Maine 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lalala21

Bronze

Re: Maine 2011

Post by lalala21 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:46 pm

I was accepted back in December and got scholarship info in early feb.... if that helps anyone out. :)

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:57 pm

withdrawn

SunshineKid

New

Post by SunshineKid » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:53 pm

wait listed. booo! :evil:

sarahc06

New

Post by sarahc06 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:40 pm

Got notified a few days ago that I've been waitlisted... It sucks, because I really wanted to go there. I grew up in Maine (Augusta/Waterville area) but worked in and traveled to Portland quite a bit and was hoping to return home as I currently live in VA... and I LOVE Portland.

Anyway, I contacted someone from Admissions to ask some specific questions about the waitlist, and this is what I was told:

"The wait-list is not ranked. There are two deposits for accepted students due on April 15 and June 15. In late June, the Admissions Committee has an idea of how many seats are left in the first-year class and may choose to open the wait list and extend offers throughout the summer. It reviews the files of all applicants on the wait list. About 120 files are active on the wait list at this time. To keep your file active on the wait list, you will need to return the form that will arrive with your letter. Letters were mailed on Monday and will contain further information.

Last year, we had a record increase in applications, so only a few wait-listed students were extended offers. Every year is different. Some accepted students withdraw before paying any deposit; some pay one deposit then withdraw; some pay both deposits and then don't show up to orientation. It is impossible to say how many offers we will extend this summer."

I was hoping that they'd be pulling SOME people off the waitlist sooner than late June, but I guess not. :-( I don't dare reject all of the schools that accepted me on the off-chance I'll be pulled off of UMaine's wait-list, and I don't really want to submit a $500 deposit to one of the other schools and then lose the money if Maine accepts me. Oh well, I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 other schools, so hopefully something better will come along!

solarae

Bronze

Post by solarae » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 pm

sarahc06 wrote:Got notified a few days ago that I've been waitlisted... It sucks, because I really wanted to go there. I grew up in Maine (Augusta/Waterville area) but worked in and traveled to Portland quite a bit and was hoping to return home as I currently live in VA... and I LOVE Portland.

Anyway, I contacted someone from Admissions to ask some specific questions about the waitlist, and this is what I was told:

"The wait-list is not ranked. There are two deposits for accepted students due on April 15 and June 15. In late June, the Admissions Committee has an idea of how many seats are left in the first-year class and may choose to open the wait list and extend offers throughout the summer. It reviews the files of all applicants on the wait list. About 120 files are active on the wait list at this time. To keep your file active on the wait list, you will need to return the form that will arrive with your letter. Letters were mailed on Monday and will contain further information.

Last year, we had a record increase in applications, so only a few wait-listed students were extended offers. Every year is different. Some accepted students withdraw before paying any deposit; some pay one deposit then withdraw; some pay both deposits and then don't show up to orientation. It is impossible to say how many offers we will extend this summer."

I was hoping that they'd be pulling SOME people off the waitlist sooner than late June, but I guess not. :-( I don't dare reject all of the schools that accepted me on the off-chance I'll be pulled off of UMaine's wait-list, and I don't really want to submit a $500 deposit to one of the other schools and then lose the money if Maine accepts me. Oh well, I'm still waiting to hear back from 8 other schools, so hopefully something better will come along!
sorry to hear that. good luck though!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SunshineKid

New

Post by SunshineKid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:33 pm

sarahc06 wrote:Last year, we had a record increase in applications, so only a few wait-listed students were extended offers. Every year is different. Some accepted students withdraw before paying any deposit; some pay one deposit then withdraw; some pay both deposits and then don't show up to orientation. It is impossible to say how many offers we will extend this summer."
... this isnt totally encouraging :cry:

sarahc06

New

Post by sarahc06 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:04 pm

SunshineKid wrote:
sarahc06 wrote:Last year, we had a record increase in applications, so only a few wait-listed students were extended offers. Every year is different. Some accepted students withdraw before paying any deposit; some pay one deposit then withdraw; some pay both deposits and then don't show up to orientation. It is impossible to say how many offers we will extend this summer."
... this isnt totally encouraging :cry:
I know... I'm sorry. :-( I've given up on UMaine.

superhands

New

Post by superhands » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:57 pm

Who else is not feeling the Admission Office's delayed responses to emails?

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:24 pm

superhands wrote:Who else is not feeling the Admission Office's delayed responses to emails?
Ha. There is another Maine 2011 thread on here with some stories. They are sucking bad.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SunshineKid

New

Post by SunshineKid » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:32 am

ok has anyone been accepted on the waitlist yet?

sarahc06

New

Post by sarahc06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:32 am

SunshineKid wrote:ok has anyone been accepted on the waitlist yet?
I haven't heard anything... but I'm 99.9% confident they aren't even gonna start looking at waitlisted applicants until end of July based on what they told me in an email.

Sorry!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:06 pm

Just got waitlisted via Status Checker. A tad upsetting. Though, not my number 1 choice. But still, Maine would've been nice to settle down in.

gin

Bronze

Post by gin » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

I'll be withdrawing today. I hope my spot goes to someone here. Best of luck

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 am

Hey guys, just got in today via snail mail.

I don't know anything about the region, I'm from Texas so just wondering how job prospects are. I also know it's a pretty small law school so how would it be for transferring prospects?

davidtothej05

New

Post by davidtothej05 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:32 pm

at accepted students day the career services office said that 85% of last years class are working; he didn't give a breakdown of how much of that was pt or jd required.

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:25 pm

That is not encouraging ...

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:26 pm

davidtothej05 wrote:at accepted students day the career services office said that 85% of last years class are working; he didn't give a breakdown of how much of that was pt or jd required.
I asked that question. The fact that the only guy in career services didn't know the stats (or have them available) just after they were released blows my mind. Especially when talking to prospective 1Ls. Also, knowing the number of recent graduates practicing in AK is not relevant. Unless of course it is, if you know what i mean.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:15 pm

Withdrawn.

Hope someone here gets my spot. I met some of you 0Ls on Friday, looks like a solid group. Good luck next year!

lalala21

Bronze

Post by lalala21 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:02 am

superhands wrote:Who else is not feeling the Admission Office's delayed responses to emails?

Hmmmm I have had nothing but super fast responses from the assistant dean of admissions (Pallozzi) .... he has been super helpful. are you all emailing him directly?

kraymond21

New

Post by kraymond21 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 pm

Withdrawn. Hopefully they see fit to redistribute the $5000 in merit aid they gave me. Good Luck!

BeeGirl33

New

Post by BeeGirl33 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 am

I was accepted two days before the "accepted students open house." They told me that they received around a third of their entire applicant pool the end of February. I got $0 money - though my stats were in the average bucket. I am thinking I will defer if I don't get something on appeal. Maine was the only school I applied to and I think I am going to take my LSATs again in the fall and see if I can get a more money somewhere else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:38 pm

anyone attending for sure?

gas law

New

Post by gas law » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Withdrew. Freed up both a spot and some $.

copper

New

Post by copper » Sun May 15, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey all, there seems to be a lot of recent movement on waitlists all across the country and not just at top tier schools...anyone hear anything about or from the maine waitlist?

SunshineKid

New

Post by SunshineKid » Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 pm

they said they were pretty close to capacity and didnt expect much movement on the WL. having said that, they werent expecting to open anything until June.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”