Quinnipiac 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ggx

New

Re: Quinnipiac 2011

Post by ggx » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:59 am

I'm withdrawing today. I hope my unused scholly $ is redistributed to one of you who plan to attend.

edyoung

New

Post by edyoung » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:44 pm

In last week with $$, anyone have any luck with negotiating more scholly money from QU without visiting (visiting is impossible for me until the end of April)? I'm in at better schools but would likely attend if they gave me more money.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 pm

edyoung wrote:In last week with $$, anyone have any luck with negotiating more scholly money from QU without visiting (visiting is impossible for me until the end of April)? I'm in at better schools but would likely attend if they gave me more money.
I negotiated another 5K out of them to up me to 25K. I think because of that, they win me.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:06 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
edyoung wrote:In last week with $$, anyone have any luck with negotiating more scholly money from QU without visiting (visiting is impossible for me until the end of April)? I'm in at better schools but would likely attend if they gave me more money.
I negotiated another 5K out of them to up me to 25K. I think because of that, they win me.

Do pray tell, how did you accomplish such a feat? Because that would be amazing for me!

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:17 pm

crossarmant wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

Do pray tell, how did you accomplish such a feat? Because that would be amazing for me!
I just wrote a really nice letter to the Dean of Admissions. Saying QU was my top choice, in this economy I need to think about money as well as education, etc. etc. They are a very easy school to deal with, I have felt. Very quick in response to anything you ask them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:19 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I'm in eternal review as well.
167/4.0
I have to assume they just don't make decisions this early (?)

.... why are you applying to this school with those numbers?

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:24 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
167/4.0

He will probably get a free ride.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:25 pm

How is everyone coping with the pretty frightening job prospects coming out of a school like Quinnipiac?

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 pm

For the record, I am a really strange case. Under 2.5 GPA and a high 150s LSAT. Bio student with a chem minor. Essentially got killed during first year Pharmacy school which ruined my GPA for the last few years, which I think caused most schools to kind of overlook the GPA.

Some numbers loving schools dinged me, but I got scholly offers from some I should have been even borderline to get into.

In at:

Hofstra (Sticker)
UNH (Sticker)
QU ($$$)
Albany ($)
WVU ($)

WL'd at:

Rutgers Camden
Seton Hall
Temple
Baylor

Rejected at:

Vermont (wtf?)
American
DePaul
Chicago-Kent
Akron (wtf?)
Michigan State

Waiting on:

Louisville (probably top choice)

So I have been all over the map in who has liked me or hated me, really. I am an interesting case, so I might not be the best to ask why did you get money to, I guess.
Last edited by 23402385985 on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:34 pm

rocon7383 wrote:How is everyone coping with the pretty frightening job prospects coming out of a school like Quinnipiac?
Do really well as I have been the last three years of school. All you can do. The scholarship money helps, since I won't be in debt out the ass. I likely have an in with my father's business in their law department (major insurance broker in NYC) if need be.

rocon7383

Bronze

Post by rocon7383 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:13 pm

joncrooshal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
167/4.0

Yeah, at a T1 or T2. He could probably get a full ride at Cardozo. That's where my confusion comes in

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:52 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
167/4.0

Yeah, at a T1 or T2. He could probably get a full ride at Cardozo. That's where my confusion comes in
Maybe he is a felon.

edyoung

New

Post by edyoung » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:25 am

joncrooshal wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:

I just wrote a really nice letter to the Dean of Admissions. Saying QU was my top choice, in this economy I need to think about money as well as education, etc. etc. They are a very easy school to deal with, I have felt. Very quick in response to anything you ask them.
Nice to hear. It looks like it is coming down to Ole Miss or QU for me. With the scholly QU gave me, QU tuition it is less than tuition at Ole Miss. On the other hand, if Ole Miss waived OOS for 1L, it would be cheaper. Another 5-10k could really tip the scales for me, especially since no T2's have given me anything worth considering.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 am

joncrooshal wrote: In at:

Hofstra (Sticker)
UNH (Sticker)
QU ($$$)
Albany ($)
WVU ($)

WL'd at:

Rutgers Camden
Seton Hall
Temple
Baylor

Rejected at:

Vermont (wtf?)
American
DePaul
Chicago-Kent
Akron (wtf?)
Michigan State

Waiting on:

Louisville (probably top choice)
I understand what you mean, I got into Denver, QU with 20K a year, and Idaho. Got waitlisted at U of Richmond, Penn State, and Michigan State... yet Vermont straight up rejected me. Confusing little school.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:54 am

crossarmant wrote:
I understand what you mean, I got into Denver, QU with 20K a year, and Idaho. Got waitlisted at U of Richmond, Penn State, and Michigan State... yet Vermont straight up rejected me. Confusing little school.
Yeah, seriously. Not that I wanted to go there, though.

The $$$ at QU is likely going to sway me there at this point I think. Gorgeous little school.

I think QU is numbers forgiving to an extent if they believe in you (upward trend, great PS, etc.).

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:10 am

joncrooshal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
Maybe he is a felon.
Sorry I didn't realize people were talking about me on the Quinn thread, I haven't been watching it since I withdrew.
No one told me that people with good scores aren't allowed outside T1, shit. :roll:
The quote that was bumped here was really fuckin old, from the beginning of the cycle. I ended up being a 167/171/4.0. And no I'm not a felon. Just choosing to go to school near home and keep my job. A quick TLS/LSN stalk would have told you that.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:26 am

ElvisAaron wrote:Sorry I didn't realize people were talking about me on the Quinn thread, I haven't been watching it since I withdrew.
No one told me that people with good scores aren't allowed outside T1, shit. :roll:
The quote that was bumped here was really fuckin old, from the beginning of the cycle. I ended up being a 167/171/4.0. And no I'm not a felon. Just choosing to go to school near home and keep my job. A quick TLS/LSN stalk would have told you that.
I was actually being as sarcastic as possible, considering I am likely going there. :P

Was trying to use some TLS humor.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ElvisAaron

Bronze

Post by ElvisAaron » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:38 am

joncrooshal wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:Sorry I didn't realize people were talking about me on the Quinn thread, I haven't been watching it since I withdrew.
I was actually being as sarcastic as possible, considering I am likely going there. :P

Was trying to use some TLS humor.
Haha, ok. Sorry, tattooed guys are usually pretty sensitive about being called felons, I guess its our version of racism :D

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:45 am

joncrooshal wrote:Yeah, seriously. Not that I wanted to go there, though.

The $$$ at QU is likely going to sway me there at this point I think. Gorgeous little school.

I think QU is numbers forgiving to an extent if they believe in you (upward trend, great PS, etc.).
I'm still debating about going to QU, the money they're throwing my way is nothing to sneeze at. Though, I got into U of Denver and am still waiting on some other better schools. I just worry about the employment prospects coming out of Quinnipiac. Especially in the NE which is so littered with law schools and CT alone has UConn and Yale right next door, and a slew of other New England schools competing in the CT market.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:17 am

crossarmant wrote:I'm still debating about going to QU, the money they're throwing my way is nothing to sneeze at. Though, I got into U of Denver and am still waiting on some other better schools. I just worry about the employment prospects coming out of Quinnipiac. Especially in the NE which is so littered with law schools and CT alone has UConn and Yale right next door, and a slew of other New England schools competing in the CT market.
IMO, if you go to QU, you better be confident about your abilities to do well. I know I am, so it doesn't phase me as much.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:48 pm

joncrooshal wrote:IMO, if you go to QU, you better be confident about your abilities to do well. I know I am, so it doesn't phase me as much.
To what do you ascribe this confidence to? Prior success in law school? Law school is a whole different ballgame, and it doesn't matter what you did in undergrad or what you got on the LSAT. You do realize that 90% of the class thinks they will be in the top 10% and is "confident" in themselves, right? Hard work and above average intelligence is not enough. It's about who figures it out the fastest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:
joncrooshal wrote:IMO, if you go to QU, you better be confident about your abilities to do well. I know I am, so it doesn't phase me as much.
To what do you ascribe this confidence to? Prior success in law school? Law school is a whole different ballgame, and it doesn't matter what you did in undergrad or what you got on the LSAT. You do realize that 90% of the class thinks they will be in the top 10% and is "confident" in themselves, right? Hard work and above average intelligence is not enough. It's about who figures it out the fastest.

I am sick of hearing this. The most overused, jumping-on-the-bandwagon TLS phrase ever. It DOES matter how you did in undergrad, and on the LSAT. If you did well on the LSAT, it is likelier that you will do well on law school exams. The LSAT was just a random conglomeration of crap that we had to adapt to. This adaptability suggests that you can adapt to other tests, such as law school exams. Doing well in law school may not be as clear cut as in undergrad, but there still exist certain patterns of success.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:50 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote: To what do you ascribe this confidence to? Prior success in law school? Law school is a whole different ballgame, and it doesn't matter what you did in undergrad or what you got on the LSAT. You do realize that 90% of the class thinks they will be in the top 10% and is "confident" in themselves, right? Hard work and above average intelligence is not enough. It's about who figures it out the fastest.
Actually, I did terrible in undergrad the first few years, but I am one of the best I know in problem solving and finding forks in the road in problems. Being a bio major really helped out there, I would say.

I will go on being confident (borderline cocky, even) and you can keep telling me "it doesn't matter".

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:53 pm

gothamm wrote:I am sick of hearing this. The most overused, jumping-on-the-bandwagon TLS phrase ever. It DOES matter how you did in undergrad, and on the LSAT. If you did well on the LSAT, it is likelier that you will do well on law school exams. The LSAT was just a random conglomeration of crap that we had to adapt to. This adaptability suggests that you can adapt to other tests, such as law school exams. Doing well in law school may not be as clear cut as in undergrad, but there still exist certain patterns of success.
I really, really should have studied for the LSATs. I think I screwed myself on that, but I was working on putting my senior seminar together during the time and studying for finals, so they ended up taking most of my time and effort rather than studying on the LSAT. Probably the wrong choice, but I made Dean's List and finished up my minor. Ended up doing 3 or 4 practice problems before the test to know what I was going into. Pretty sure if I put in effort I would've ended up about 7-8 points higher (maybe a 166 or 167) than I was.

smartblonde87

Bronze

Post by smartblonde87 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Overall, I was thoroughly impressed with my recent visit - their faculty is extraordinarily well stacked (all from top 10 schools/Oxford/Cambridge) and I can't imagine how amazing the quality of life is at this school becaue of the attitude and environment. Their recruitment efforts were top notch... I have no doubt in future years Quinnipiac will climb in the ranks. Unfortunately, I do not believe the school is the right fit for me. I will likely be withdrawing in the next week or so and freeing up some serious scholarship $$$. Best of luck to you all.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”