decision.

That's messed up
Write the essays, do the round II ED, and you should be fine. If you're not, it must be because of something in your PS... something... too weird.

He has a 3.4

Dany

Postby Dany » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:50 pm

s0ph1e2007 wrote:That's messed up

:roll: He doesn't have a 3.7... Check profile.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:51 pm

eskimo wrote:
s0ph1e2007 wrote:That's messed up

:roll: He doesn't have a 3.7... Check profile.

sorry, misread his 'next term I'll have a 3.7' comment. I thought he meant cumulatively
Even with a 3.4, I think your 3.7 next term will show them what they want to see, and you should apply ED again.

dddhhh

Postby dddhhh » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:53 pm

I think if he took the time to call they are interested!
Also, if it's your first choice I would do everything asked even if optional and as soon as possible! (without compromising the quality of the work)
Write the why Duke and also the professional goals --- tie that in with what programs Duke offers & how they can help you achieve those goals. Get your grades in and if there is any grade that raises a red flag ask your professor to send a lor or include a brief addendum explaining that grade.
Best of luck!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone again for their advice. I managed a 4.0 this semester, so we'll see what happens...

Dany

Postby Dany » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:42 pm

beachbum wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone again for their advice. I managed a 4.0 this semester, so we'll see what happens...

Damn, that's awesome! Congrats!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”