In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BackToTheOldHouse

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:my loan info is blank as well. I don't think they award loans until after they get your tax forms. (Same thing happened at my UG and Grad school)

Interesting. But then why have others received loan info? Have they submitted tax forms?

Maybe because you have been selected for verification? I always get selected for verification because 1. SSA think I am not a citizen and 2. I have dependents and file 1040.

This could be it. I can't speak to your first point, but your second point speaks to me.
Last edited by BackToTheOldHouse on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kiwi917

Postby Kiwi917 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:36 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
Kiwi917 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:aah!!! so if i have $0.00 next to Gift Aid does that mean that my Matching was denied? they don't send emails re: Matching? I've heard nothing...

I think matching is a separate process. So if you haven't heard back, I don't think they have decided yet.

I called the admissions office about my matching app - they were able to check my file and tell me a decision had not been reached yet. I got an email with the matching award offer soon after calling, but the website showed $0.00 until just an hour ago (so $0.00 doesn't mean it was denied). If it is getting close to your other scholarship's deadline, my $0.02 is that it wouldn't hurt to call. The person I spoke with was very nice.

Thanks for posting! It's good to know that zero doesn't necessarily mean that my matching application has been denied... at least, not yet :)

Yeah, it had me worried when I first checked online. Good luck with your app!

forward

Postby forward » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:39 pm

I got 20k/yr in merit aid! =D

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:50 pm

forward wrote:I got 20k/yr in merit aid! =D

OMG congrats!!!!

mistermister

Postby mistermister » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 am

I know they don't do the traditional seat deposit, so when is the first time you have to actually write a check?

clone22

Postby clone22 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:06 am

forward wrote:I got 20k/yr in merit aid! =D

props bro. yay for 57K of loans though

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:17 pm

Mine still says 0 grants.... the loan section is completely filled out...there is no way... I didn't know you could get any poorer than I am and not be on food stamps.. :x

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:23 pm

fish52 wrote:Mine still says 0 grants.... the loan section is completely filled out...there is no way... I didn't know you could get any poorer than I am and not be on food stamps.. :x

I don't think it is just about being poor. I make a good amount of money and I have substancial savings and I got some aid.

However, I am a URM. I also wrote an essay about my diversity and my lower class upbringing (food stamps, parents in jail). Also I am the first college grad in my family.

They consider more than just being currently poor.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:27 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
fish52 wrote:Mine still says 0 grants.... the loan section is completely filled out...there is no way... I didn't know you could get any poorer than I am and not be on food stamps.. :x

I don't think it is just about being poor. I make a good amount of money and I have substancial savings and I got some aid.

However, I am a URM. I also wrote an essay about my diversity and my lower class upbringing (food stamps, parents in jail). Also I am the first college grad in my family.

I don't think any of that is considered for need-based aid, to be honest. It's supposed to be a formula that they use to determine financial need... race, background, etc. shouldn't even be taken into consideration. The general formula is COA-(scholarships+family contribution+student contribution+expected base loan amount)= aid amount. All of those hardships/diversity points come into play for other merit/scholarship funds. That being said, I'm not sure why mine is 0... I'll just have to wait to talk to them on Friday.

powerlawyer06

Postby powerlawyer06 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:48 pm

fish52 wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:

I don't think any of that is considered for need-based aid, to be honest. It's supposed to be a formula that they use to determine financial need... race, background, etc. shouldn't even be taken into consideration. The general formula is COA-(scholarships+family contribution+student contribution+expected base loan amount)= aid amount. All of those hardships/diversity points come into play for other merit/scholarship funds. That being said, I'm not sure why mine is 0... I'll just have to wait to talk to them on Friday.

You may be right. Now that I look at it. The essay I submitted was for scholarships. If they were determining it based off a formula I may have gotten a bump because my parent contribution is non-existant. Also, I submitted the aid form and Fafsa extremely early. If it is first come first serve I had to be in the first batch.

I also think it has to do with availability of funds. They won't say it but I am sure URMS and strong candidates get the funds first.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:my loan info is blank as well. I don't think they award loans until after they get your tax forms. (Same thing happened at my UG and Grad school)

Interesting. But then why have others received loan info? Have they submitted tax forms?

Maybe because you have been selected for verification? I always get selected for verification because 1. SSA think I am not a citizen and 2. I have dependents and file 1040.

For anyone interested, I just made a phone call and confirmed point 2 above. Folks with dependent children will need to fill out verification documents before loan offers will be made. The person I spoke to said that verification docs were sent out last Friday and that they should be reaching their destinations this week.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:28 pm

Good thing I called!

I called financial aid and they said I was flagged for verification. They had to verify that I actually had a family size of 12. LOL I just had to say over the phone that yes....I have 9 younger brothers and 4 of us will be in college. Will have my grant award up any time she said.

If you are questioning your aid...call. They are nice! :D

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:30 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Good thing I called!

I called financial aid and they said I was flagged for verification. They had to verify that I actually had a family size of 12. LOL I just had to say over the phone that yes....I have 9 younger brothers and 4 of us will be in college. Will have my grant award up any time she said.

Did you get the email from Berk yesterday saying that your fin aid was available? Was it still 0 before you called? I am hoping that I might still get something somehow...bahhhh. I need monies now.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:32 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:

Did you get the email from Berk yesterday saying that your fin aid was available? Was it still 0 before you called? I am hoping that I might still get something somehow...bahhhh. I need monies now.

Yes. And Yes. So I was freaked. LOL But she pretty much told me I had a grant and that I would see it sometime soon

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:33 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Yes. And Yes. So I was freaked. LOL But she pretty much told me I had a grant and that I would see it sometime soon

Wow, thank you for this, it gives me some hope!! :D :D :D

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:35 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:

Wow, thank you for this, it gives me some hope!! :D :D :D

Just got mine. Just over 20K

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:36 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:

WOAH that was fast. Maybe I should give them a ring? :P

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:38 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

:D

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

never mind - I looked at your profile.
Last edited by BackToTheOldHouse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

Askyemcdonald -- are you in-state or out-of-state? I'm just curious . . .

In

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:55 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:

Wow. Not too shabby!

I still have to verify the numbers on my FAFSA (I filled out the form before filing my tax return, and just got my taxes back) so perhaps this is why I'm being held up.... Did anyone get grant information without verifying their FAFSA numbers after they got their taxes back?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:05 pm

fish52 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:

Wow. Not too shabby!

I still have to verify the numbers on my FAFSA (I filled out the form before filing my tax return, and just got my taxes back) so perhaps this is why I'm being held up.... Did anyone get grant information without verifying their FAFSA numbers after they got their taxes back?

Yea I'm happy with it. I hope I can pull off a scholarship as well. Wonder how long until they start announcing some...

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Is anyone going to the bar review Thursday night?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:14 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Is anyone going to the bar review Thursday night?

Where is it?

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Is anyone going to the bar review Thursday night?

Where is it?

Jupiter, baby. Great pizza and handcrafted brews.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”