In at Berkeley!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:33 am

mine just shows up like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/Simbadaman/Screenshot2011-03-28at113133PM.png

EDIT: got rid of the image in the box because it stretched the box funny

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28179
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:03 am

Hit the "go" button.

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:31 am

Ah, that wasn't working earlier but it is now!

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's working right though...

it says expected graduation as May 2012 and it says my EFC and family EFC is 0.00

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:46 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Ah, that wasn't working earlier but it is now!

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's working right though...

it says expected graduation as May 2012 and it says my EFC and family EFC is 0.00


Sounds like it is. If they gave you any gift/need aid, it would show up in the budget as "law grant". So if your total is 78k with no resources available to pay toward it on the worksheet then no grant.

User avatar
paisaaa
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:28 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby paisaaa » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:00 am

WonkyPanda wrote:Ah, that wasn't working earlier but it is now!

EDIT: I'm not sure if it's working right though...

it says expected graduation as May 2012 and it says my EFC and family EFC is 0.00


Mine said the same and I simply updated the graduation information to 2014. Don't know if I was supposed to or not though.

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby champsound » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 am

Anyone notice how Berkeley Law's matching program doesn't include Northwestern in its list of schools?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:35 am

champsound wrote:Anyone notice how Berkeley Law's matching program doesn't include Northwestern in its list of schools?


Yup. NU seems to throw around a lot of money.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am

Mine just started to work but is that award amount final for need based? Or maybe they are still uploading?

I got nearly $20,000 from UCLA and Berkeley is showing as 0 for grant....

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:19 am

askyemcdonald wrote:Mine just started to work but is that award amount final for need based? Or maybe they are still uploading?

I got nearly $20,000 from UCLA and Berkeley is showing as 0 for grant....


Give it until ASW to see if more things show up. Then make an appoint to talk to them if you still don't see anything. Penn had an issue getting the right amount up on the first day, so don't panic yet.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:23 am

r6_philly wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Mine just started to work but is that award amount final for need based? Or maybe they are still uploading?

I got nearly $20,000 from UCLA and Berkeley is showing as 0 for grant....


Give it until ASW to see if more things show up. Then make an appoint to talk to them if you still don't see anything. Penn had an issue getting the right amount up on the first day, so don't panic yet.


....ok....have to say I already hit panic mode.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am

Alrighty.

Called financial aid. They said that some are still being reviewed and that mine will change. WHEW!

She said it wil be updated before ASW....so no more panic mode til then. :D

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:41 am

So I've been receiving some advice to try negotiating with Berkeley, even though I haven't actually gotten an offer from them yet, and even though the schools I've received money from aren't on their matching schools list. Should I try to schedule a meeting with the financial aid office during ASW to talk about negotiating? I worry about waiting until after receiving my offer to start negotiating, since I have multiple deposit deadlines on the 15th--I'm running out of time!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:44 am

askyemcdonald wrote:Alrighty.

Called financial aid. They said that some are still being reviewed and that mine will change. WHEW!

She said it wil be updated before ASW....so no more panic mode til then. :D


Oh didn't want to believe lil ole me :P

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am

r6_philly wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:Alrighty.

Called financial aid. They said that some are still being reviewed and that mine will change. WHEW!

She said it wil be updated before ASW....so no more panic mode til then. :D


Oh didn't want to believe lil ole me :P


:D :D I was just panicked! LOL

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby champsound » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:08 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:So I've been receiving some advice to try negotiating with Berkeley, even though I haven't actually gotten an offer from them yet, and even though the schools I've received money from aren't on their matching schools list. Should I try to schedule a meeting with the financial aid office during ASW to talk about negotiating? I worry about waiting until after receiving my offer to start negotiating, since I have multiple deposit deadlines on the 15th--I'm running out of time!

From the Berkeley Law ASW... sounds bad for you sorry:

Does Berkeley Law ever give Matching Scholarships to admits that have scholarship offers from schools not on the list above?

The 2010-11 list of peer schools eligible for Matching Scholarship consideration (indicated above) is final. Every year we receive inquiries from admitted students that have scholarship offers from schools not on this list asking if we are able to make exceptions and allow them to apply. Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate those requests.

but hey, maybe they will just offer you money by themselves.

edit: btw the list indicated above is t14 minus Northwestern. No, not Texas.

juliachild-ish
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby juliachild-ish » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:55 pm

champsound wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:So I've been receiving some advice to try negotiating with Berkeley, even though I haven't actually gotten an offer from them yet, and even though the schools I've received money from aren't on their matching schools list. Should I try to schedule a meeting with the financial aid office during ASW to talk about negotiating? I worry about waiting until after receiving my offer to start negotiating, since I have multiple deposit deadlines on the 15th--I'm running out of time!

From the Berkeley Law ASW... sounds bad for you sorry:

Does Berkeley Law ever give Matching Scholarships to admits that have scholarship offers from schools not on the list above?

The 2010-11 list of peer schools eligible for Matching Scholarship consideration (indicated above) is final. Every year we receive inquiries from admitted students that have scholarship offers from schools not on this list asking if we are able to make exceptions and allow them to apply. Unfortunately we are not able to accommodate those requests.

but hey, maybe they will just offer you money by themselves.

edit: btw the list indicated above is t14 minus Northwestern. No, not Texas.


Yeah, I know that neither Texas and Northwestern is on that list. Sigh, really should have applied to more schools in the T14. My one hope is that I don't need them to match other scholarships...I just need them to give me some money to make the decision more justifiable. So I guess I'll see what happens if I apply outside the matching scholarship form, and just send an unsolicited letter. Can't hurt, right?

mistermister
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby mistermister » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:14 pm

WL here... I know Berk doesn't have a deposit, but what do they have instead and what is its deadline?

fish52
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby fish52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:21 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Alrighty.

Called financial aid. They said that some are still being reviewed and that mine will change. WHEW!

She said it wil be updated before ASW....so no more panic mode til then. :D

Did they look up yours specifically? Or did she just say "they'll change" across the board? I also have 0 and, to be honest, I'm EXTREMELY shocked. My EFC and student contribution are both 0....

User avatar
WonkyPanda
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby WonkyPanda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:28 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:Alrighty.

Called financial aid. They said that some are still being reviewed and that mine will change. WHEW!

She said it wil be updated before ASW....so no more panic mode til then. :D


Thank god because I am in the same boat as you

User avatar
Sinra
Posts: 240
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby Sinra » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 pm

Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:30 pm

She looked me up directly. But I am assuming there are others in the same boat.

fish52
Posts: 212
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby fish52 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:33 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:She looked me up directly. But I am assuming there are others in the same boat.

I hope to god it changes... that $0 for gift aid and $77,086 for net cost will mean I'm heading elsewhere, otherwise... hope that doesn't become the case :(

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:34 pm

mistermister wrote:WL here... I know Berk doesn't have a deposit, but what do they have instead and what is its deadline?

They want to know what you are going to do by April 15th. They give you three options: 1) No thanks, I'll go to school elsewhere; 2) Thanks, I'm completely committed to attending Berkeley and will pull out from all other schools; and 3) Thanks, I plan to attend Berkeley but can not commit 100% yet.

They say they will hold a seat for you if you pick option 3, but it still makes me nervous (I would just die if I picked option 3 to wait longer to hear back from HYS, only to be denied by them and find out the Berkeley gave my seat to someone else). I'm not sure how others ITT feel about this--I could just be crazy paranoid.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Sinra wrote:Question: When you look at the loan details it says "Fall 2010" and "Spring 2011". Have they not updated yet to the new semesters? It's under the 2011-12 year though. Strange.

I love Berkeley.


You have loan info!?! I only have grant information and am really interested in the loan part of this equation. What does your loan info say? Does everybody have loan info?

User avatar
askyemcdonald
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: In at Berkeley!

Postby askyemcdonald » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:40 pm

fish52 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:She looked me up directly. But I am assuming there are others in the same boat.

I hope to god it changes... that $0 for gift aid and $77,086 for net cost will mean I'm heading elsewhere, otherwise... hope that doesn't become the case :(


Yea...I felt the exact same way. Don't panic until after ASW.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”