Loyola - New Orleans

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gregthomas77

Re: Loyola - New Orleans

Postby gregthomas77 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:12 pm

jtb00711 wrote:Admitted today via snail mail.

Stats?

jtb00711

Postby jtb00711 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:29 am

gregthomas77 wrote:
jtb00711 wrote:Admitted today via snail mail.

Stats?

153/3.68 OOS

BLin98

Postby BLin98 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:40 am

The online chat last night went ok.

They were either not willing or not able to produce any kind of recent employment/salary information besides quoting that 95% employment number. Would not provide a break down of what type of employment and what % were actually employed in the practice of law. None of the 2L on the chat responded about their summer employment prospects. I got the clear impression that this subject was not something they are willing to discuss.

Loved the guy that kept asking about in state vs. out of state tuition.

No transcript up yet from the chat that I can find. I am sure someone will post it here once it is available.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:07 am

Oh! I missed the on-line chat last night. I got a great scholarship, so Loyola is at the top of my list right now. Sad to hear about the discussion about employment; the overwhelming opinion I have heard is that Loyola has great career prospects and that the graduates have pretty decent options in Louisiana and Texas. I know everyone is being hurt ITE, but they should be forthcoming about that.

Did anyone glean any other useful information from the chat?

gator6589

Postby gator6589 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:18 am

emhellmer wrote:Oh! I missed the on-line chat last night. I got a great scholarship, so Loyola is at the top of my list right now. Sad to hear about the discussion about employment; the overwhelming opinion I have heard is that Loyola has great career prospects and that the graduates have pretty decent options in Louisiana and Texas. I know everyone is being hurt ITE, but they should be forthcoming about that.

I noticed you have similar numbers to me and I was wondering if you mind sharing your scholarship amount? Im waiting I applied early jan

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:40 pm

gator6589 wrote:
emhellmer wrote:Oh! I missed the on-line chat last night. I got a great scholarship, so Loyola is at the top of my list right now. Sad to hear about the discussion about employment; the overwhelming opinion I have heard is that Loyola has great career prospects and that the graduates have pretty decent options in Louisiana and Texas. I know everyone is being hurt ITE, but they should be forthcoming about that.

I noticed you have similar numbers to me and I was wondering if you mind sharing your scholarship amount? Im waiting I applied early jan

PMed. Also, the stipulations were pretty reasonable; if you fall below 3.0, you can still keep 75% of the scholarship, and if you fall below 2.7 you can get your scholarship back as long as you bring your grades back up.

hanthorn79

Postby hanthorn79 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:38 am

I have currently narrowed my choices to Vermont Law School and Loyola University NO. I am interested in Environmental Law, which gives VLS a big plus over Loyola NO, but my issue with VLS is the location. I lived in a country setting in Ohio before and hated it. I get to bored in isolated locations. I attended a campus visit of the Loyola and loved it! Should I still go to VLS because of the great Environmental Law program there or should I attend Loyola? Any suggestions on my decision?

Also if I go to Loyola, I am up in the air on deciding between civil and common law. Any advice?

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:26 am

hanthorn79 wrote:I have currently narrowed my choices to Vermont Law School and Loyola University NO. I am interested in Environmental Law, which gives VLS a big plus over Loyola NO, but my issue with VLS is the location. I lived in a country setting in Ohio before and hated it. I get to bored in isolated locations. I attended a campus visit of the Loyola and loved it! Should I still go to VLS because of the great Environmental Law program there or should I attend Loyola? Any suggestions on my decision?

Also if I go to Loyola, I am up in the air on deciding between civil and common law. Any advice?

I don't know anything about Vermont, but I suspect that there is A LOT of environment-related opportunity in New Orleans. The wetland preservation efforts are always in process, there is a mess of the BP oil spill, and New Orleans is right down the road from an area affectionately referred to as "cancer alley" because of all the pollution. Tulane is known for it environmental law program, and I'd imagine that part of the reason they have developed it is because of the demand in South Louisiana. I could be wrong; this is all speculation based on what I know about South Louisiana, but you might want to look into the post-law school opportunities in both areas (as they are both regional schools) as you evaluate your options.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:35 am

FYI - Loyola NO curves low - so be careful.

I'm not one of those people that's going to derail this positive thread by talking about 1) the legal economy, 2) tier 3 schools, or 3) employment from Loyola NO specifically.

However, you all on scholarship need to be aware that the school curves low and that the odds of having a gpa of 3.0 or higher at the end of any given semester is extremely low.

Other than that, Loyola NO is a great school. My gf goes there so PM me if you have some questions about it. However, be aware that I myself do not attend there and therefore I'm not qualified to answer some questions.

hanthorn79

Postby hanthorn79 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:02 pm

emhellmer wrote:
hanthorn79 wrote:I have currently narrowed my choices to Vermont Law School and Loyola University NO. I am interested in Environmental Law, which gives VLS a big plus over Loyola NO, but my issue with VLS is the location. I lived in a country setting in Ohio before and hated it. I get to bored in isolated locations. I attended a campus visit of the Loyola and loved it! Should I still go to VLS because of the great Environmental Law program there or should I attend Loyola? Any suggestions on my decision?

I don't know anything about Vermont, but I suspect that there is A LOT of environment-related opportunity in New Orleans. The wetland preservation efforts are always in process, there is a mess of the BP oil spill, and New Orleans is right down the road from an area affectionately referred to as "cancer alley" because of all the pollution. Tulane is known for it environmental law program, and I'd imagine that part of the reason they have developed it is because of the demand in South Louisiana. I could be wrong; this is all speculation based on what I know about South Louisiana, but you might want to look into the post-law school opportunities in both areas (as they are both regional schools) as you evaluate your options.

VLS is national ranked #1 in environmental law which I figure would give a graduate more mobility nationally. This is my assumption anyway. I wish I got accepted to Tulane because I would definitely go there. I just wonder if Loyola would give me the same tools as VLS for practice in environmental law. I love New Orleans and interning there would be easier, especially sense my family is in Atlanta!

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:26 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:FYI - Loyola NO curves low - so be careful.

I'm not one of those people that's going to derail this positive thread by talking about 1) the legal economy, 2) tier 3 schools, or 3) employment from Loyola NO specifically.

However, you all on scholarship need to be aware that the school curves low and that the odds of having a gpa of 3.0 or higher at the end of any given semester is extremely low.

Other than that, Loyola NO is a great school. My gf goes there so PM me if you have some questions about it. However, be aware that I myself do not attend there and therefore I'm not qualified to answer some questions.

Well, I suspect we all know about the reality of the current legal economy, especially as it relates to graduates of less reputable schools. However, I have been operating under the impression that Loyola graduates have pretty good regional options. In fact, the word on the street as I understand it is that Loyola may even be a better option than Tulane as far as employment prospects in New Orleans are concerned, and that grads from Loyola also stand a good chance of placing in the Texas legal market. I haven't heard from Tulane yet, but I would be surprised if I were rejected. Would you advise one to consider Tulane over Loyola (for the sake of argument let's leave aside the debt considerations) if they wanted to have significantly better employment prospects in New Orleans/Houston?

I don't think your legitimate two cents on the matter would be uncalled for...those of us considering Loyola might well benefit from your input :D

Lily 7174

Postby Lily 7174 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 am

Got accepted with a $29,000 per year scholarship to Loyola. Still haven't heard from Tulane and LSU.

Still debating whether I would give up my scholarship from Loyola to go to a higher ranked school (Tulane and LSU) if i were accepted with no scholarship.

Tulane's sticker price makes me wonder if it's REALLY worth choosing over LSU or loyola.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:30 pm

emhellmer wrote:Would you advise one to consider Tulane over Loyola (for the sake of argument let's leave aside the debt considerations) if they wanted to have significantly better employment prospects in New Orleans/Houston?

I don't think your legitimate two cents on the matter would be uncalled for...those of us considering Loyola might well benefit from your input :D

I'm not familiar with how Loyola places in Texas. I do know that Tulane places a decent amount of students in Texas, however. If you were choosing between these two for opportunities in Texas, I would vote Tulane simply because many elite Texas firm offices come to campus and hire students. While my gf has not gone through fall OCI at Loyola, I doubt that Skadden, Fulbright, and Vinson (among others) visit Loyola. As unfortunate as it may or may not be, who comes to campus is an acceptable proxy of how that school is viewed in a particular market (especially if they come from out of state).

New Orleans is a different story. Many of the elite employers (not necessarily only the largest ones) in the city are interested in the top of each each class. As many students from either school will tell you, it is more difficult to get an elite job in New Orleans than getting one out of state. For example, someone may have a NLJ250/Vault/elite small/mid range firm offer in Texas/New York/Atlanta and still be snubbed by an elite small/mid/large firm here. It happens. Also note that some larger elite employers prefer graduates from one school over the other (re: Phelps Dunbar v. Jones Walker). The issue of preferences also affects elite smaller firms. Therefore, for those types of employers in state, the schools place similarly.

Smaller employers can go either way. Some love Tulane students, some love Loyola students, and some don't discriminate and look past where you attend school.

Therefore, the difference really comes into play when you bring in out of state employers.

PM me if you have any more questions.

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Really? Everything that I've seen points to a 3.0 curve.

antneymatt

Postby antneymatt » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Accepted with a 153/3.66 via status checker on 2/3. I received the 'completed' email on 1/10 so it was just over 3 weeks for a decision.

Any word if scholarship info is included in the snail mail acceptance letter? I hope.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

EricBerry wrote:

Really? Everything that I've seen points to a 3.0 curve.

If they did curve to a 3.0, which they don't, they would frequently had a higher median GPA than Tulane.

LSU Lawless

Postby LSU Lawless » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:22 pm

Lily 7174 wrote:Got accepted with a $29,000 per year scholarship to Loyola. Still haven't heard from Tulane and LSU.

Still debating whether I would give up my scholarship from Loyola to go to a higher ranked school (Tulane and LSU) if i were accepted with no scholarship.

Tulane's sticker price makes me wonder if it's REALLY worth choosing over LSU or loyola.

Well, the last time I checked the stat's Loyola had a better bar passage rate than LSU. That may be what's most important as if a concept that I've heard expressed multiple times is true, the first year of law school is anyone really needs anyhow. So, why pay more for two years more of what essentially could be merely fluff?

Somebody mentioned the Loyola buildings being much nicer - that doesn't hold true for the law school unless they've major improvements. For instance, to get to the upper floors of Loyola a student would have the option of a small elevator or a narrow stairwell. Travel to the upper floors was quite conjested. Over at Tulane law the options to get to the upper floor were multiple elevators or a nice wide open staircase. The student lounge at Loyola had been an approximate 16 foot squre room, cluttered with stuff, whereas the lounge at Tulane was an approximate uncluttered 20 x 40 room.

I never entered a Tulane lecture hall or classroom, but I can tell you the lecture halls or classrooms at Loyola are quite cramped as compared to LSU.

Of all three law libraries I do think that Tulane has the best laid out library. Soon after you've entered and have passed the circulation desk the room containing the Reporters is directly ahead with privacy carrells positioned around the exterior walls. If you take the left just before the circulation desk you'll enter a nice room with collections of statutes, CFR's and so forth distributed around the walls with a larger central area filled with comfortable chairs, desks and reading lamps. To be continued...

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:36 pm

In today via status checker (actually admitted on 2/3). Also under scholarship consideration.

daburrel

Postby daburrel » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:43 am

cartercl wrote:In today via status checker (actually admitted on 2/3). Also under scholarship consideration.

same here.....nothing about scholarship on status checker so it looks like "sticker" for me if I wanna attend (I do), unless I get some better schools acceptances.

cooper17

Postby cooper17 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 am

does anyone know what Loyola's actual curve is..or their mean grade for 1Ls as of this past year? Just to say that "it's low" doesnt help...

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:24 pm

cooper17 wrote:does anyone know what Loyola's actual curve is..or their mean grade for 1Ls as of this past year? Just to say that "it's low" doesnt help...

+1

gator6589

Postby gator6589 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Loyola NOLA was never on the top of my list at the begining of the cycle. Now I was admitted with a full scholarship which is becoming to hard to pass up. How are peoples feelings on the school is the full ride worth taking over a Top 50-80 ranked school at sticker or half price? What Loyolas reputation like?

EricBerry

Postby EricBerry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

gator6589 wrote:Loyola NOLA was n[list=]ever on the top of my list at the begining of the cycle. Now I was admitted with a full scholarship which is becoming to hard to pass up. How are peoples feelings on the school is the full ride worth taking over a Top 50-80 ranked school at sticker or half price? What Loyolas reputation like?

I'm in the exact same boat except my scholly isn't quite a full scholly. I'm also considering schools like Mizzou (with 10k/year), Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. I love New Orleans and Loyola itself but I want some real feedback from students regarding the curve and job prospects in the city. I'm also worried about developing an inferiority complex with Tulane right down the street. The idea of living in New Orleans is exciting and all, but I don't want to graduate in the top 30% and end up chasing ambulances in Metairie.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:35 pm

LSU Lawless wrote:
Lily 7174 wrote:Got accepted with a $29,000 per year scholarship to Loyola. Still haven't heard from Tulane and LSU.

Well, the last time I checked the stat's Loyola had a better bar passage rate than LSU. That may be what's most important as if a concept that I've heard expressed multiple times is true, the first year of law school is anyone really needs anyhow. So, why pay more for two years more of what essentially could be merely fluff?

Somebody mentioned the Loyola buildings being much nicer - that doesn't hold true for the law school unless they've major improvements. For instance, to get to the upper floors of Loyola a student would have the option of a small elevator or a narrow stairwell. Travel to the upper floors was quite conjested. Over at Tulane law the options to get to the upper floor were multiple elevators or a nice wide open staircase. The student lounge at Loyola had been an approximate 16 foot squre room, cluttered with stuff, whereas the lounge at Tulane was an approximate uncluttered 20 x 40 room.

I never entered a Tulane lecture hall or classroom, but I can tell you the lecture halls or classrooms at Loyola are quite cramped as compared to LSU.

Of all three law libraries I do think that Tulane has the best laid out library. Soon after you've entered and have passed the circulation desk the room containing the Reporters is directly ahead with privacy carrells positioned around the exterior walls. If you take the left just before the circulation desk you'll enter a nice room with collections of statutes, CFR's and so forth distributed around the walls with a larger central area filled with comfortable chairs, desks and reading lamps.
To be continued...

Whoa whoa...

LSU has the best bar passage rate in the state. Every time. Tulane is usually really close to LSU in terms of bar passage (generally less than 5% difference), but doesn't eclipse it. Loyola is always the lowest of the three (but better than Southern). This is the case, in part, because LSU mandates that all of its students take both civil and law while Loyola/Tulane don't. Southern, however, requires students to take civil law with the option of taking common law courses.

Loyola's facilities, in my opinion, leave something to be desired. I believe they converted a conservatory (or something like that) into the law school. Tulane's facilities are better primarily because the building was built to accommodate a law school. Southern's are okay, sort of on par with Loyola (it feels like a high school building though). I've never been to LSU's law school, so I can't comment on that.

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:40 pm

EricBerry wrote:
gator6589 wrote:Loyola NOLA was n[list=]ever on the top of my list at the begining of the cycle. Now I was admitted with a full scholarship which is becoming to hard to pass up. How are peoples feelings on the school is the full ride worth taking over a Top 50-80 ranked school at sticker or half price? What Loyolas reputation like?

I'm in the exact same boat except my scholly isn't quite a full scholly. I'm also considering schools like Mizzou (with 10k/year), Kentucky, Tennessee, and Ole Miss. I love New Orleans and Loyola itself but I want some real feedback from students regarding the curve and job prospects in the city. I'm also worried about developing an inferiority complex with Tulane right down the street. The idea of living in New Orleans is exciting and all, but I don't want to graduate in the top 30% and end up chasing ambulances in Metairie.

+1 on this.

I'm in at LSU and expecting to hear back from Tulane pretty soon, so I would like to know how Loyola fares in New Orleans in case I get enough scholly money to rival LSU's in-state tuition. I want to move to New Orleans after graduation from law school and I would like to know if Loyola might have a slight edge over LSU in New Orleans (though I seriously doubt it, I'm not certain). Not looking for anything scientific here...

Also: What does "Committee Accept DGS Eligible" mean on status checker under mailings? Anyone else get this?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”