In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
paisaaa

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby paisaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:18 pm

I want this Faculty Symposium on Recent Immigration Issues to happen so badly.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:19 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Woohoo! Homework for ASW! :)

Yep, just got that, too! I am much more excited about this homework than my actual school homework!

I am going to avoid the mock class for the 3rd time! :D

jtravis

Postby jtravis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this has already been covered....I've been trying to follow this message board regularly but may have missed this. I recently retrieved my law grant award for need based aid. It sounds pretty good to me. Does anyone know if it is possible to still get need-based aid for 2L and 3L years? Has anyone asked this? Again, sorry if this is a repeat question!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:28 pm

jtravis wrote:Hey guys,

I'm sorry if this has already been covered....I've been trying to follow this message board regularly but may have missed this. I recently retrieved my law grant award for need based aid. It sounds pretty good to me. Does anyone know if it is possible to still get need-based aid for 2L and 3L years? Has anyone asked this? Again, sorry if this is a repeat question!

Some current students said unlikely unless you have a guarantee, so I am going to raise this question in person next week. It's totally going to break the deal if we may not receive the same aid. Getting in-state is not a given, and tuition may rise a lot more, I don't want to take that chance.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:29 pm

I'm wondering if I should call the finaid office to see if my award is still tentative as well. Maybe I should just wait until ASW. Decisions....

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:30 pm

I believe it changes every year based on your income.

fish52

Postby fish52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:31 pm

WonkyPanda wrote:I'm wondering if I should call the finaid office to see if my award is still tentative as well. Maybe I should just wait until ASW. Decisions....

It sounds like they are all tentative (I called). If you submitted the supplemental application after the deadline (March 2) you haven't even been considered for need-based aid yet.

juliachild-ish

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

So I did see on the admitted students weekend schedule that we can make individual appointments with financial aid throughout the day. Maybe I should just wait until then and talk to them about my other offers in person?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

fish52 wrote:
WonkyPanda wrote:I'm wondering if I should call the finaid office to see if my award is still tentative as well. Maybe I should just wait until ASW. Decisions....

It sounds like they are all tentative (I called). If you submitted the supplemental application after the deadline (March 2) you haven't even been considered for need-based aid yet.

ARGH. I submitted March 3rd because I didn't see it before.... :(

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:32 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I believe it changes every year based on your income.

It would, but since the formula isn't published, I could make less next year and get less aid, technically. That'd be scary.

WonkyPanda

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 pm

fish52 wrote:

My supplemental was definitely submitted before March 2nd. I think i got it in around mid-February.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:40 pm

r6_philly wrote:

It would, but since the formula isn't published, I could make less next year and get less aid, technically. That'd be scary.

Yea...true. I would confirm at ASW

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:

Don't worry R6 I specifically told Berkeley to give you the money I turned down..... that's how it works right? :wink:

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Don't worry R6 I specifically told Berkeley to give you the money I turned down..... that's how it works right? :wink:

Just submitted my request that Berkeley match $120,000 offer from Cornell. Fingers crossed.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:08 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha thanks for the thought! I doubt I will get 100k. But if I do ...

unc0mm0n1

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Haha thanks for the thought! I doubt I will get 100k. But if I do ...

you owe me 10k :P

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:36 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
you owe me 10k :P

If you make it happen we will talk :wink:

It will come off your share when we start our firm.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm

:( I'm going to be way late for the reception on Thursday...a bummer.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:52 pm

askyemcdonald wrote::( I'm going to be way late for the reception on Thursday...a bummer.

That's too bad :( .

On this point, are most people going to the diverse students reception? Is this an invitation only event? Is this event meant to honor certain diverse students? How are these diverse students being "honored"? I think this was one of the only points not addressed in the email today.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:55 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote::( I'm going to be way late for the reception on Thursday...a bummer.

On this point, are most people going to the diverse students reception? Is this an invitation only event? Is this event meant to honor certain diverse students? How are these diverse students being "honored"? I think this was one of the only points not addressed in the email today.

These receptions are just regular social events. They like to give it a title but usually are open to everyone, and casual.

I will be there.

aesis

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:56 pm

I will also be there :)

Sinra

Postby Sinra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:57 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

You must present your Diversity Certified 2011 card at the door to be allowed in.

:lol:

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:59 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

These receptions are just regular social events. They like to give it a title but usually are open to everyone, and casual.

I will be there.

Huh, it seems to me that the "Dinner Honoring Diverse Admits" held at the Bancroft Hotel is a little more formal than the student/club led receptions, but I'm likely wrong.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:00 pm

Ahhh! Well I will be the late one with a suitcase and spongebob shirt. :wink:

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Sinra wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:

You must present your Diversity Certified 2011 card at the door to be allowed in.

:lol:

lol . . . I didn't mean that. I guess I have been reading too much into the "honoring" part of the title, and the location. So, I can wear my tuxedo t-shirt? I want to look formal, but still look like I know how to have a good time. :wink:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”