Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChrisP

Re: Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Postby ChrisP » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:58 am

I have been in review for a little over a month with no answer.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:40 pm

My application just went into "under review" status on the 25th...

As far as the long wait - they did extend their deadline just recently from 3/15 to 4/15...so that may have something to do with it...

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:22 pm

I have been in review since 2/25. I wonder why they extended the deadline.

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 pm

This is CRAZY...I have literally been waiting for 5 months for an answer!!!! :x

J21

Postby J21 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:48 am

I had to commit somewhere else because they are taking so long, CUNY was originally my top choice...

IHaveLawyers

Postby IHaveLawyers » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:58 am

Honikane wrote:This is CRAZY...I have literally been waiting for 5 months for an answer!!!! :x

Yes, the wait is killing me.

I notice you got into St. Johns and WL at Hofstra, you seem to be below their LSAT median - do you think your app has huge softs? Also did you apply PT or FT?

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:26 am

I applied PT but I have over 10 years work experience so I am hoping that works in my favor for CUNY.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:37 am

ChrisP wrote:I have been in review since 2/25. I wonder why they extended the deadline.

They probably have a lot of unfilled seats...

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:52 am

LSATtom wrote:
ChrisP wrote:I have been in review since 2/25. I wonder why they extended the deadline.

They probably have a lot of unfilled seats...

Then they should let me in!!!

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:54 am

I hear ya! They are probably waiting to see what kind of stock of prospective applicants they have before making a decision on anyone's application. Hence the long wait. But I think at this point, things should start moving faster now as we get closer to the deadline...

I think this heightens our chances since they have a smaller pool to work with!

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 am

LSATtom wrote:I hear ya! They are probably waiting to see what kind of stock of prospective applicants they have before making a decision on anyone's application. Hence the long wait. But I think at this point, things should start moving faster now as we get closer to the deadline...

I think this heightens our chances since they have a smaller pool to work with!

Just received an email from someone in admissions who said that a decision should be rendered within the next 5 weeks! :shock:

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:48 am

wow

Queens_Finest

Postby Queens_Finest » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:30 pm

Mine has been in review since 2/4/2011-- called them and i was told this was "normal" when I asked for an estimate of when i will hear a decision I was told "by June" - SMH!

LSAT: 152
GPA: 3.0

10 years work exp and 3 years in a top firm.....totally blows! :evil:

lkay

Postby lkay » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:42 pm

something is fishy with them...my status did not go under review until I emailed them questioning my status. 24 hours later it went under review.

ChrisP

Postby ChrisP » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:24 am

Any updates?

Queens_Finest

Postby Queens_Finest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:52 pm

Still nothing.....

did anyone else apply to NY Law School? I applied there also but i just dont think that i could spend the $35k per year on for a school on par with CUNY Law.....

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:21 pm

Queens_Finest wrote:Still nothing.....

did anyone else apply to NY Law School? I applied there also but i just dont think that i could spend the $35k per year on for a school on par with CUNY Law.....

Are you doing public interest and plan on staying in it?

Queens_Finest

Postby Queens_Finest » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:25 pm

Queens_Finest wrote:
Still nothing.....

Are you doing public interest and plan on staying in it?

Yes i am in it to work for the DAs office in one of the five boroughs.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:01 pm

Well, if it's any consolation, NYLS has some form of LRAP, and the federal gov't has ICR plans that will help you out with monthly payments. Then, after 10 years or 120 payments (if you stay in public interest), your debt goes bye bye. That helps if you have to end up going to a school that has ridiculous tuition rates.

kenzembo1

Postby kenzembo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:48 am

Lawst wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So I was looking at the budget on their website, and am I the only person who thinks the budget for rent/housing is incredibly low?

Yeah, if I remember correctly, didn't it work out to like $700 a mo. for rent, which I would think would be hard to find even in Queens. And they expected that you would have roommates? That's weird because they tend to attract older students compared to some other schools, and I don't think most people over 25 are into having roomies, even in New York. I may be going back to school, but at age 37, I do NOT share bathrooms, thanks.
All kind of a moot point for me though, because I withdrew. I was excited about CUNY until I went to visit. Yikes.

What was it about your visit that contributed to your decision to ultimately withdraw? I'm curious because I'm not a NY native but I'm interested in attending CUNY because of their strong PI program...every year it garners more of a positive reputation.

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:59 am

kenzembo1 wrote:
Lawst wrote:
Jessuf wrote:So I was looking at the budget on their website, and am I the only person who thinks the budget for rent/housing is incredibly low?

Yeah, if I remember correctly, didn't it work out to like $700 a mo. for rent, which I would think would be hard to find even in Queens. And they expected that you would have roommates? That's weird because they tend to attract older students compared to some other schools, and I don't think most people over 25 are into having roomies, even in New York. I may be going back to school, but at age 37, I do NOT share bathrooms, thanks.
All kind of a moot point for me though, because I withdrew. I was excited about CUNY until I went to visit. Yikes.

What was it about your visit that contributed to your decision to ultimately withdraw? I'm curious because I'm not a NY native but I'm interested in attending CUNY because of their strong PI program...every year it garners more of a positive reputation.

I'm guessing the facilities...

kenzembo1

Postby kenzembo1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 am

overunderachiever wrote:
kenzembo1 wrote:
Lawst wrote:

I'm guessing the facilities...

I figured that, but what specifically? I mean, it had to be more than a dripping bathroom faucet for him to withdraw his acceptance.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:57 am

What was it about your visit that contributed to your decision to ultimately withdraw? I'm curious because I'm not a NY native but I'm interested in attending CUNY because of their strong PI program...every year it garners more of a positive reputation.[/quote]

I'm guessing the facilities...[/quote]

I figured that, but what specifically? I mean, it had to be more than a dripping bathroom faucet for him to withdraw his acceptance.[/quote]

I can't speak for why he withdrew but I withdrew last week from CUNY after having visited. It was most definitely due to the facilities. I knew they weren't going to be great as it was a public university but they were worse than I ever could have imagined so I'm extremely grateful that I looked at the school first. The school is currently located between a public high school and a public elementary school and is in the building that used to be the public middle school/junior high school. And that is exactly what it looked like - also there didn't appear to be any neighborhood around the school (no cafes/delis/etc.). Many of the students told me you needed a car although they would sometimes drive around for hours to find a parking space. Overall, it just didn't seem like it was going to be a good fit despite the great price. I sort of felt like you got what you paid for.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27 am

It's very obvious that the negative opinions of CUNY Law's facilities/appearance are from those not from New York...almost everyone has that type of culture shock when outsiders come to NYC. So keep that in mind when considering their position :)

As someone from New York (nothing surprises me;) ), allow me to describe my feelings when I checked out the school...

It is in a 100% typical working class Queens neighborhood...I didn't notice any cafes nearby, but it's NYC, how far do you think the closest bodega or coffee shop is?

As for the school's appearance, it is definitive CUNY. Every CUNY school has that aura about it. So that didn't phase me. The facilities that CUNY Law currently occupies was a former high school, so there is no grandeur to the environment...you never let me down, CUNY.

But did you know they are moving? Did you check out the new facilities under construction? --LinkRemoved--

The new CUNY Law will be smack in the center of Long Island City...and will be in a great location. The current location isn't terrible either - it's in NYC, and there's nothing that isn't within 20 minutes. Oh, and downtown Flushing is maybe 10 minutes away...good food there.

MP24

Postby MP24 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:37 pm

LSATtom wrote:It's very obvious that the negative opinions of CUNY Law's facilities/appearance are from those not from New York...almost everyone has that type of culture shock when outsiders come to NYC. So keep that in mind when considering their position :)

As someone from New York (nothing surprises me;) ), allow me to describe my feelings when I checked out the school...

It is in a 100% typical working class Queens neighborhood...I didn't notice any cafes nearby, but it's NYC, how far do you think the closest bodega or coffee shop is?

As for the school's appearance, it is definitive CUNY. Every CUNY school has that aura about it. So that didn't phase me. The facilities that CUNY Law currently occupies was a former high school, so there is no grandeur to the environment...you never let me down, CUNY.

But did you know they are moving? Did you check out the new facilities under construction? --LinkRemoved--

The new CUNY Law will be smack in the center of Long Island City...and will be in a great location. The current location isn't terrible either - it's in NYC, and there's nothing that isn't within 20 minutes. Oh, and downtown Flushing is maybe 10 minutes away...good food there.

Well, to clarify, my opinion is based on being a New Yorker. I've spent my entire life living in various parts of NYC so I'm very familiar with the location. The other thing with CUNY Queens that I didn't like is that it is not really in a city...it's more of a suburban area. And the distance from Manhattan is a good hour-long commute.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”