In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Knock

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. It's at least a 4 hour drive for me (plus gas expenses) so if I can fly for pretty much free I definitely will do that :mrgreen:. And I hope you will take us TLSers for a tour of Berkeley/SF in your rental car, since I will be car-less :P.

Sure! I can probably drive people from the airport too. We will arrange something when it gets close. We should have a meet and greet anyway for people who are not trying to remain anonymous.

Awesome, I call dibs 8). And definitely, I'm down for a meet and greet :).

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:27 pm

Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Knock wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Yeah, I saw that. It's at least a 4 hour drive for me (plus gas expenses) so if I can fly for pretty much free I definitely will do that :mrgreen:. And I hope you will take us TLSers for a tour of Berkeley/SF in your rental car, since I will be car-less :P.

Sure! I can probably drive people from the airport too. We will arrange something when it gets close. We should have a meet and greet anyway for people who are not trying to remain anonymous.

Awesome, I call dibs 8). And definitely, I'm down for a meet and greet :).

I am down as well. :)

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:28 pm

Did anyone look at the optional reading? I think I'll pass on that ginormous list. :lol:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Knock wrote:ill arrange something when it gets close. We should have a meet and greet anyway for people who are not trying to remain anonymous.

Awesome, I call dibs 8). And definitely, I'm down for a meet and greet :).[/quote]

I hope to meet you and many others before this anyway since the ASW is kind of late. We should have a clique by then lol.

Especially if Penn has it earlier again I will facilitate the activiities.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:29 pm

mrmangs wrote:Did anyone look at the optional reading? I think I'll pass on that ginormous list. :lol:

YES, haha. I almost posted it for laughs. Holy crap!

Edited. Just for fun:

Boalt Optional Reading wrote:Optional Reading

Reading Suggestions for Entering Law Students: Law students sometimes ask if there is anything they should read in advance of enrolling at Berkeley Law. To answer that question, the Berkeley Law faculty compiled the following bibliography to occupy your insouciant hours. The books range from the serious to the entertaining. They are not required.
I. The American Legal System: Fundamentals

Lawrence Meir Friedman, American Law: An Introduction (2002 Edition)
Lawrence Friedman's revised and updated edition of this accessible and comprehensive work offers a user-friendly road map through the bewildering complexity of the American legal system. Rich in anecdote and historical detail, it explains how laws—from the Constitution to decisions of local zoning boards—are made and administered by courts and administrative agencies. It also surveys the wide variety of law—antitrust, criminal justice, family law, torts, consumer protection and commercial law—and explores the relationship between law and society.

Ellen Greenberg, The Supreme Court Explained (1997)
Ellen Greenberg explains how the Supreme Court works, and how cases (such as those you will spend hundreds of hours reading) work their way up through the legal system. The book includes a helpful list of all present and past Supreme Court justices, indicating the president who appointed them, the party in the Senate majority when they were confirmed, and the relationship between court personnel and many of the court's most important cases.

Robert Kagan, Adversarial Legalism: The American Way of Law (2003)
Kagan offers an important and insightful study of American legal culture. Its chief thesis is that the American way of law is best described as ‘adversarial legalism,’ or the process by which policy making, implementation, and dispute resolution are dominated by lawyers and litigation.

Barry Scheck, Peter Neufeld, Jim Dwyer, Actual Innocence: When Justice Goes Wrong and How to Make It Right (2003)
Actual Innocence is an account of the work of Scheck's and Neufeld's "Innocence Project," describing some of the Project's most prominent and successful cases, and a scathing condemnation of the shortcomings of the American system of criminal justice.

Jeffrey Toobin, The Nine: Inside the Secret World of the Supreme Court (2008)
Despite a Court dominated by Republican appointees, Toobin paints not a conservative revolution but a period of intractable moderation.
II. Basic Legal Methods

Edward Levi, Introduction to Legal Reasoning (1962)
Another classic, widely recommended for beginning law students. It helps give substance to the mysterious phrase, "thinking like a lawyer." This one is old but still a thing of beauty.

Berring and Edinger, The Legal Research Survival Manual (2002)
This book is written to prepare the first-year law student for the first semester. It is short, flip and written by a Boalt professor and a Boalt reference librarian. It is no substitute for a course in legal research, but if you are coming to law school without any legal background, it is designed for you.
III. Legal Fiction and Legal Realities

Mellisa Fay Greene, Praying for Sheetrock: A Work of Nonfiction (Reprint Edition, 1992)
Praying for Sheetrock tells the story of how an African-American union shop steward turned county commissioner, with the help of a group of legal services lawyers, worked profound social change in McIntosh County, Georgia. The book, written like a novel, has been described as a tale of how "large and important things happen in a very little place." Widely recommended.

Paula Sharp, Crows Over a Wheatfield (1998)
This is a beautifully written account of a woman judge who faces the challenge of overcoming her own past. This book explores issues of domestic violence, mental health, criminal law and the human spirit. Some truly memorable characters are there along the way. This is a great read.

Barry Werth, Damages: One Family's Legal Struggles in the World of Medicine (1998)
Damages tells the story of one family's experience with the world of medical malpractice litigation. This is what the New York Times book review had to say about it: "Damages deserves to be read and thought about and discussed by people on all sides of the complex and often ugly collisions of law and medicine..." It comes highly recommended by torts and legal ethics teachers alike.

Gerald M. Stern, The Buffalo Creek Disaster (1977)
This book, used by many first-year civil procedure teachers, tells the story of how one coal mining town, devastated by a flood caused when a coal company dam failed, sued the company and won. It is an engaging and utterly painless way of getting a sense of how a complex tort case proceeds through the civil litigation process. Best read in conjunction with Kai Erikson's book, described immediately below.

Kai Erickson, Everything in Its Path (1978)
This book also deals with the Buffalo Creek disaster, but deals less with the litigation and more with the effect of the disaster on the victims' everyday lives. If you read the two books together, you will have an opportunity to see what part of lived experience can be reflected in and addressed by civil litigation, and what part can not. This discontinuity between legal relevance and lived relevance lies at the center of much current legal scholarship on the lawyering process. These two books, read together, would provide a good introduction to many of these issues.

Anthony Lewis, Make No Law: The Sullivan Case and the First Amendment (1977)
Make No Law follows the progress of a 1960 libel suit against the New York Times, filed by a Montgomery, Alabama, city official. A great read for anyone even vaguely interested in the First Amendment. Still available in paperback.

Peter Schuck, Agent Orange on Trial (1987)
A beautifully written treatment of complex tort litigation, this book tells the story of the Agent Orange litigation against Dow Chemical Company (and others) brought by Vietnam veterans who claimed injury for exposure to the herbicide. Highly, widely recommended.

David Lebedoff, Cleaning Up: The Story Behind the Biggest Legal Bonanza of Our Time (1997)
This book tells the story of the litigation surrounding the Exxon Valdez spill. Responsibly reported, the story is a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at how a relatively large firm in Minnesota became involved in mass tort litigation. The author describes the firm's trepidations as well as its somewhat awkward relationship with small firms and solo practitioners specializing in representing tort victims. The book also discusses the media coverage of the case and the jury deliberations about liability and damages. A complex story, and a slightly more difficult read than some other selections on this list, the book provides insight into how tort law works and why it is controversial in business and industrial circles.

Richard Kluger, Simple Justice: The History of Brown v. Board of Education and Black America's Struggle for Equality (1986)
This long (823 pages) but fascinating book details the legal strategy painstakingly designed and implemented by Charles Hamilton Houston, Thurgood Marshall and others, culminating in the Supreme Court's 1954 school desegregation decision in Brown v. Board of Education. It is an inspiring and beautifully crafted retelling, reminding us that while law can be mobilized as an instrument of social change, the process is neither easy, linear, nor quick. This book is a classic.

Marc Reisner, Cadillac Desert: The American West and Its Disappearing Water (1993)
Although not exactly legal, this book is a fabulous primer for understanding California water wars.
IV. Biography

Michael D. Davis and Hunter R. Clark, Thurgood Marshall: Warrior at the Bar, Rebel on the Bench (1994)
Davis and Clark's biography of the Supreme Court's first African-American justice, described as "affectionate and engaging" by Kirkus Reviews, tells the story of Marshall's remarkable legal career. After graduating from Howard Law School in 1935, Marshall argued 32 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, including Shelly v. Allwright (voting rights), Shelly v. Kraemer (racially restrictive real estate covenants) and Brown v. Board of Education. He won 29 of the 32, before being appointed as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Patricia Williams, The Alchemy of Race and Rights (1992)
Patricia Williams, an African-American law professor, wrote this largely autobiographical book that describes her experiences in the legal academy and in American society at large. In the process, she provides a powerful argument for continued struggle in achieving the still-illusive goal of racial justice in American society.

Ed Cray, Chief Justice: A Biography of Earl Warren (1997)
This book chronicles the career of Earl Warren, one of Boalt Hall's graduates. It begins with his childhood in Bakersfield and continues through his career as a district attorney, attorney general for California, governor of California and chief justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. There are references to some Boalt faculty (Max Radin, Adrian Kragen, Arthur Sherry) as well as other famous Californians. At over 500 pages, the book is long, but it's still a page turner.
V. Legal Theory, Critical Race Theory and Feminist Jurisprudence

Grant Gilmore, Ages of American Law (1979)
Gilmore was one of the major figures in 20th Century legal thinking and this short, readable book is a gem. It will explain much of what is going on beneath the surface of law school. It is a great introduction to legal theory.

Robin West, Caring for Justice (1997)
In this book, West synthesizes her various earlier works on feminist jurisprudence. Students in Professor Krieger's sex discrimination class frequently described this book as a kind of scholarly "sigh of relief," helping them articulate what they found missing in traditional approaches to law and lawyering, but couldn't quite get into words.

Richard Delgado, et al., eds., Critical Race Theory: The Cutting Edge (1995)
This is the compendium of critical race scholarship. Topical sections include: Essentialism and Anti-essentialism; Race, Sex, Class, and Their Intersections; Legal Institutions, Critical Pedagogy, Minorities in the Law; Critical Race Feminism; Critical White Studies; and Storytelling, Counter-storytelling, and Naming One's Own Reality, to mention a few.

D. Kelly Weisberg, ed., Feminist Legal Theory: Foundations (1993)
In this book, Weisberg has collected the foundational works in feminist legal theory. Topical categories include: Theories of Law; Equality and Difference; Elements of Feminist Legal Theory; Essentialism; and Feminist Legal Methods.

Daniel A. Farber & Suzanna Sherry, Beyond All Reason: The Radical Assault on Truth in American Law (1992)
This book represents the "anti-critical studies" perspective. Boalt Professor Dan Farber and Suzanna Sherry critique critical race and critical gender theory with relative restraint and patience, arguing that the critical legal studies assault on liberal legal models and methods is unproductive at best, dangerous at worst.

Henry Louis Gates, et al., Speaking of Race, Speaking of Sex: Hate Speech, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (1995)
Another counterpoint to critical race/critical gender theory, this one focusing on hate speech and First Amendment issues. The various constituent essays cover race theory and the First Amendment, the regulation of hate speech on campus, the hate speech debate from a lesbian and gay perspective, and more.

Clara Bingham & Laura Leedy Gansler, Class Action: The Story of Lois Jenson and the Landmark Case that Changed Sexual Harassment Law (2003)
A collaboration between a journalist and a lawyer, this volume describes in elaborate detail the tortuous path of the the Duluth mine sexual harassment case (first class-action sexual harassment lawsuit) Jenson v. Eveleth Mines.
VI. Law School Guides and the Law School Experience

Lani Guinier, Michelle Fine, & Jane Balin, Becoming Gentlemen: Women, Law School & Institutional Change (1997)
A radically different take on the subject of legal education, this book describes and reflects upon a study of female law students at the University of Pennsylvania between 1987 and 1992. Guinier and her co-authors consider the effect of law school's emphasis on emotional detachment, the cultivation of verbal aggressiveness and legal pedagogical methods on the mental health and academic achievement of female law students.

Steven J. Frank, Learning the Law: Success in Law School and Beyond (2000)
This guide goes into detail on the nature and function of different legal institutions, reading cases and statutes, understanding the relationship between cases and statues, and, more generally, how to approach the study of law.

JoeShmoe11

Postby JoeShmoe11 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:30 pm

All the friendliness and warmth in this topic is seriously making me want to throw in a Boalt app! Congrats to everyone who got in!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:All the friendliness and warmth in this topic is seriously making me want to throw in a Boalt app! Congrats to everyone who got in!

You should! and thank you :D

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:32 pm

mrmangs wrote:Did anyone look at the optional reading? I think I'll pass on that ginormous list. :lol:

I may read some of that. I read some similar books for con law and was really surprised with how I enjoyed them.

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:

I may read some of that. I read some similar books for con law and was really surprised with how I enjoyed them.

I've read the Toobin and Levi book (the former is actually a really good casual read). I might check out one or two others, but that list is overwhelming.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Did you guys see there is a list of faculty who are willing to talk to admitted students about the Berkeley experience? I may email one or two of them in the area(s) i'm interested in.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:36 pm

JoeShmoe11 wrote:All the friendliness and warmth in this topic is seriously making me want to throw in a Boalt app! Congrats to everyone who got in!

All this friendliness and warmth ITT is seriously making me very bitter that I haven't gotten in.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm

Knock wrote:Did you guys see there is a list of faculty who are willing to talk to admitted students about the Berkeley experience? I may email one or two of them in the area(s) i'm interested in.

Yes! I extensively cited one of them for one of my research projects! I will write her tonight! My UG advisor also knows her from conferences and mentions her in class all the time, so this is will be so cool...

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:37 pm

artichoke wrote:

All this friendliness and warmth ITT is seriously making me very bitter that I haven't gotten in.

Stay strong my friend, it's still early!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 pm

Knock wrote:
artichoke wrote:

I don't think I got in anywhere you did, or I will bring some of this over there too... But all in due time!

mrmangs

Postby mrmangs » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

artichoke wrote:

I am rooting for you fellow Seattleite! :)

And yes, I want to email the professors, but I am not sure how well they can answer my Q's. Tell me about jerb prospects!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

mrmangs wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I've read the Toobin and Levi book (the former is actually a really good casual read). I might check out one or two others, but that list is overwhelming.

I don't know about the fictions but I will def. spend a day or 2 check out this list, maybe spot read each of them at least.

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 pm

This entire thread is making really happy.

I found this info on hotels around the school when I was looking around last weekend. http://www.law.berkeley.edu/142.htm
Hopefully there is some helpful info there.

Excited to see everyone! I have a feeling it will be one epic meet up.

icecreamcicle

Postby icecreamcicle » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:48 pm

obrienfa wrote:This entire thread is making really happy.

I found this info on hotels around the school when I was looking around last weekend. http://www.law.berkeley.edu/142.htm

Super helpful! Thanks, obrienfa!

anyone interested in coordinating housing arrangements so we can stay in a block of rooms or something? :)

obrienfa

Postby obrienfa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 pm

icecreamcicle wrote:
obrienfa wrote:This entire thread is making really happy.

Super helpful! Thanks, obrienfa!

anyone interested in coordinating housing arrangements so we can stay in a block of rooms or something? :)

I think all the TLSers in a block of rooms is GENIUS.

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:53 pm

If I go I may be able to get some cheap rooms.

artichoke

Postby artichoke » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:31 pm

Knock wrote:
artichoke wrote:

Thanks Knock.. Maybe I'll be able to make visiting plans with all of you soon... probably not but, I'm holding on to a glimmer of hope.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:37 pm

the 300 bucks means Im almost definitely coming, pending Stanford decision.

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:27 pm

I heart this thread!

But I haven't gotten my log on info yet, and am therefore in the dark/jealous. Though, if Knock gets $150 then I'm probably set for the same. Woo hoo! TLS meet up ftw :)

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:28 pm

moxiepostulate wrote:I heart this thread!

But I haven't gotten my log on info yet, and am therefore in the dark/jealous. Though, if Knock gets $150 then I'm probably set for the same. Woo hoo! TLS meet up ftw :)

Yep, I believe it's $150 for any admitted students in California. $300 for any admitted students out of state! See you there! :D

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:32 pm

Knock wrote:
moxiepostulate wrote:I heart this thread!

Yep, I believe it's $150 for any admitted students in California. $300 for any admitted students out of state! See you there! :D

Most excellent! I reeeeeeeally love the Bay Area. So, regardless of other acceptances and short of a major conflict I'll be attending ASW.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”