In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
powerlawyer06

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby powerlawyer06 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:59 pm

Kronk wrote:
Actually, Texas, Kansas, Montana and Oklahoma largely are "a bunch of homophobes."

And the 13th Amendment came up to be ratified and was voted down regularly in Mississippi throughout the 1900s and into the 1980s and 1990s. Is the legislature a good representation of the beliefs of the people of Mississippi? That's what they are voted in for.

Edit: It's also worth noting that no one here, ever said all of Mississippi or southern states were racist. Just that racist people exist in a much higher proportion there, as seen by impromptu Klan rallies in S.C. gas stations. Protip from me would be, if you don't want to start arguments like this, don't defend the KKK.

Racial debates online are pointless....it would help immensely if everyone in this thread would not make generalizations about regions, states, or ethnicities.

Not everyone in the South is racist but the Klan is a terrible/hateful organization.

/racial discussion

Back to Berkeley banter.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:06 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
Back to Berkeley banter.

I support this. It will end up being a clash of view points with little chance of anyone's mind changing. Our understanding and views of racism is too deeply rooted because it builds upon a life time of experience.

It's interesting my story doesn't usually bring up any racism discussion in person, I think it is too taboo except for online.

So back to fear of high tuition and anticipation of drinks that may not be provided. Coming from my private institution, I am ready to be disappointed. It would be nice if we fit a wine tasting in there.

Wait, there is the wine law class, which should be the mock class if you ask me :mrgreen:

culinaryorlawschool

Postby culinaryorlawschool » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:17 pm

I am from the deep south and a minority. I understand the frustrations that some of the posters here have expressed about people being ignorant of the south. Normally when I encounter a yankee that says something like 'well aren't you glad you escaped the racism!' My reply is something like "Have you spent time in the South? Talked to Southerners? My Southern friends are some of the kindest people I know and at least they admit the history of racism in the south and are aware of their shortcomings. People up north are just as racist they just don't know it. And that's the only difference. And let's not forget that the people who profited most from the slave trade were yankee merchants from Rhode Island so you can check your superiority complex and shut your mouth!"

That being said, everyone else here is right. There are some generalizations you can make about a state and its values based on its laws (not just laws but popular attitudes manifest itself in other ways too). It doesn't even have to necessarily be about race or marriage equality. California, for example, values social services like health care and education more than the Southern states do, which value small govt. But laws don't exist in a vacuum, and a lack of investment in social services in the South has translated into a lack of opportunities for minorities and reinforced racial stereotypes.
That is why I am choosing Boalt over say, UT or Duke or Alabama, which are all pretty decent law schools.

aesis

Postby aesis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
powerlawyer06 wrote:
Back to Berkeley banter.

So back to fear of high tuition and anticipation of drinks that may not be provided. Coming from my private institution, I am ready to be disappointed. It would be nice if we fit a wine tasting in there.

Wait, there is the wine law class, which should be the mock class if you ask me :mrgreen:

Straight from Napa.

That's my vote too.

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:23 pm

There's usually alcohol at the student journal reception at the end of Friday.

The discussion about race was fine, no need to jump all over yourselves trying to shut it down.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:47 am

Can't access my Financial Aid again...hope that means they are working on it!

DreamShake

Postby DreamShake » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:44 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Can't access my Financial Aid again...hope that means they are working on it!

+1.

Better not be an April Fool's joke being pulled by the Fin Aid office...!

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:23 pm

ARGH! I have access again and it is no different...April Fools sucks. :(

bilbobaggins

Postby bilbobaggins » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:47 pm

I wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this: http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2011/04/ad ... -take.html

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:I wanted to make sure you guys are aware of this: http://boaltalk.blogspot.com/2011/04/ad ... -take.html

Lol

aesis

Postby aesis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Tasteful!

fish52

Postby fish52 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:00 pm

For those interested, it looks like there is going to be an inter-journal kegger in the courtyard on Friday evening. :mrgreen:

Brolaw

Postby Brolaw » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:09 pm

Congrats to everyone. In at Berkeley!!!!!!!

fish52

Postby fish52 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Brolaw wrote:Congrats to everyone. In at Berkeley!!!!!!!

Just now? Didn't know they were still admitting people... Your profile says you're going to UCLA, but that you got into Yale and Harvard....and waitlisted at Stanfurd which I didn't think existed yet.....flame?

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 pm

So, just got an email from Berk saying to check my financial aid...and it is still all loans. Seriously Berk? I mean, my EFC is 0. It said the Boalt Hall grants are still up for grabs but...man.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:25 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:So, just got an email from Berk saying to check my financial aid...and it is still all loans. Seriously Berk? I mean, my EFC is 0. It said the Boalt Hall grants are still up for grabs but...man.

Counted your parents' income/assets? I take it you are not willing to pay sticker.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Ahh, I see what you mean, I just got the email. I am confused, if I already have grant in my package, do I still need to know about the eligibility?

aesis

Postby aesis » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:30 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:So, just got an email from Berk saying to check my financial aid...and it is still all loans. Seriously Berk? I mean, my EFC is 0. It said the Boalt Hall grants are still up for grabs but...man.

+1.
Sort of.

Has anyone received grant money yet? Other than uncommon.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Counted your parents' income/assets? I take it you are not willing to pay sticker.

I mean, I don't actually know what i am going to do. I am not sure exactly what "gift aid" encompasses besides grants, but still, I was expecting something. Even including my parents' assets, etc., my EFC is 0. I am going to get zilch from them for law school, and I certainly don't have anything. It definitely makes Berk a less likely candidate, although Columbia has yet to get back to me.

Just depressing.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:35 pm

God. Looking at this official offer is really making me question myself. On a side note. Berkeley COA is going to be 80k next year.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:36 pm

aesis wrote:

+1.
Sort of.

Has anyone received grant money yet? Other than uncommon.

I did, seem like close to the maximum amount (as we calculated a while back) I am over 30 with multiple dependents though.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:37 pm

tkgrrett wrote:God. Looking at this official offer is really making me question myself. On a side note. Berkeley COA is going to be 80k next year.

Why? (sorry I don't want to misunderstand)

Don't you have better options?

On a side note, are you visiting this week?

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:44 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:God. Looking at this official offer is really making me question myself. On a side note. Berkeley COA is going to be 80k next year.

Why? (sorry I don't want to misunderstand)

Don't you have better options?

On a side note, are you visiting this week?

Well I have a soft spot for Berkeley and the numbers are just overwhelming. Assuming I could get at least a 2L SA, I could comfortably graduate Berkeley with around 20-25K law school debt and all subsidized.

Not visiting this week. Because of my summer job, I need to come up with a large amount of money by mid-may so cant afford to make the trip.
Last edited by rundoxierun on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Well I have a soft spot for Berkeley and the numbers are just overwhelming. Assuming I could get at least a 2L SA, I could comfortably graduate Berkeley with around 20K law school debt and all subsidized.

So it was a good thing? I thought you all but decided where to go.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Well I have a soft spot for Berkeley and the numbers are just overwhelming. Assuming I could get at least a 2L SA, I could comfortably graduate Berkeley with around 20K law school debt and all subsidized.

So it was a good thing? I thought you all but decided where to go.

Yeah, Ive deposited but Im still leaving my Berkeley scholarship open in case I have a change of heart. I have 11 days until it expires. Already withdrew from the darrow(which also hurt).

The cost of this all is just so nuts.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”