Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChrisP

Re: Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Postby ChrisP » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:44 pm

The distance between CUNY School of Law and Manhattan maybe an hour if you are walking there.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:57 pm

MP24 wrote:I've spent my entire life living in various parts of NYC so I'm very familiar with the location. The other thing with CUNY Queens that I didn't like is that it is not really in a city...it's more of a suburban area. And the distance from Manhattan is a good hour-long commute.

Is this your first time at a CUNY school? If you have, how could you have been that surprised by its appearance? ;)

Suburban for New York maybe...but it's still one of the five boroughs...plop Flushing into almost any other state and it would probably be the largest city.

Bottom line, IMHO, don't judge a book by its cover. :D

MP24

Postby MP24 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:22 pm

ChrisP wrote:The distance between CUNY School of Law and Manhattan maybe an hour if you are walking there.

How would you do it quicker? If you are coming from Manhattan, you either have to take the subway to Jamaica station and then transfer to a public bus or take the LIRR to Jamaica and transfer to a bus. I suppose the LIRR route would be shorter but more expensive.

kenzembo1

Postby kenzembo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:02 pm

MP24 wrote:Well, to clarify, my opinion is based on being a New Yorker. I've spent my entire life living in various parts of NYC so I'm very familiar with the location. The other thing with CUNY Queens that I didn't like is that it is not really in a city...it's more of a suburban area. And the distance from Manhattan is a good hour-long commute.

Really? Looking at the school's 'Quality of Life' superlative on this very site it says quote, "The law school is situated in one of the world’s greatest cities, only a brief subway ride away from Manhattan." Here's the link: http://www.top-law-schools.com/cuny-law.html

Again, I'm not native to New York (although I've been there more than a few times) so I don't know how accurate this is. With the city's current subway and mass transit system, I have a hard time believing it's more than a five minute walk to the nearest train station and from there, a ten minute commute to Manhattan/Times Square.

kenzembo1

Postby kenzembo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:13 pm

MP24 wrote:
ChrisP wrote:The distance between CUNY School of Law and Manhattan maybe an hour if you are walking there.

How would you do it quicker? If you are coming from Manhattan, you either have to take the subway to Jamaica station and then transfer to a public bus or take the LIRR to Jamaica and transfer to a bus. I suppose the LIRR route would be shorter but more expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a subway pass if you're commuting back and forth from Manhattan on a daily basis? I can't imagine buying a subway pass (for the month) would be any more expensive than commuting by car where you have to factor in gas, insurance, parking, etc.

I had a cousin that promptly sold his car (to me :D ) after he accepted a teaching job at Columbia this past year. If I went to school in NYC, I would probably do the same.

Queens_Finest

Postby Queens_Finest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:33 pm

you need to take the 7 train to MAIN STREET and then take a bus. it is about 1/2 hr - 45 mins from from manhattan to there......Taking the LIRR is waste of money, also you can take the E/F to Kew Gardens and then a bus from there that runs down main street. :)

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am

Subway all the way...a monthly pass is $104 and you can use it as many times as you want! Besides...look at the commute time as extra time to read read read!

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 pm

denied. 153/2.88

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Chris...how did they break the news to you?

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm

status checker.

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:17 pm

I was accepted to Touro and Albany so I'll live. Good luck to everyone.

thissideofsteinway

Postby thissideofsteinway » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:40 pm

kenzembo1 wrote:Again, I'm not native to New York (although I've been there more than a few times) so I don't know how accurate this is. With the city's current subway and mass transit system, I have a hard time believing it's more than a five minute walk to the nearest train station and from there, a ten minute commute to Manhattan/Times Square.

This will be true with the new LIC campus, but as Queens_Finest spelled out, it's currently a bit of a hike.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:39 pm

MP24 wrote:

I just want to second that it takes a long time from Manhattan. I was late to my scheduled visit in January because it took me AN HOUR AND A HALF to get there from the Upper West Side of Manhattan because the 7 was incredibly slow that day, twice just sitting on the tracks for no particular reason. I know that happens on all train lines, but seriously, this was really bad. I was glad I was at least above ground so I could call the admissions office to tell them I'd be late.
I found the E train route through Forest Hills much quicker, a mere 45 mins/1 hour to 96th St. No matter which train you choose, you will have to take a bus.
Also, I've lived in New York for a while and was stunned by how remote the current location seemed. But it's not too far of a bus ride or perhaps a walk to get to some stores, and maybe there were some others around the corner - I don't know Queens well at all.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:24 pm

Status checker changed to today's date, but I'm still in review...anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

Cwarrior57

Postby Cwarrior57 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I called today and they just sent a bunch of apps to be reviewed by staff today. So u should get a response in a week or so.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Status checker changed to today's date, but I'm still in review...anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

Sounds like it means your application went into review today...I think it's neutral as far as "signs" go ;)

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Kurt...when did your application go into review?

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:25 pm

LSATtom wrote:Kurt...when did your application go into review?

Originally November, then January, then today...it's been a long wait haha

merfman

Postby merfman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Denied today via status checker (158/3.40) somewhat surprised, but not upset since I got into other, much better schools. Was in review since 12/03.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:06 pm

Those are some strong numbers...are you a recent undergrad or do you have work experience?

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Those are strong numbers. I wonder why you were denied.

Queens_Finest

Postby Queens_Finest » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:27 pm

I emailed them and received this response "Unfortunately, our admissions committee does not have a set time-frame that details how long an applicant can be expected to wait for a decision once an application has gone under review. Our admissions process is very thorough. Generally, all of our admissions decisions are made by June.

Sincerely,
The Staff of the Admissions Office
CUNY Law School"

pretty vague right?

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Queens_Finest wrote:I emailed them and received this response "Unfortunately, our admissions committee does not have a set time-frame that details how long an applicant can be expected to wait for a decision once an application has gone under review. Our admissions process is very thorough. Generally, all of our admissions decisions are made by June.

Sincerely,
The Staff of the Admissions Office
CUNY Law School"

pretty vague right?

That's weird. I emailed them too, and they said I'd probably hear soon.

merfman

Postby merfman » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm an older student...returning to school after a 10+ year career in entertainment marketing/licensing. I got into Seton Hall, Rutgers, Hofstra, and others, so I'm surprised not to get in at CUNY. Maybe it's because I'm from out of state or because I don't have a past filled with public interest/not for profit experience.

kenzembo1

Postby kenzembo1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Does anyone know if CUNY has binding early decision? I'm applying next cycle and this is one of the schools I'm strongly considering.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”