Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Mountain Madness
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby Mountain Madness » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:35 pm

Anyone out there trying to get into Richardson?
I sent in everything in Sept. and wondering how long they take to get out letters?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:07 pm

I applied a few weeks ago. Haven't heard anything.

Too bad I didn't get a fee waiver that really hurt. Anyone know anything about the area the LS is in?

2.9/164 by the way.

dowon
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 9:03 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby dowon » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Richardson is in Manoa, which is like a suburb of Honolulu (~15 min from downtown). It's about 10 min from Waikiki. Most people are residents though and commute to school, so they don't necessarily live in the Honolulu area. The law school is literally across the street from the main campus; the building is 2 stories and the classrooms are pretty decent. It's not exactly an exciting college town but has decent ethnic restaurants nearby (but so do most areas in Hawaii since the local population is predominantly Asian/Pacific Islander).

User avatar
berkeleyman
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby berkeleyman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:02 pm

Does anyone know what kind of numbers an out-of-stater from say, CA, would need for Richardson? Im assuming its considerably higher than the school's medians.

User avatar
Mountain Madness
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby Mountain Madness » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:16 am

I guessing that is the case. They only accepted 23% non-res last year.
I am hoping my chipper personality and stellar non trad. resume makes up for my 154/3.88 ughh...
Guess we'll find out sometime soon. But it is my top choice, I'd take Hawaii over any other school for location alone. Of course this is coming from a guy that skis 50+ days a year and doesn't miss a class.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:38 am

wonder if they would prefer a above 75 median LSAT or GPA. I heard they put a lot of people on the waitlist from OOS but if you write a good why hawaii letter you can get off.

User avatar
jeremydc
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:13 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby jeremydc » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:22 am

Hawaii isn't all that great guys. With the high cost of living and weak economy/low median salary Hawaii sucks. I lived here all my life, I love the beaches and what Hawaii has to offer but its like any other tourist attraction; you get sick of it after a while.

insegnilo
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby insegnilo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:06 pm

Applying as a total mainlander from a great school with a 157 and a 3.62 - thoughts? App was complete just this Friday (letter of rec. that just took forever to wrangle in!)

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:56 pm

insegnilo wrote:Applying as a total mainlander from a great school with a 157 and a 3.62 - thoughts? App was complete just this Friday (letter of rec. that just took forever to wrangle in!)


I don't know... I've got a higher LSAT and a lower GPA and am really hoping for an admit. I think its pretty rough if you don't have ties to the islands.

Did you submit a why hawaii? I tried to talk about environmental law and wanting to stay on the islands, but I think its a tough sell.

User avatar
shoteka
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby shoteka » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:35 pm

Got into Hawaii last night via phone call. Anyone else?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:34 pm

shoteka wrote:Got into Hawaii last night via phone call. Anyone else?


thats awesome. what do you think got you in? when did you apply?

letshula1987
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby letshula1987 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:46 pm

i'm in at hawaii as out of state (CA), and i'm considering it very seriously as i'm interested in environmental/energy law. i'm trying to weigh the benefits and cons between hawaii and USD. i have zero interest in going to a firm after law grad, and want a government gig, either at the EPA or a state commission. here are my thoughts going in, any feedback is appreciated:

-CA has an indefinite government hiring freeze and an already saturated legal market. all the firm jobs will be eaten up by CA schools with better rankings, most likely, and what is left of government jobs will be taken by the top few from the smaller schools. Hawaii is owned by Richardson since it's the only school there, and it does have 100% employment rate (though this number could be doubtful), and if the top of UH-M's graduating class will be looking for private employment, my chances at getting a government position are probably better. However, I have already been working as a RA for San Diego and am getting some good face time with institute directors who have connections to employment opportunities in the future. However, that is banking on a "maybe"...

-in terms of cost, I'm looking at going into government for the long haul and will try to take advantage of federal loans and repayment programs. Hawaii and San Diego, presuming no scholarship money at either, will cost roughly the same. Hawaii may even be cheaper by far if I claim residency after the first year (i have NH ancestry but since i'm CA born and bred, can't claim residency now)

-I'd like to practice either in Hawaii or California, but I like the idea of flexibility in both states. It seems harder to break into the Hawaii market from a California school than vice versa.

So, with this, it sounds like I'm favoring Hawaii, but I could totally be deluding myself!

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:46 am

letshula1987 wrote:i'm in at hawaii as out of state (CA), and i'm considering it very seriously as i'm interested in environmental/energy law. i'm trying to weigh the benefits and cons between hawaii and USD. i have zero interest in going to a firm after law grad, and want a government gig, either at the EPA or a state commission. here are my thoughts going in, any feedback is appreciated:

-CA has an indefinite government hiring freeze and an already saturated legal market. all the firm jobs will be eaten up by CA schools with better rankings, most likely, and what is left of government jobs will be taken by the top few from the smaller schools. Hawaii is owned by Richardson since it's the only school there, and it does have 100% employment rate (though this number could be doubtful), and if the top of UH-M's graduating class will be looking for private employment, my chances at getting a government position are probably better. However, I have already been working as a RA for San Diego and am getting some good face time with institute directors who have connections to employment opportunities in the future. However, that is banking on a "maybe"...

-in terms of cost, I'm looking at going into government for the long haul and will try to take advantage of federal loans and repayment programs. Hawaii and San Diego, presuming no scholarship money at either, will cost roughly the same. Hawaii may even be cheaper by far if I claim residency after the first year (i have NH ancestry but since i'm CA born and bred, can't claim residency now)

-I'd like to practice either in Hawaii or California, but I like the idea of flexibility in both states. It seems harder to break into the Hawaii market from a California school than vice versa.

So, with this, it sounds like I'm favoring Hawaii, but I could totally be deluding myself!


Same Q. Numbers? What do you think got you IN?

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:48 am

letshula1987 wrote:i'm in at hawaii as out of state (CA), and i'm considering it very seriously as i'm interested in environmental/energy law. i'm trying to weigh the benefits and cons between hawaii and USD. i have zero interest in going to a firm after law grad, and want a government gig, either at the EPA or a state commission. here are my thoughts going in, any feedback is appreciated:

-CA has an indefinite government hiring freeze and an already saturated legal market. all the firm jobs will be eaten up by CA schools with better rankings, most likely, and what is left of government jobs will be taken by the top few from the smaller schools. Hawaii is owned by Richardson since it's the only school there, and it does have 100% employment rate (though this number could be doubtful), and if the top of UH-M's graduating class will be looking for private employment, my chances at getting a government position are probably better. However, I have already been working as a RA for San Diego and am getting some good face time with institute directors who have connections to employment opportunities in the future. However, that is banking on a "maybe"...

-in terms of cost, I'm looking at going into government for the long haul and will try to take advantage of federal loans and repayment programs. Hawaii and San Diego, presuming no scholarship money at either, will cost roughly the same. Hawaii may even be cheaper by far if I claim residency after the first year (i have NH ancestry but since i'm CA born and bred, can't claim residency now)

-I'd like to practice either in Hawaii or California, but I like the idea of flexibility in both states. It seems harder to break into the Hawaii market from a California school than vice versa.

So, with this, it sounds like I'm favoring Hawaii, but I could totally be deluding myself!


PS your logic seems pretty good to me by the way. Only thing I'd mention is that Hawaii is very unique in the fact that it is very isolated; people that can handle isolation and small populations will likely enjoy Hawaii.

toastpbj
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby toastpbj » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 am

-in terms of cost, I'm looking at going into government for the long haul and will try to take advantage of federal loans and repayment programs. Hawaii and San Diego, presuming no scholarship money at either, will cost roughly the same. Hawaii may even be cheaper by far if I claim residency after the first year (i have NH ancestry but since i'm CA born and bred, can't claim residency now)

I have NH ancestry and was mainland born and bred and was able to get in-state tuition. You just have to submit birth certificates or proof of ancestry to the registrar and they give in-state tuition rates to those of NH descent.

I've noticed that the questions that were on the application mattered... last year they asked about foreign living/travel... just so happens a good amount of my classmates lived abroad at some point. Kinda feel like those questions were more important than LSAT/GPA unless you've got great scores like 165+

Make sure Hawaii is the right choice. Location is def not everything in law school. It's a good school but other factors can really weigh heavy on whether or not you enjoy it to the fullest and can feel comfortable. Trust me, the beach (that you will only see once, maybe twice a week if you're lucky) won't make up for certain things... those things being bugs (they are everywhere), constant traffic, bad drivers, zero parking in town, suuuuper expensive COL (think NYC but slightly less). The three mile drive from my house to Ward to watch a movie, hit ala moana beach, or go shopping is a giant pain in the butt. In fact, driving anywhere is kind of a pain in the butt. If you have friends here already, or you're moving with your family... that can be totally different. Just make sure it's Hawaii is the right choice, that's the main thing.

The school and professors are definitely worthy of the top tier, but the location isn't always paradise so just keep that in mind when you're making your decision to move from the mainland. Honolulu is paradise on saturdays... when you can escape from it to the beach :-)

piilehua
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby piilehua » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:43 pm

UH called today to let me know that I'm in. I'm still waiting on USD, Pepperdine & Stanford.

User avatar
Lookingforanswers
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby Lookingforanswers » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:34 pm

So I applied back in September 1st and I'm still waiting, does anyone think I have a chance? I got a 146 ( both times) and 3.4 GPA but pretty solid softs, anyone have any thoughts?

toastpbj
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby toastpbj » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Lookingforanswers wrote:So I applied back in September 1st and I'm still waiting, does anyone think I have a chance? I got a 146 ( both times) and 3.4 GPA but pretty solid softs, anyone have any thoughts?


Of course it's always hard to tell, but I'd say you have a shot (but maybe for the part-time program) if you have a connection to the Island, a diverse background, or if you've faced adversity in your life. It's always hard to tell until that phone call comes in! Good luck!

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Crickets in the hawaii thread. Anyone receive any acceptances lately? I still haven't heard a peep. Submitted early Dec. OOS 164/2.9

Did get the email a few weeks back that was from admissions. Had a minor heart attack. Realized it was a "hey Hawaii is really cool email."

Dumb.

kitchuel
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby kitchuel » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:09 pm

OOS With family (military) ties to Hawaii. Complete since 1/18 still waiting to hear back as well =)

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:18 pm

kitchuel wrote:OOS With family (military) ties to Hawaii. Complete since 1/18 still waiting to hear back as well =)


GL. Any current UH students care to chime in about the admissions process?

tropicalpeach
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby tropicalpeach » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:20 pm

I was complete 1/11, then it updated to 2/11, which was odd. OOS, 2.9, 167, but with strong family ties to hawaii. I wish they would let us know soon!

wokeemilo
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby wokeemilo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

i'm surprised OOS people are interested in hawaii! i'm in state and was admitted back in december. good luck!

fyi admitted students day is march 17.

mrwarre85
Posts: 685
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby mrwarre85 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:26 pm

wokeemilo wrote:i'm surprised OOS people are interested in hawaii! i'm in state and was admitted back in december. good luck!

fyi admitted students day is march 17.


I bet some of us would like to know why you are surprised. Hawaii has a great rep. I'm personally looking for a place to start a life and both my fiancee and I love Hawaii.

Bearlegdairy
Posts: 121
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Hawaii 2011 Applicants

Postby Bearlegdairy » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:52 pm

Just g
Last edited by Bearlegdairy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blackpi, Christinabruin, hwwong, Kimmysradscreenname and 4 guests