Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Kurt Cobain

Re: Queens (CUNY) Law School Class of 2014

Postby Kurt Cobain » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:18 am

kenzembo1 wrote:Does anyone know if CUNY has binding early decision? I'm applying next cycle and this is one of the schools I'm strongly considering.

It doesn't. Or at least not this year.

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:01 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:Status checker changed to today's date, but I'm still in review...anyone know if this is a good or bad sign?

Mine as well...applied 10/20. Ready for Review on 1/24 now in review 4/7. This is crazy!

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:05 pm

I have informed CUNY (Queens) Law School i will not be attending, and i hope someone is freed from the waitlisted. I wish everyone the best of luck and hope you do well.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:08 pm

I've been checking my status every 5 minutes and still nothing! Has anyone heard back today?

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:40 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:I've been checking my status every 5 minutes and still nothing! Has anyone heard back today?

Nevermind, accepted!!!! So excited!!!!

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:I've been checking my status every 5 minutes and still nothing! Has anyone heard back today?

Congrats!! When did you apply and when did you go into review?

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Honikane wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

He addressed part of your question here (when he went into review): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140202&start=75#p4272416 :)

Kurt...do you mind sharing your lsac GPA and LSAT values? No worries otherwise :D

And a huge congratulations...that's so awesome! CUNY is no joke to get into...

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:51 pm

LSATtom wrote:
Honikane wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:

He addressed part of your question here (when he went into review): viewtopic.php?f=7&t=140202&start=75#p4272416 :)

Kurt...do you mind sharing your lsac GPA and LSAT values? No worries otherwise :D

And a huge congratulations...that's so awesome! CUNY is no joke to get into...

Thanks...hopefully they admit me next :D

overunderachiever

Postby overunderachiever » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Kurt Cobain wrote:

Will you be attending?

Postby 23402385985 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:10 pm

merfman wrote:Denied today via status checker (158/3.40) somewhat surprised, but not upset since I got into other, much better schools. Was in review since 12/03.

YP'd.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

Hey guys, I saw some questions for me, so here goes:

I applied on 10/2, went complete on 11/9, 1/11, and 4/7, and was accepted today. My GPA is 3.2, and my LSAT is 153. I wrote my PS on public interest and why I want to go to CUNY, so that probably gave me a boost. And I'll probably check it out this week, and unless I really hate it (which I'm sure I won't-I know and love the area), I'm pretty sure I'll be going.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:15 pm

Interesting...my scores are 2.99 GPA /154 LSAT...so it looks like the PS really winds up making the difference. I'm proud of the PS I sent CUNY (and made sure to answer all the PS guideline questions), so I'm hoping I've made my case.

Again, congrats...you're the envy of many prospective law students ;)

And the area is fine - you don't have the village down the block, but who will have time to futz around while in school?

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:44 pm

Sending in my deposit tonight :D I'm going to keep checking back...I wanna see you all there in the fall!

Jackie425

Postby Jackie425 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 pm

hey all, recently accepted into cuny and thinking it's where i'm going to be this fall! anyone here going straight from undergrad? i am and i'm worried that it's going to be difficult to find roommates at a small school with many adults/commuters. i live in staten island but don't want to deal with the commute so i'm looking to move to queens, doesn't seem like cuny has a good set up of connecting students with housing though..

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:11 pm

Jackie425 wrote:hey all, recently accepted into cuny and thinking it's where i'm going to be this fall! anyone here going straight from undergrad? i am and i'm worried that it's going to be difficult to find roommates at a small school with many adults/commuters. i live in staten island but don't want to deal with the commute so i'm looking to move to queens, doesn't seem like cuny has a good set up of connecting students with housing though..

Hey I'm going straight from undergrad! But I'm not looking for a roommate, sorry :(. From what I've seen on CL you can get a studio in the area for like 700-900 which isn't too bad.

Stew29

Postby Stew29 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:00 pm

What if someone did not want to pursue public interest after graduating but is interested in attending because of the cost? Would this be a bad move?

Cwarrior57

Postby Cwarrior57 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 am

Stew29 wrote:What if someone did not want to pursue public interest after graduating but is interested in attending because of the cost? Would this be a bad move?

I don't think it would be a wise choice. Cuny mandates public interest clinics and that's it's main purpose.

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Depends on what law you want to specialize in...you may want to get in touch with some CUNY grads and see what law they've specialized in, and how they transitioned from public service to whatever they practice now. I'm guessing it wouldn't be tragic to go the route you're planning, but I would do my homework to make sure.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:05 pm

Cwarrior57 wrote:
Stew29 wrote:What if someone did not want to pursue public interest after graduating but is interested in attending because of the cost? Would this be a bad move?

I don't think it would be a wise choice. Cuny mandates public interest clinics and that's it's main purpose.

That's actually not true, they don't even require you to do any clinics. Check out the employment data on CUNY's website: --LinkRemoved--, it lists the employers of recent grads. The majority are definitely in public interest/government, but there are some private firms, businesses, and schools on there.

AssociateX

Postby AssociateX » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:30 pm

Cwarrior57 wrote:

Yes, this is true. I applied to CUNY and was not accepted. I applied only because I needed a "safety" school and I lived only 10 min away from the school in Queens so thought "oh what the heck, lets just apply because I need a cheap safety school to include". CUNY was my ONLY rejection (save for Fordham of course which was a super reach based on my LSAT score), and when I got the letter I was confused so I called the Admissions Office to get an explanation. I was told "oh yea we loved your scores and the GPA was fine - but you forgot to write a Public Interest essay!! We didnt think you wanted to do PI based on your resume and interests listed, so we needed to accept applicants who demonstrate that...because of that, we had to deny you admission.."

Honestly, I wasn't upset. I think my lack of interest in PI was very obvious (I never worked for a non profit and the idea of being a Legal Aid attorney actually depressed me, I was all about the $$$$$$$ back then).

So take it from me - CUNY Law WANTS to read those public interest essays and if you are just looking at them because they have crappy admission standards, don't bother wasting your application fee!

Oh and I agree about the commuting from Manhattan being a total pain. the 7 train is THE absolute worst subway line in all of New York City BY FAR!! My aunt lives in Flushing and she takes that subway to work every day. She complains how the train is always breaking down, or runs so packed during rush hour that she has to wait for 3 trains to pass by her until she can get on..!! My parents live in Queens and if I had to go to CUNY, I would never consider taking a bus there..(I went to high school in Bayside, which was bus country..I know all about that mass transit hassle!)..In the winter, the last thing you want to deal with a 2 hour commute to Manhattan from Flushing!!!

Cwarrior57

Postby Cwarrior57 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

Kurt Cobain wrote:
Cwarrior57 wrote:

That's actually not true, they don't even require you to do any clinics. Check out the employment data on CUNY's website: --LinkRemoved--, it lists the employers of recent grads. The majority are definitely in public interest/government, but there are some private firms, businesses, and schools on there.

U should take a visit to the school. When I did, I was told that all 3Ls do clinics and are mandated. Maybe I was misinformed.

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:05 am

Cwarrior57 wrote:
Kurt Cobain wrote:
Cwarrior57 wrote:

U should take a visit to the school. When I did, I was told that all 3Ls do clinics and are mandated. Maybe I was misinformed.

Hmmm, I was told that 3Ls could either do a clinic OR concentration, not both. I guess someone was wrong hahah

LSATtom

Postby LSATtom » Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 pm

Still....in....review....

I called the other day and they said they have until June...not sure if that means the beginning or end of June...so potentially I have almost another 2 month wait...uggggg

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 pm

LSATtom wrote:Still....in....review....

I called the other day and they said they have until June...not sure if that means the beginning or end of June...so potentially I have almost another 2 month wait...uggggg

That's rough, I'm sorry it's taking so long. But hey, it took them 6 months for them to get back to me, so I don't necessarily think that's a bad sign. And they've definitely rejected people, so I think that's also definitely a good sign for you. Keep your head up, I'm sure you'll be hearing good news soon!

Kurt Cobain

Postby Kurt Cobain » Thu May 05, 2011 11:32 am

Hey Tom! I stumbled across this on their admissions page today:

"Because applications are reviewed as they become complete, early application is advised. Application decisions may be made on or before June 15, subject to an increase in application volume."

So I guess you'll only be waiting a month and a half at the most.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”