Loyola - New Orleans

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dey206

Re: Loyola - New Orleans

Postby dey206 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:09 pm

I was there....It was better than the last one. But still kind of random. They were pretty positive and tried to answer all of the questions quickly and thoroughly I would say.

Samuel Jackson

Postby Samuel Jackson » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:21 pm

dey206 wrote:I was there....It was better than the last one. But still kind of random. They were pretty positive and tried to answer all of the questions quickly and thoroughly I would say.

Yeah. It was pretty decent. But I wish it would have been more organized as well. I also felt as if they dodged a few questions, but maybe that's just me. Overall... it was helpful.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:54 pm

Samuel Jackson wrote:
dey206 wrote:I was there....It was better than the last one. But still kind of random. They were pretty positive and tried to answer all of the questions quickly and thoroughly I would say.

Yeah. It was pretty decent. But I wish it would have been more organized as well. I also felt as if they dodged a few questions, but maybe that's just me. Overall... it was helpful.

Yes they did. But they had to keep things positive due to the nature of the event-to get students to attend. Seems like if you send an email/call they would respond more openly. I could tell they didn't want the madness like last time lol.

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am

Were there any questions/answers that stand out as new, interesting, or pertinent?

The last one was 95% questions that were easily answered with five minutes of searching the school or LSAC’s website.

bumbumbum87

Postby bumbumbum87 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:22 pm

halito wrote:
dey206 wrote:
cartercl wrote:Has anyone received the Loyola Diversity Grant Scholarship yet? I'm wondering how much it is worth.

+1

39K per year (basically full tuition) as long as you maintain a 2.6... goes down incrementally from there.

Where did you get this number from? Mine was for $10000 a year. That would be bullshit if just because you're black or hispanic, you get to go to law school for free. The only people who should get a full ride to any school they want are Native Americans.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:20 pm

bumbumbum87 wrote:Where did you get this number from? Mine was for $10000 a year. That would be bullshit if just because you're black or hispanic, you get to go to law school for free. The only people who should get a full ride to any school they want are Native Americans.

Seriously dude? Just stop before this goes any further.

Were there any questions/answers that stand out as new, interesting, or pertinent?

The last one was 95% questions that were easily answered with five minutes of searching the school or LSAC’s website.

I think some of the more interesting points they made were:

1) That Loyola could possibly be better for working in New Orleans than LSU due to a loyal alumni network. (I'm not sure how true that is, however.)

2) That students from Loyola can land a clerkship with an Article III Federal judge (Not sure if I'm sold on that fact either)

There's probably some other stuff too. If you asked me a specific question I could probably remember.

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 pm

cartercl wrote:Loyola could possibly be better for working in New Orleans than LSU due to a loyal alumni network. (I'm not sure how true that is, however.)

I’ve always found that to be a chicken before the egg argument that the school leaves intentionally unanswered. There are just too many ways to put a negative or a positive spin on that without data that only Loyno would have access too.

Did anybody ask about merit aid negotiation?

dey206

Postby dey206 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:23 pm

bumbumbum87 wrote:
halito wrote:
dey206 wrote:
cartercl wrote:Has anyone received the Loyola Diversity Grant Scholarship yet? I'm wondering how much it is worth.

+1

39K per year (basically full tuition) as long as you maintain a 2.6... goes down incrementally from there.

Where did you get this number from? Mine was for $10000 a year. That would be bullshit if just because you're black or hispanic, you get to go to law school for free. The only people who should get a full ride to any school they want are Native Americans.

Dean Allison Davis said the Diversity Scholarship varies with each applicant. So it depends, I guess some people can get a full ride.

I noticed there were quite a few other people being considered for this scholarship so I'm not sure of my chances anymore :?

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 pm

BLin98 wrote:
cartercl wrote:Loyola could possibly be better for working in New Orleans than LSU due to a loyal alumni network. (I'm not sure how true that is, however.)

I’ve always found that to be a chicken before the egg argument that the school leaves intentionally unanswered. There are just too many ways to put a negative or a positive spin on that without data that only Loyno would have access too.

Not sure what you mean, but they definitely answered it and that was their response. Nothing on merit aid negotiation that I'm aware of. They did say to call for any further questions though.

mkr5u

Postby mkr5u » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I also attended the chat last night. I thought they dodged the "employment outside NOLA/LA" question a bit. It's a valid one though.

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:40 pm

cartercl wrote:
BLin98 wrote:

Not sure what you mean, but they definitely answered it and that was their response. Nothing on merit aid negotiation that I'm aware of. They did say to call for any further questions though.

Think about it like an LSAT question.

Loyola has a large alumni network in the New Orleans Area. This statement best supports which of the following?

A. Loyola graduates have better career opportunities in the New Orleans area than other area law schools.
B. There are more Loyola graduates in the New Orleans area than those of other law schools.
C. Loyola graduates have a higher employment rate and average higher starting salaries in the New Orleans area than any other law schools.
D. Some Loyola graduates practice in the New Orleans area.
E. Loyola graduates often have difficulty finding employment outside of New Orleans.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:44 pm

BLin98 wrote:
Think about it like an LSAT question.

Loyola has a large alumni network in the New Orleans Area. This statement best supports which of the following?

A. Loyola graduates have better career opportunities in the New Orleans area than other area law schools.
B. There are more Loyola graduates in the New Orleans area than those of other law schools.
C. Loyola graduates have a higher employment rate and average higher starting salaries in the New Orleans area than any other law schools.
D. Some Loyola graduates practice in the New Orleans area.
E. Loyola graduates often have difficulty finding employment outside of New Orleans.

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I just didn't get the chicken/egg description, I suppose. And I'm definitely not saying they are right. Like I said, I don't believe that statement to be true. (Is it possible though? Maybe.) I agree with you.

They did say that they won't come to a final decision on Diversity Grant Scholarships until April 7th. I guess it's pretty reasonable to think that they won't know how much money they have to negotiate with until after then, but it's worth a shot. Are you still considering Loyola?

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Depends on how receptive they are, or how desperate really. My numbers aren't stellar and I am not an URM, but I can't justify spending about $20k more a year for Loyno vs. in-state @ LSU.

LSU Lawless

Postby LSU Lawless » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
LSU Lawless wrote:
Lily 7174 wrote:Got accepted with a $29,000 per year scholarship to Loyola. Still haven't heard from Tulane and LSU.

Still debating whether I would give up my scholarship from Loyola to go to a higher ranked school (Tulane and LSU) if i were accepted with no scholarship.

Tulane's sticker price makes me wonder if it's REALLY worth choosing over LSU or loyola.

Well, the last time I checked the stat's Loyola had a better bar passage rate than LSU. That may be what's most important as if a concept that I've heard expressed multiple times is true, the first year of law school is anyone really needs anyhow. So, why pay more for two years more of what essentially could be merely fluff?

Somebody mentioned the Loyola buildings being much nicer - that doesn't hold true for the law school unless they've major improvements. For instance, to get to the upper floors of Loyola a student would have the option of a small elevator or a narrow stairwell. Travel to the upper floors was quite conjested. Over at Tulane law the options to get to the upper floor were multiple elevators or a nice wide open staircase. The student lounge at Loyola had been an approximate 16 foot squre room, cluttered with stuff, whereas the lounge at Tulane was an approximate uncluttered 20 x 40 room.

I never entered a Tulane lecture hall or classroom, but I can tell you the lecture halls or classrooms at Loyola are quite cramped as compared to LSU.

Of all three law libraries I do think that Tulane has the best laid out library. Soon after you've entered and have passed the circulation desk the room containing the Reporters is directly ahead with privacy carrells positioned around the exterior walls. If you take the left just before the circulation desk you'll enter a nice room with collections of statutes, CFR's and so forth distributed around the walls with a larger central area filled with comfortable chairs, desks and reading lamps.
To be continued...

Whoa whoa...

LSU has the best bar passage rate in the state. Every time. Tulane is usually really close to LSU in terms of bar passage (generally less than 5% difference), but doesn't eclipse it. Loyola is always the lowest of the three (but better than Southern). This is the case, in part, because LSU mandates that all of its students take both civil and law while Loyola/Tulane don't. Southern, however, requires students to take civil law with the option of taking common law courses.

Loyola's facilities, in my opinion, leave something to be desired. I believe they converted a conservatory (or something like that) into the law school. Tulane's facilities are better primarily because the building was built to accommodate a law school. Southern's are okay, sort of on par with Loyola (it feels like a high school building though). I've never been to LSU's law school, so I can't comment on that.

Well, I did say the last time I checked - which would have been some years ago. I'm certain I read that Loyola beat them, at least once in the past ten years. That one time may have been the only time I ever checked it out. Tulane beat LSU last February, according to this article :http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2010/04/19/tulane-law-school-posts-highest-bar-exam-passage-rate-in-february/

J21

Postby J21 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Accepted on 3/2, applied rather late. Anyone know what the scholarship situation looks like at Loyola? 155, 3.33.

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Accepted 03/07/11 via status checker and packet in the mail.

First acceptance so far; 2 WL and still under review at 4 others.

Has anyone made a definite decision to attend?

bayougrl26

Postby bayougrl26 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:47 pm

LSU Lawless wrote:
Well, I did say the last time I checked - which would have been some years ago. I'm certain I read that Loyola beat them, at least once in the past ten years. That one time may have been the only time I ever checked it out. Tulane beat LSU last February, according to this article :http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/blog/2010/04/19/tulane-law-school-posts-highest-bar-exam-passage-rate-in-february/

Loyola has not beaten LSU, at least since 2001.
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/50
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/53

Tulane and LSU have gone back and forth over the last ten years or so, with Loyola a consistent third and Southern bringing up the rear.

mr_pink

Postby mr_pink » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 pm

Anyone know if relatives can go to the open house or is it for students only? When you rsvp you can select up to 9 people in your party but I'm not sure if they should go

LSU Lawless

Postby LSU Lawless » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:35 pm

bayougrl26 wrote:
LSU Lawless wrote:

Loyola has not beaten LSU, at least since 2001.
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/50
http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/view.php/53

Tulane and LSU have gone back and forth over the last ten years or so, with Loyola a consistent third and Southern bringing up the rear.

So, you think New Orleans City Business got it wrong, or the Louisiana Bar Association - the referenced authority - got it wrong? Or am I misreading the article, or are you from an alternate univers?e

bayougrl26

Postby bayougrl26 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:56 am

Yes, you are misreading my post. What part of Tulane and LSU have gone back and forth wasn't clear? Sometimes Tulane beats LSU and sometimes LSU beats Tulane. But Loyola never beats either school.

LSU Lawless

Postby LSU Lawless » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:33 am

bayougrl26 wrote:Yes, you are misreading my post. What part of Tulane and LSU have gone back and forth wasn't clear? Sometimes Tulane beats LSU and sometimes LSU beats Tulane. But Loyola never beats either school.

I misread your post.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:58 am

anybody admitted with a "scholarship consideration" hear back ye?

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:16 am

dey206 wrote:anybody admitted with a "scholarship consideration" hear back ye?

It was stated a while back, during the online chat, that the committee wouldn't make a decision on that scholarship until April 7th.

dey206

Postby dey206 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:23 am

Oh I thought they said that we would hear back no later than April 1st. So I was thinking by now someone had something. But ok.

LawBound11

Postby LawBound11 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone know if the first seat deposit (April 1st) is binding? I was going to call and find out, but thought I'd check here just in case.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”