Seattle U - 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fragged

Seattle U - 2011

Postby fragged » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't think there's a thread yet, but my apologies if there is.

My status checker has said "Decision Pending" for a while now, but today I got an envelope from the financial aid office containing a financial aid brochure. I can't imagine they would send a financial aid brochure to every applicant, but stranger things have happened.

Anyone else heard anything yet?

psteele99

Re: Seattle U - 2011

Postby psteele99 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:39 am

not a word... got the same financial aid packet and then christmas card emailed and signed by dean of admissions... that's either very promising, or super cute.

stoff51

Postby stoff51 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:18 pm

I submitted my app on Dec. 1st, and just got my status checker email today. I also got a "complete" email saying they will begin posting decisions in Jan.

But on the status checker it says 12/6 complete, then below that decision status: decision pending. Does that mean anything? Most of the schools seem to post "decision pending" when they've actually made up their mind. I hope I don't have to wait until Jan, though it sounds like that may be the case.

What about everyone else?

Edit: I just noticed that's almost the same the the OP said. Sorry. I should read more carefully! Guess we're all in the same boat.

jepoy

Postby jepoy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:35 am

Stoff51, when did you receive notification that your application was complete? I submitted on 12/7 and haven't heard if my app is complete. I'm a little worried that maybe something went wrong.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm

In via status checker today. No idea about money yet. I am very happy, but concerned about the job market in Seattle for lawyers. Any of you guys have any input on that? Thanks in advance.

fragged

Postby fragged » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:18 am

risktaker wrote:In via status checker today. No idea about money yet. I am very happy, but concerned about the job market in Seattle for lawyers. Any of you guys have any input on that? Thanks in advance.

BUMP - I am curious about this too. I know UW owns the Pacific NW region, but unless I get in there I am wondering how wise it is to go to a regional school in a small legal market, especially when it's Seattle - a place that is desirable to live which probably attracts a lot of T-14 grads.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:32 am

I worked for a mid sized firm based out of DC in Seattle. I helped hire two permanant associates and two summer associates. We went through hundreds of applicants from all over the U.S. Seattle U is well known for its writing program. There are a ton of well respected attorneys from Seattle U. Of course, UW grads are going to be competition, but if you do some kind of networking you should be able to hold your own once you graduate.

Seattle firms like to hire people from the area.

In the end, it does matter who you know and how you carry yourself. I can't tell you how many awesome resumes we recieved every day but when the people came in for the job they were terrible. Research the firms you want to work at well before you start looking for a job. Out of every ten people, only about two or three are actually qualified. So the one spot goes to the person who will actually "fit in."

Let me know if you have general Seattle questions, I live in the area.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Thanks dey. I was born in a foreign country and came to California in middle school. I have lived in CA ever since. If I go to a school like Seattle U, would not having ties to Seattle hurt me?

dey206

Postby dey206 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 am

I don't want to speak for all firms, but from my own humble experience yes in a way it could.

Seattle is a city you either love or hate, and there are a ton of people from Cali especially Southern Cal who can't handle the weather/people after a couple of years. It's true what you hear about the rain, and that can be depressing at times. But, unlike other places our rain is more of a drizzle only rarely does it really pour down (like in the South).

That being said, firms know that some people like to get hired after graduation, work for a few years, and then move back home with family or friends.

However, there are plenty of other things that can help you such as class rank, networking, work experience etc. No firm is going to toss your resume because you are from Michigan. But all things being equal, the guy from City X is more likely to lose to the guy from Seattle.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:16 pm

risktaker wrote:Thanks dey. I was born in a foreign country and came to California in middle school. I have lived in CA ever since. If I go to a school like Seattle U, would not having ties to Seattle hurt me?

I'd make sure that you want to live up here first. Do NOT visit in August or July to make such a decision... though I doubt that'd be the case now. June and May are pretty variable. I would visit for at least a few days sometime before the end of April. As a former Californian, I can attest to how depressing the constant overcast skies and misting rain can get. I moved up here early enough to adapt somewhat, but Nov-Feb are still really hard for me. If you can get past the weather, you will be fine.

Connection wise, you won't be hurt by being a transplant. This is still a frontier town by nature. You count as local enough if you attend one of the local universities and stick around after that. Consider it Trial by Mist.

deja

Postby deja » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:33 pm

geoduck wrote:Consider it Trial by Mist.

That's a 2L class, isn't it? :D

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:10 pm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”