In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
c_dubya_s
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:40 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Sinra wrote:Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.


You have loan info!?! I only have grant information and am really interested in the loan part of this equation. What does your loan info say? Does everybody have loan info?


I have loan info, but nothing else. Hit "Award Details" on the left-hand side once you get into MyFinAid from BearFacts. That $52,000 per year PLUS loan staring back at me is a lil' much...

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:42 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Sinra wrote:Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.


You have loan info!?! I only have grant information and am really interested in the loan part of this equation. What does your loan info say? Does everybody have loan info?


I have loan info, but nothing else. Hit "Award Details" on the left-hand side once you get into MyFinAid from BearFacts. That $52,000 per year PLUS loan staring back at me is a lil' much...


I've done that. I have law grant $$ but no loans listed. I hope I'm not the only one like this . . .

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:43 pm

Loan is always going to be 8500 Stafford, 10500 Unsub Stafford, and rest PLUS, unless your financial aid eligibility is less than 20500 (total - grant aid - scholarship - other gift aid - expected family contribution) then you will get mostly PLUS.

ETA I don't think they will assign you loan eligibility until other gift aid (i.e. scholarships) are finalized, and/or until you go through verification.

fish52
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby fish52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:46 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
c_dubya_s wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Sinra wrote:Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.


You have loan info!?! I only have grant information and am really interested in the loan part of this equation. What does your loan info say? Does everybody have loan info?


I have loan info, but nothing else. Hit "Award Details" on the left-hand side once you get into MyFinAid from BearFacts. That $52,000 per year PLUS loan staring back at me is a lil' much...


I've done that. I have law grant $$ but no loans listed. I hope I'm not the only one like this . . .

Can we trade? haha I have all loans and no grant money.... which I'm absolutely shocked about because, aside from having kids, I don't know how I could be any more deserving of need-based aid...

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
Sinra wrote:Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.


You have loan info!?! I only have grant information and am really interested in the loan part of this equation. What does your loan info say? Does everybody have loan info?


I have loan info, but nothing else. Hit "Award Details" on the left-hand side once you get into MyFinAid from BearFacts. That $52,000 per year PLUS loan staring back at me is a lil' much...


Yea...I was like what!!?!?!?!

But now I am calm.

When will we hear on scholarships? Sorry if this is answered.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:47 pm

r6_philly wrote:Loan is always going to be 8500 Stafford, 10500 Unsub Stafford, and rest PLUS, unless your financial aid eligibility is less than 20500 (total - grant aid - scholarship - other gift aid - expected family contribution) then you will get mostly PLUS.

ETA I don't think they will assign you loan eligibility until other gift aid (i.e. scholarships) are finalized, and/or until you go through verification.


I think you mean $12,000 Unsub Stafford, right?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:48 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Loan is always going to be 8500 Stafford, 10500 Unsub Stafford, and rest PLUS, unless your financial aid eligibility is less than 20500 (total - grant aid - scholarship - other gift aid - expected family contribution) then you will get mostly PLUS.

ETA I don't think they will assign you loan eligibility until other gift aid (i.e. scholarships) are finalized, and/or until you go through verification.


I think you mean $12,000 Unsub Stafford, right?


yes $12000 sorry. Eating lunch.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Yea...I was like what!!?!?!?!

But now I am calm.

When will we hear on scholarships? Sorry if this is answered.


Official answer was "now through June". I have no idea how it works. I though back in November that we would be considered in Jan. But apparently not yet. I hope I hear something soon. At leas a yes or no.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Loan is always going to be 8500 Stafford, 10500 Unsub Stafford, and rest PLUS, unless your financial aid eligibility is less than 20500 (total - grant aid - scholarship - other gift aid - expected family contribution) then you will get mostly PLUS.

ETA I don't think they will assign you loan eligibility until other gift aid (i.e. scholarships) are finalized, and/or until you go through verification.


I think you mean $12,000 Unsub Stafford, right?


yes $12000 sorry. Eating lunch.

Mmmm, lunch :) .

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Loan is always going to be 8500 Stafford, 10500 Unsub Stafford, and rest PLUS, unless your financial aid eligibility is less than 20500 (total - grant aid - scholarship - other gift aid - expected family contribution) then you will get mostly PLUS.

ETA I don't think they will assign you loan eligibility until other gift aid (i.e. scholarships) are finalized, and/or until you go through verification.


I think you mean $12,000 Unsub Stafford, right?


yes $12000 sorry. Eating lunch.


I'm eating breakfast! :D Very late though...lol

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:51 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I'm eating breakfast! :D Very late though...lol


I don't really eat breakfast, so you are earlier than me lol

Lamb and Chicken over rice with hot sauce. I am not really thinking about numbers and such lol

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby mistermister » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:54 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
mistermister wrote:WL here... I know Berk doesn't have a deposit, but what do they have instead and what is its deadline?

They want to know what you are going to do by April 15th. They give you three options: 1) No thanks, I'll go to school elsewhere; 2) Thanks, I'm completely committed to attending Berkeley and will pull out from all other schools; and 3) Thanks, I plan to attend Berkeley but can not commit 100% yet.

They say they will hold a seat for you if you pick option 3, but it still makes me nervous (I would just die if I picked option 3 to wait longer to hear back from HYS, only to be denied by them and find out the Berkeley gave my seat to someone else). I'm not sure how others ITT feel about this--I could just be crazy paranoid.


I wonder what the point of even offering option 3 is...

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:56 pm

Isn't Option 3 like a free deposit? It's not like they're going to give your spot away, they're just not asking for a deposit in return for you withdrawing from all waitlists/deposited schools by June 1st. At other schools you can deposit and stay on waitlists throughout the summer. You can't do this at Berk.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Well now that I have practically no status checkers I have a new obsession. Checking my financial aid!

Waiting to hear from Michigan. Pretty much ready to commit to Boalt as soon as I hear from them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm

aesis wrote:Isn't Option 3 like a free deposit? It's not like they're going to give your spot away, they're just not asking for a deposit in return for you withdrawing from all waitlists/deposited schools by June 1st. At other schools you can deposit and stay on waitlists throughout the summer. You can't do this at Berk.


So since we don't "deposit" by 4/15 (because we only do that until 6/1) that means we can deposit at another school and not actually be double deposited?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:00 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Well now that I have practically no status checkers I have a new obsession. Checking my financial aid!

Waiting to hear from Michigan. Pretty much ready to commit to Boalt as soon as I hear from them.


You get most likely get nothing from Michigan if you received scholarship. I got 0.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 27888
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

I really urge all of you waiting on financial aid to read the post I made a little while ago in this thread. Don't be offended if your award is nothing at all or significantly less than you wish, and don't immediately give up on Boalt if you don't get the amount you feel you want or need and Berkeley is your dream or top choice.

I nearly did, and am very glad I didn't. That said, I hope you all rock full schollys. Good luck.

fish52
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby fish52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Looks like for those of us who submitted the Supplemental Application for need-based aid after the March 2 deadline, Boalt hasn't decided when they are going to start considering us for aid. I sent mine in the morning after the deadline and will probably now get shafted for need-based aid...

I feel sick.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

Kronk wrote:I really urge all of you waiting on financial aid to read the post I made a little while ago in this thread. Don't be offended if your award is nothing at all or significantly less than you wish, and don't immediately give up on Boalt if you don't get the amount you feel you want or need and Berkeley is your dream or top choice.

I nearly did, and am very glad I didn't. That said, I hope you all rock full schollys. Good luck.


If you want to point me to how to get that full scholly I'd appreciate it :mrgreen:

Thanks for the voice of reason.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby aesis » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
aesis wrote:Isn't Option 3 like a free deposit? It's not like they're going to give your spot away, they're just not asking for a deposit in return for you withdrawing from all waitlists/deposited schools by June 1st. At other schools you can deposit and stay on waitlists throughout the summer. You can't do this at Berk.


So since we don't "deposit" by 4/15 (because we only do that until 6/1) that means we can deposit at another school and not actually be double deposited?


I'm guessing that would depend on the restrictions for the second school, like if you deposit, you are required to withdraw from all schools you have been admitted to -- Boalt included. If so, you can't double deposit. If not, woohoo.

edit: doesn't look like there are any stipulations regarding deposits in the "tentatively attending" option.
Last edited by aesis on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:06 pm

aesis wrote:
I'm guessing that would depend on the restrictions for the second school, like if you deposit, you are required to withdraw from all schools you have been admitted to -- Boalt included. If so, you can't double deposit. If not, woohoo.


Deadline for UVA is 5/17 for reserving 2 seats. I guess so it can cover the later deadlines. 2 extra weeks to work with for $500.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Kronk wrote:I really urge all of you waiting on financial aid to read the post I made a little while ago in this thread. Don't be offended if your award is nothing at all or significantly less than you wish, and don't immediately give up on Boalt if you don't get the amount you feel you want or need and Berkeley is your dream or top choice.

I nearly did, and am very glad I didn't. That said, I hope you all rock full schollys. Good luck.


Yea...well she told me it was going to change and that some people were still under review. So I'm remaining hopeful for now. :D

User avatar
re-applicant
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby re-applicant » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:10 pm

My bearfacts is telling me my expected cost of attendance will be $72,878.00?! That's quite a bit above the 67k I remember seeing on the admit website.

Not that I think their living expenses budget of 22,000 is realistically near necessary unless you're living in SF and spending too much at the bars. I got by for well under 10,000 a year for rent as undergrad--not including summer sublets. I lived in a closet, but it can be done.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Woohoo! Homework for ASW! :)

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby cardinals1989 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:16 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Woohoo! Homework for ASW! :)


Yep, just got that, too! I am much more excited about this homework than my actual school homework!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”